The Student Room Group

Something a teacher said to me today

Hello, I was considering swapping a religion to maths and decided to go and talk to my year head (who is a maths teacher) and she took me to see the Head of Department. He asked me what I got in maths at GCSE and I replied "An A." (which I had previously felt was good) to which he said "Oh? Not an A *?". He then asked what I got in religion, to which I once again said "An A." and he replied "Not an A* either?" in a rather malicious manor. I felt so crushed and a bit incompetent when he said this. Am I just overreacting?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zadeth
Hello, I was considering swapping a religion to maths and decided to go and talk to my year head (who is a maths teacher) and she took me to see the Head of Department. He asked me what I got in maths at GCSE and I replied "An A." (which I had previously felt was good) to which he said "Oh? Not an A *?". He then asked what I got in religion, to which I once again said "An A." and he replied "Not an A* either?" in a rather malicious manor. I felt so crushed, upset and worthless when he said this. Am I just overreacting?

yes
Reply 2
Just ignore him, he's an *******. An A is really good. I got an A in religion but a C in maths, but no-one gave me that crap. Just keep smiling and remember you did the best to your ability and you should be proud. There's not much in the difference between an A and A* at GCSE. Don't let bullies like him (even though he is a teacher, he is still a bully who probably enjoys making people feel bad about themselves) bother you.
Reply 3
Maybe he was joking, or a giant turd? An A in Maths is great by the way. If you want to swap, I don't think there is anything stopping you. You should be able to since you got an A in Maths.
Reply 4
If he cares about GCSE more than AS/A Level, he has a problem.
Original post by geebee
Just ignore him, he's an *******. An A is really good. I got an A in religion but a C in maths, but no-one gave me that crap. Just keep smiling and remember you did the best to your ability and you should be proud. There's not much in the difference between an A and A* at GCSE. Don't let bullies like him (even though he is a teacher, he is still a bully who probably enjoys making people feel bad about themselves) bother you.

We get high praise if we get a C..
Reply 6
Original post by Zadeth
Hello, I was considering swapping a religion to maths and decided to go and talk to my year head (who is a maths teacher) and she took me to see the Head of Department. He asked me what I got in maths at GCSE and I replied "An A." (which I had previously felt was good) to which he said "Oh? Not an A *?". He then asked what I got in religion, to which I once again said "An A." and he replied "Not an A* either?" in a rather malicious manor. I felt so crushed and a bit incompetent when he said this. Am I just overreacting?

I would actually complain about that sort of behaviour especially as your a student and to be treated in such a way....hate teachers who think they can get away with whatever just cos they are a teacher.
Reply 7
He should join TSR.
Reply 8
Original post by geebee

I got the highest religion mark in my old school and was very close to get the top maths mark also. It wouldn't have bothered me as much if it was just about maths as it may have contributed to how difficult I found it (although I was a bit annoyed) but when he mentioned the religion I just felt so incompetent.
Reply 9
It is not professional behaviour to belittle the achievements of pupils... what were they thinking ?
Grade a is a very respectable result in both subjects and should be accepted for entry to A or AS maths.
Reply 10
Take no notice of him, an A is a high mark for clever people! Taking him, what you got and what others want you to do out of the equation, what would you like to do?
Reply 11
Original post by samjj8
Take no notice of him, an A is a high mark for clever people! Taking him, what you got and what others want you to do out of the equation, what would you like to do?

I DO like religion AS (and my teacher said from the essay I handed her that she's happy she'll be able to predict a few A*s for AS, one of which being me [I missed half of the first topic and got 85% in one essay and I completed another essay but didn't finish it and got 90%]) but I miss maths a lot. It may be that I just miss my old teacher (I loved her) but I've just had a certain maths shaped void the past few days.
(edited 11 years ago)
You should have asked him what he got in both subjects. If he said Bs, you could have said,"oh, not As like me then?" :tongue:
Original post by Zadeth

Teachers can be idiots sometimes. Just ignore him and get the grades you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
He just wants you to do well at A level and of course an A is AMAZING but what's wrong with that? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by the bear
It is not professional behaviour to belittle the achievements of pupils... what were they thinking ?
Grade a is a very respectable result in both subjects and should be accepted for entry to A or AS maths.

Lool not professional? I wish they would bear that in mind, in the beginning of year 11 my science teacher said I won't be able to get a B in gcse's, never mind be able to do a levels, and medicine at uni was impossible for me. When I said I'll work hard, he goes it's not about that, you need to be naturally bright. He then said he can guarantee that, even if I do somehow manage to get B or above in my science gcse's, there is no way I'll ever be able to get good a-level grades to do medicine. He actually guaranteed it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
I bet he's on tsr somewhere :colone:

Well, if he is, I hope he sees this:

You, sir, are an absolute a*shole.
Reply 17
Original post by pinkspark
Lool not professional? I wish they would bear that in mind, in the beginning of year 11 my science teacher said I won't be able to get a B in gcse's, never mind be able to do a levels, and medicine at uni was impossible for me. When I said I'll work hard, he goes it's not about that, you need to be naturally bright. He then said he can guarantee that, even if I do somehow manage to get B or above in my science gcse's, there is no way I'll ever be able to get good a-level grades to do medicine. He actually guaranteed it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I hope you prove him wrong :wink:
My A at GCSE maths led to a good degree in the subject and a phd place.
Your teacher is just being stupid. I got a B in gcse maths and I went on to do AS maths, which I got a B. It may not be tsr standard, but what im trying to say that plenty of people in my college who has got A or A* for maths in gcse did a lot worse than me. When I see colleges that only allow people who has got A or A* in maths for gcse to do AS maths, I get annoyed because they're hindering peoples ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending