The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does GCSE grades Really Matter for LSE (Economics)

My GCSE Grades were 1A* 7A 2B.
Do I stand a chance for Bsc. in Economics. Also I am an International Student. My subjects are Maths , F.Maths , Physics ,Psych, and Economics.
Well for a University as prestigious as L.S.E everything really is going to matter to make you stand out as a good applicant; so simple answer is, yes.
However that doesn't mean if you don't perform you best at GCSE you can't get in, as many other things will also contribute to your application, but just bare in mind courses at L.S.E some want A*AA and that is really high so if you think you would be able to get those AAA grades at A-level and at AS-level you will have a chance given you have also done other things to enhance your application work exp...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by maliksajwani
My GCSE Grades were 1A* 7A 2B.
Do I stand a chance for Bsc. in Economics. Also I am an International Student. My subjects are Maths , F.Maths , Physics ,Psych, and Economics.

Yes you do. Not a great chance, but you could get in. I would however, apply to some lower ranked unis as insurance.
You're an international. That changes everything tbh.
I'm also interested in the answer to this
Reply 5
Yes, GCSEs really do matter. I was an international student from India myself, and I'm currently at LSE (for Law). I had 8A*s and 3As and most of the people in the BSc Economics course have much, much higher grades than me (10+ A*s) as far as I know.

So if you really want to have a good chance at LSE, have an excellent PS, recommendation and make sure your predictions are up to scruff and then some.
Original post by arrowhead
Yes, GCSEs really do matter. I was an international student from India myself, and I'm currently at LSE (for Law). I had 8A*s and 3As and most of the people in the BSc Economics course have much, much higher grades than me (10+ A*s) as far as I know.

So if you really want to have a good chance at LSE, have an excellent PS, recommendation and make sure your predictions are up to scruff and then some.

Don't mistake correlation with causation.
Reply 7
Original post by Cutmeloose
Don't mistake correlation with causation.

I'm not saying GCSEs are all that matter, I'm saying that they do matter. Logically speaking, everyone who writes in to the top Unis has an excellent PS, sound recommendation and (presumably) the necessary predictions in A-Level/equivalent. GCSEs are one of the mechanisms used by the unis to distinguish between them. So they do matter in that regard, not definitively so, but the fact still stands that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone at a top London uni without several A*s at GCSEs.
I'm not saying GCSEs are all that matter, I'm saying that they do matter. Logically speaking, everyone who writes in to the top Unis has an excellent PS, sound recommendation and (presumably) the necessary predictions in A-Level/equivalent. GCSEs are one of the mechanisms used by the unis to distinguish between them. So they do matter in that regard, not definitively so, but the fact still stands that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone at a top London uni without several A*s at GCSEs.

Depends entirely on the course in regards to your last point. Unless it's Law, Economics, Medicine, and a few of the very selective courses. You don't need a handful of A*s. GCSEs are only discriminators for the very selective courses, some courses at LSE, UCL, and Imperial struggle to attract enough quality applicants, don't think those departments can be too picky about GCSEs.
Reply 9
Depends entirely on the course in regards to your last point. Unless it's Law, Economics, Medicine, and a few of the very selective courses. You don't need a handful of A*s. GCSEs are only discriminators for the very selective courses, some courses at LSE, UCL, and Imperial struggle to attract enough quality applicants, don't think those departments can be too picky about GCSEs.

Original post by maliksajwani
Do I stand a chance for Bsc. in Economics.

I'd say that would settle my point.
I'd say that would settle my point.

So they do matter in that regard, not definitively so, but the fact still stands that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone at a top London uni without several A*s at GCSEs.

I'd say that counters your point. Your post implies ANYONE at a top London college would have a string of A*s

I'd say that counters your point. Your post implies ANYONE at a top London college would have a string of A*s

The entire post is in context of the OP applying for Economics, that's implicit.
Reply 12
Guys I am giving Accelerated Math at AS Level (2 Year course in a year) If I score an A* in that and 4 As in other subjects that are Economics, Physics, Psych and Further Math than do I stand a Chance regardless the fact that I didnt get good GCSE Grades (I have already started working on my P.S for my Eco Course for 2014). DO i Stand a Chance?
Reply 13
You're an international. That changes everything tbh.

Still my GCSE will matter right??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending