The Student Room Group

To people applying for Medicine

I'm a 3rd year medical student, and I just want to give some advice to you prospective medics out there.

Please for the love of god, do medicine for the right reasons. Know exactly why you want to become a doctor. When i was a applying i had not a clue what was to entail, i knew it was gonna be hard, lots of work blah blah blah - but i didnt realise the extent to which this was true. I look back at A Levels at think how piss easy they are compared to this. I never really truely sat down and thought why on earth do i want to do a job where its stressful, the pay is NOT as amazing as people thing it is, a job that takes over your life literally.

Because once you're in, you're in. I've seen many people drop out of medical school cause they only realised what they were getting themseleves into once they got here. So just think twice.

When you're stressed, got a ton of work to do and see all your non medic friends partying all the time you're not gonna give a **** about the prestige, the idea of being a 'dr'...

Obvs its not all bad, good points too. But i just feel most sixth form students that i talk to that want to do medicine really are pretty clueless about what it's actually like to be a medical student and a doctor.

Instead of work experience in a gp surgery/care home or whatever , talk to current medical students and foundation doctors.

edit: I'm not saying i regret it, I hate medical school. I still want to become a doctor. But im just sayign when I look back to when i was applying for medicine I thought i knew what being a doctor was about ( i did all my work experiences etc) and what medical school would be like but i really didnt. And I dont think most people do.

Good luck x

I get the feeling im gonna be negged but i dont give a ****, as long at least 1 person maybe has taken something from this
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would you do it again if you had the opportunity?
Reply 2
Original post by STOmelody
Would you do it again if you had the opportunity?

I'm not sure tbh. Its only once ive got to medical school ive seen that being a doctor isnt all its cracked up to be. I do still want to become a doctor...just not as much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
What medical school are you at? :smile:
What should be the right reasons to be a doctor?
Original post by A100whoo
I'm a 3rd year medical student, and I just want to give some advice to you prospective medics out there.

Please for the love of god, do medicine for the right reasons. Know exactly why you want to become a doctor. When i was a applying i had not a clue what was to entail, i knew it was gonna be hard, lots of work blah blah blah - but i didnt realise the extent to which this was true. I look back at A Levels at think how piss easy they are compared to this. I never really truely sat down and thought why on earth do i want to do a job where its stressful, the pay is NOT as amazing as people thing it is, a job that takes over your life literally.

Because once you're in, you're in. I've seen many people drop out of medical school cause they only realised what they were getting themseleves into once they got here. So just think twice.

When you're stressed, got a ton of work to do and see all your non medic friends partying all the time you're not gonna give a **** about the prestige, the idea of being a 'dr'...

Obvs its not all bad, good points too. But i just feel most sixth form students that i talk to that want to do medicine really are pretty clueless about what it's actually like to be a medical student and a doctor.

Instead of work experience in a gp surgery/care home or whatever , talk to current medical students and foundation doctors.

Good luck x

I get the feeling im gonna be negged but i dont give a ****, as long at least 1 person maybe has taken something from this

what would you say are the worst aspects? is it sometimes boring? btw you've just gained a new stalker :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Nucleophile9
What should be the right reasons to be a doctor?

You actually enjoy medicine. You have real interest in diseases, treating people etc.

Not simply 'yeah, i like science, i like people... meh'
Reply 7
Original post by syhash
What medical school are you at? :smile:

thats irrelevent, they're all pretty similar
Reply 8

Oh okay, I was just curious because your profile says you're in Leeds..and I'm thinking of applying to Leeds to do medicine. Do you have any recommendations of medical schools?
Reply 9
Original post by gingerandice
what would you say are the worst aspects? is it sometimes boring? btw you've just gained a new stalker :smile:

Yes it is pretty boring at times when you're spending 3 hours a week doing histology looking down a microscope.

The sheer workload

Pissy medics- very close knit claustrophobic and most tend to be southern private school kids

High expectations from you

etc etc.

Look there are some good points too (i find learning about certain medical conditions interesting, learning some clinical skills and going on the wards is pretty cool etc), im not saying its completely ****. My point is most people dont know much about the bad points.
I'm not sure tbh. Its only once ive got to medical school ive seen that being a doctor isnt all its cracked up to be. I do still want to become a doctor...just not as much.

If you could do any other degree what would you have done apart from medicine?
Reply 11
Original post by syhash
Oh okay, I was just curious because your profile says you're in Leeds..and I'm thinking of applying to Leeds to do medicine. Do you have any recommendations of medical schools?

No im not in leeds.

I say hullyork/keele/durham/ maybe

It depends on what you whether you like cities/rural areas/ pbl. And of course where you think you'll get in
Reply 12
Is it really that bad? I always wanted to study Medicine, but the way you put it makes it seem pretty bad. I mean I like Science a lot and especially the idea of working with infectious diseases (I want to be a Pathologist mainly) but should my interest in it be stronger? Like I don't specifically go out of my way to google about diseases or attend conventions or anything? Should I be having that attitude for it to be right for me? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
A very honest piece of advice. Thank you. :smile:
Might i ask just how much work/studying do you do in an average week. The best answer i can usually get for this question is a lot.
So perhaps if you could tell me in terms of the number of hours?
Reply 14
Original post by Future Drugist
If you could do any other degree what would you have done apart from medicine?

I do like science. I always liked chemistry (though I didnt like labs).

I do still want to be a doctor, but if not that I'd be a teacher
Reply 15
Yes it is pretty boring at times when you're spending 3 hours a week doing histology looking down a microscope.

The sheer workload

Pissy medics- very close knit claustrophobic and most tend to be southern private school kids

High expectations from you

etc etc.

Look there are some good points too (i find learning about certain medical conditions interesting, learning some clinical skills and going on the wards is pretty cool etc), im not saying its completely ****. My point is most people dont know much about the bad points.

how much work do you have to do a night ?? and do you ever get time to go out?
Reply 16

Which is why medicine should be grad entry :yes:

Overall though, it sounds like you've been working very hard, and that that is the main reason you are ranting. Simply put, that's you as much as the course. Not everyone is like that.

They're really not.
Reply 17
No im not in leeds.

I say hullyork/keele/durham/ maybe

It depends on what you whether you like cities/rural areas/ pbl. And of course where you think you'll get in

Okay thanks! Thanks for the advice too btw :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by dinrah04
Is it really that bad? I always wanted to study Medicine, but the way you put it makes it seem pretty bad. I mean I like Science a lot and especially the idea of working with infectious diseases (I want to be a Pathologist mainly) but should my interest in it be stronger? Like I don't specifically go out of my way to google about diseases or attend conventions or anything? Should I be having that attitude for it to be right for me? :s-smilie:

I dont want to put people off, Im sure there prospective medics out there that are gonna be brill doctors. I just want you to sit down and honestly, properly think about it.

Lol no, i think most medics dont bother looking up diseases in their spare time we do enough as it is. I think when you're learning about infectious diseases you should enjoy it ( not overly like be obssesed) but take a keen interest, want to know more be intrigued etc.

Amount of work varies, depends on how clever you are/good ur memory is. I say I used to do about 3 hours after med skool every day.
Original post by dinrah04

hey dinrah nice to see you here xD and the idea of googling disease sounds rather interesting to me :/ :L

TO OP:

Good luck x

and well i kinda research stuff by reading BMJ or student BMJ, sadly im not old enough to get experience and im not in 6th form but medicine is my aspiration, mainly because of my grandma's death from cancer so i always wanted to be oncologist because of it or perhaps a peadatrician because on of my mums friends had a son who died at a young age from a disease.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending