The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Personally i dont think hatton should be in the top 10....but we will see after the malignaggi fight, who he should beat. He got embarresed by floyd, which most boxer do anyway, and didnt knockout lazcano but did get hurt, he would be in the top 15, but not the top 10...

Floyd isnt in the top 10 because he 'retired' so its the pacman at no.1

Margarito is sure to climb some places, and so does paul williams, and we will see what happens after Judah's next fight aswell..
Who's pacman? Danny Williams? :wink:
Margarito vs Hatton

Is this realistic?
Reply 1183
minimo156
Margarito vs Hatton

Is this realistic?

No, Hattons trying to pick his way through the light welterweight division to avoid defeat, he definitely isnt thinking about a guy who just beat cotto at 147 and has fought at light middle when hatton struggles at welter

Hatton is a less skilled Cotto at least now, he could clinch and dominate and frustrate that way but margs simply too big for him
A little pick me up for Cotto could mean facing Hatton if Hatton beats Malligini, that would be quite fun, but seeing as Hatton doesn't have the chin of Marg, i guess Cotto will win. If Marg didn't have a iron chin then Cotto would've ballsed the guy up by round 4...he was giving clean shots all the way through.
Reply 1185
Mos Def
A little pick me up for Cotto could mean facing Hatton if Hatton beats Malligini, that would be quite fun, but seeing as Hatton doesn't have the chin of Marg, i guess Cotto will win. If Marg didn't have a iron chin then Cotto would've ballsed the guy up by round 4...he was giving clean shots all the way through.

yep the quick hard flurries from cotto would have hurt most fighters
Né Stig

P4P rankings at the moment has to be:

1) PBF
2) Pacman
2) Calzaghe
3) Marquez (super feather) & the Juan type lol
4) Hopkins
5) Vasquez
6) Cotto
7) Pavlik
8) Hatton
9) Haye
10) John (little fella) - but awesome nonetheless

Pavlik cannot and should not be worlds number 1, simply because he has only fought and won against Jermain Taylor. Calzaghe has beating Kessler, Hopkins, Lacy and retained a belt for 10 years! He doesn't top 5 - and hopefully Hopkins will expose Pavlik later this year (although I don't think he will). But Hopkins deserves to be above Pavlik just due to names alone.

I disagree. Pavlik's younger, fresher, fitter and stronger. Joe's work rate probably won him that fight, and Bernard didn't have the stamina to keep up. If they fought at 170 Pavlik would have the advantage - Bernard would have to lose weight and Kelly could comfortably step up. Hopkins is past it in my opinion, and his fighting style won't win fights with the judges scoring for aggressiveness as they do nowadays. Hopkins should be just below Pavlik and Calslappy taken down a notch or two.

Pavlik Calzaghe (next year perhaps?) would be a ranking-defining fight.
shamrock92
I disagree. Pavlik's younger, fresher, fitter and stronger. Joe's work rate probably won him that fight, and Bernard didn't have the stamina to keep up. If they fought at 170 Pavlik would have the advantage - Bernard would have to lose weight and Kelly could comfortably step up. Hopkins is past it in my opinion, and his fighting style won't win fights with the judges scoring for aggressiveness as they do nowadays. Hopkins should be just below Pavlik and Calslappy taken down a notch or two.

Pavlik Calzaghe (next year perhaps?) would be a ranking-defining fight.

You cannot rate Pavlik that high simply because...as Bernard likes to say... 'Who did he fight?' ... fine he beat Taylor, and he beat Miranda, umm who else? Calzaghe has fought more decent fighters. Give it time and once Pav fights and beats more big names he will be up there.
Who is the Pacman?
Mos Def
You cannot rate Pavlik that high simply because...as Bernard likes to say... 'Who did he fight?' ... fine he beat Taylor, and he beat Miranda, umm who else? Calzaghe has fought more decent fighters. Give it time and once Pav fights and beats more big names he will be up there.

He's only fought Taylor because he's had little chance to fight anybody else. Few gave him a chance against Miranda and even less against Taylor. What makes him such a good fighter for me, is that he can box in and out to world class level. In the first fight against Taylor he really had to have a big heart to get up off the canvass and win like he did. And then in the second fight he fought a completely different fight and jabbed taylor's face off. Superb!
Fellas
He's only fought Taylor because he's had little chance to fight anybody else. Few gave him a chance against Miranda and even less against Taylor. What makes him such a good fighter for me, is that he can box in and out to world class level. In the first fight against Taylor he really had to have a big heart to get up off the canvass and win like he did. And then in the second fight he fought a completely different fight and jabbed taylor's face off. Superb!

No no, of course he is good, but for him to be great he needs to face some more of the elite to actually cement the proof, but im pretty sure he will, he has immense heart i agree.
minimo156
Who is the Pacman?

manny pacquiao
An interesting one would be Pacman vs. De La Hoya - speed vs. strength kind of.
Reply 1193
Anyone know why Warren is taking Calzaghe to court. Thought it was a straight forward contract expired, goodbye.
Fusion
Anyone know why Warren is taking Calzaghe to court. Thought it was a straight forward contract expired, goodbye.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/07/26/boxing-1m-lawsuit-stuns-calzaghe-91466-21408268/

He probably breached contract and wanted to take all the bucks home lol
Reply 1195
Mos Def
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/07/26/boxing-1m-lawsuit-stuns-calzaghe-91466-21408268/

He probably breached contract and wanted to take all the bucks home lol

There wasn't any contract to breach though was there. Sounds like a promoter trying to spread fear around his other clients.
Judah Clottey tonight....Cant wait....

The fight is more important to judah than clottey, clottey can still achieve something in his career but this is vital for zab, he cant afford to lose....to talented to let it go off again..
Reply 1197
^ Goodbye Zab :biggrin:

I can remember someone named Pernell Whittaker; not the actual boxer, but a member on this forum, who raved on about Zab being the best welterweight worldwide.

And Frank Warren has no morals. It's like Calzaghe's testimonial fight, much like a footballer when the club allows him all the proceeds. Calzaghe has given a lot to Warren, and yet again it just shows the boxing community and fans what a cheesy, greedy, amoral and disloyal promoter he is.

So to the Olympics - I think we're going to do well! ABA are damned good.
Calazaghe will be counter suing him for 2million, for the money frank owes him from the Hopkins fight. lol.

Amir Khan has a new Cuban trainer i think :s-smilie:
Reply 1199
Mos Def
Calazaghe will be counter suing him for 2million, for the money frank owes him from the Hopkins fight. lol.

Amir Khan has a new Cuban trainer i think :s-smilie:

Jorge Rubio, theres a video of him training David Haye from a couple of years ago on youtube if you want to check out his methods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtX_90ZzfPk

Latest