The Student Room Group

Why won't he let me forget him?

Warning: long story...

A few years ago I started talking to this guy who I'd fancied for ages but never had the guts to go up and speak to him, and then out of the blue, he approached me and we started talking and flirting.

After about a year of a perfect 'relationship', he and I got into an argument over some guy I'd briefly spoken to. The fact that he was mad at me for speaking to him didn't bother me because I liked the fact that he was possessive over me...in fact, I really liked that he cared that much about me. But the argument blew out of proportion, and eventually he said it was better if we just carried on as 'friends' and nothing more. It broke my heart so much but I just couldn't let him out of my life so I told him I would be just his 'friend'. It was breaking my heart but he would tell me about how he was flirting with random girls, and eventually after I told him how much it was affecting me, he said he was doing it on purpose to make me like him less because he just wanted to be my friend now :frown:

I was so into him it hurt, and when he went to uni and things went from bad to worse. We spoke less and less, and he didn't make any time for me. In the end we just stopped speaking altogether. I sent him an email a few months later telling him that I was sorry for how things happened and that I hoped things were going well in his life, it was pretty much a goodbye (the email was more detailed and might as well have been an essay, but I needed to just tell him everything I didn't get a chance to say earlier). He didn't reply. I never expected him to, and I took that as closure and was at peace with the fact that we'd never speak again. It became a lot easier to forget about him. We hadn't spoken in over a year, but every now and then I'd get a painful feeling when things reminded me of him, it actually got to the point where I would avoid watching movies or listening to music that once came up in a conversation with him. It did get easier with time, and I can honestly say I had almost forgotten about him completely. I didn't go on the rebound or anything, I didn't even talk to any guy in the 15months we were apart because I felt like I was cheating on him, but now it finally felt like I could talk to and flirt with whoever, but I still didn't. No one ever came close to filling his place in my life, but I was happy knowing that I was going to be off to uni soon and things might change.

When I got my results last month, I updated my education on facebook to show which university I was going to. As he's still a friend on my facebook, I knew he would see it, along with all of the other things I had posted and updated throughout the years. A few days later he sent me an email saying congratulations, and that he always believed in me. I was completely thrown off course, and it was the last thing I expected. We exchanged a few messages and then just stopped talking again.

Where do I go from here? I was so ready to start university with a fresh beginning and leave him behind, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about him since. I don't know why he bothered to email me NOW, after he had a whole year to do so. I thought he never wanted to speak to me again, and I was convinced he had forgotten all about me. I'm so confused and so hurt because all of these memories keep coming back to me and all I can think about is the time we spent together. What do I do now? Do you think he still thinks about me like I think about him? :frown:

Sorry for the long post!
Reply 1
I say you forget about him- you deserve better! Uni will introduce you to people you never thought you'd meet...look forward to that instead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending