The Student Room Group

Elat 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nigeyy
Nope!
You're my first morgan!
an insanely cool name too, if I may add so :smile:

Hertford looks really nice too but for me St. Anne's drew me in with how simple and down to earth everything was there. And there was this lecturer who began this taster we had by quoting bob Dylan .. so i was sold from that moment on haha :L

I never really researched as to how the interview process was going to go but i was set on st. anne's

I'll keep an eye out when in Waterstones or W.H. Smith for your books in the near future :wink: haha

x

Hahaha thank you :biggrin:

Wow that's so cool! Yeahhh I really hope Hertford is all down to earth and kind of atypical for an Oxford college :smile: I don't mind traditional but I really don't want it to be pretentious!

Haha yep, make sure you do ;P

x
Original post by Shatarupa
No, I'm certain you will, and that sounds good. I didn;t have to go to my UCL interview as it was on the same morning as the ELAT! Im havng to do a questionanrie thing instead :P

Aww thanks I'm sure you will too :smile: Oh gosh yeah that would have been too stressful! Ooh what kind of questions are on the questionnaire?
Reply 182
Original post by Morgasm19
Aww thanks I'm sure you will too :smile: Oh gosh yeah that would have been too stressful! Ooh what kind of questions are on the questionnaire?

Hey, they asked me to do an essay and write 400 words on 2 books each that ive read in the past 2 years, also also list everything ive read too :P
Hey, they asked me to do an essay and write 400 words on 2 books each that ive read in the past 2 years, also also list everything ive read too :P

Woah, intense! Which books are you gonna write 400 words about? :biggrin:
Reply 184
Original post by Morgasm19
Woah, intense! Which books are you gonna write 400 words about? :biggrin:

Don't know yet, was thinking of readin on the road (is that appropriate? :P )
Don't know yet, was thinking of readin on the road (is that appropriate? :P )

Oooh yeah I've heard it's really good! Haven't read it myself I have to say haha but yeah from what I know of it, it was really influential and highly regarded :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by emilyjcastles
OH MY GOD REALLY?!? My C was in lit, but I got an E in the actual exam - and again I got the highest in my school!!! (and I got 28/30 on both courseworks!) WHATS GOING ON??? I got an A in Eng Lan, but for Lit everyone was totally puzzled, we all got A's in our mocks D: It seems we have been taught how to answer questions wrong, what our teachers were giving band 6's to before the exam they are now giving band 2's?!? How they are now telling us to write is totally different from how they were telling us to write last year - it's so annoying!! My E was in history and was equally as irritating, I got an A in my mock again and we called back my paper and my teacher said he would have given it a B D: What is life???

EDIT: And I understand your doubt with Oxbridge - but I was always going to apply no matter what I got at AS! I just had to! I just hope that the rest of my application, ELAT and the big essay by tutor wrote about how he doesnt know what the hell is going in Lit and History, will give me just the slightest chance...

Well I'm not applying for Eng Lit, but for History instead! I was so disheartened with that English grade though...

I was intending to apply to Oxford, but the grade put dampers on that. However, after speaking to a new teacher - who didn't know I was going to apply - talked about how she'd always regretted not applying, so, with a week to go, I started my P.S and sent it off haha.

I'm highly doubtful I'll get an interview (I mean, it's so unlikely) which is quite guttering, but at least I know how far I'd have got!
Hello!

I've applied to Wadham College (anybody else?) for English literature and sat the ELAT a couple of weeks ago. It's only in hindsight that I realised I may have buggered the whole thing up. After watching the Presidential election the night before (rather foolishly) I tired myself out and completely forgot about the exam. After a couple of energy drinks and a prep talk from one of the chaps in my form I got into the exam only to disregard the whole italic font for pointless information about writing in black ink and ballpoint pens. Much to my dismay, I realised that this was, in fact, the question! Call me a moron, but I thought the question said "Find something that interests you and chat about it" - or something along those lines. I hope I've not shattered my chances on a blasted misreading. The essay I submitted was of relatively good quality though so that should hopefully compromise, right? I tell you, I'm rather nervous about the whole shabang, which I wasn't expecting! (Not that I'm overtly modest, I just thought I'd overlook it as a 'wild card', but now I've realised how much I really want to go)

Anyhow, good luck everybody! Be sure to inform about interviews. I don't expect I'll be attending one myself!
Original post by Oswald Perriduke
Hello!

I've applied to Wadham College (anybody else?) for English literature and sat the ELAT a couple of weeks ago. It's only in hindsight that I realised I may have buggered the whole thing up. After watching the Presidential election the night before (rather foolishly) I tired myself out and completely forgot about the exam. After a couple of energy drinks and a prep talk from one of the chaps in my form I got into the exam only to disregard the whole italic font for pointless information about writing in black ink and ballpoint pens. Much to my dismay, I realised that this was, in fact, the question! Call me a moron, but I thought the question said "Find something that interests you and chat about it" - or something along those lines. I hope I've not shattered my chances on a blasted misreading. The essay I submitted was of relatively good quality though so that should hopefully compromise, right? I tell you, I'm rather nervous about the whole shabang, which I wasn't expecting! (Not that I'm overtly modest, I just thought I'd overlook it as a 'wild card', but now I've realised how much I really want to go)

Anyhow, good luck everybody! Be sure to inform about interviews. I don't expect I'll be attending one myself!

I applied to Wadham as well, if we both get interviews I'll take you for a piss up
Original post by JCC-MGS
I applied to Wadham as well, if we both get interviews I'll take you for a piss up

Wonderful news! I hear there are some excellent pubs nearby. I'm sure we can always sneak with the Balliol bunch. I know a couple of Harrow School old boys at Christ Church too we may be able to sneak with! What have you applied for?

O.P
Wonderful news! I hear there are some excellent pubs nearby. I'm sure we can always sneak with the Balliol bunch. I know a couple of Harrow School old boys at Christ Church too we may be able to sneak with! What have you applied for?

O.P

I had an interview there last year for History & Politics so I know the pubs and off-licenses a little too well by now:beer:, no need to sneak away last year we just got pissed in my room. I've applied for English Lang & Lit
Original post by JCC-MGS

I'm applying to Wadham as well, tell me how your interview goes as I cocked up ELAT as well :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I did 'The Pact' and 'Before you were gone.' Did anyone else do the same?
Original post by BlamelessJak
I'm applying to Wadham as well, tell me how your interview goes as I cocked up ELAT as well :/

How did you cock it up?

O.P

I'm a Wadham hopeful also, and so very very up for this! Anyone know when we hear about our ELAT, by the way?
Reply 195
Original post by emmytnotsogreat
I'm a Wadham hopeful also, and so very very up for this! Anyone know when we hear about our ELAT, by the way?

We find out in January, you should've been given a login? Seems pretty pointless anyway, seeing as we'll know by then whether we've been successful or not but there you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Has anyone heard back from St Johns yet?

Anyone heard from Exeter College?!
Not yet! Haha, getting nervous.
Anyone from Wadham? The tension is building a heck of a lot.

Also, wishing people luck is a silly superstition but I'm willing to put my empiricism aside for this moment in time: good luck, chaps and ladies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending