The Student Room Group

Guy in a club called me ugly - can't get over it.

Anon please.

I guess you could say it wasn't entirely unprovoked, but it honestly hurt my feelings so much I don't know what to do.

Basically I was out Wednesday night and was havinga really good laugh with friends, the club wasn't overly busy but not completely empty either, there was this couple kissing about 10m away from us, which I didn't really pay attention to, I mean it's a club, it happens. Anyway, over the next ten minutes they started moving towards my group and it got to the point where they right up in my face, it wouldn't usually annoy me, but they were blocking the way from my friends and there was room for them to move back a bit, so I gave a bit of an elbow into the guys back. The girl got the hint and moved back, however this guy started having a huge go at me.

At first it was just stupid stuff, like why did I do that blah blah, I kept calm, but then he pulled out the 'you're just jealous' card, I was shocked and certainly not jealous at all, I just told him to go find his girl but he persisted, he then said things like he could understand why I would be 'because I was really ugly, no guy would ever want to go near me.' I kinda laughed it off and said I had a boyfriend (not true, but I thought he'd drop it) to which he replied he felt sorry 'for the mug who had to wake up to see me every morning.' I was hurt, but tried not to show it and just told him to go away and finally got back to my friends.

There was only about 10 minutes until the end at this point so I decided to put on a brave face and finish the night, however I couldn't stop thinking about what he said, and burst into tears as soon as I walked out the club. I know I'm no victoria secret model, but I wouldn't think i'm totally horrendous either, I haven't had many boyfriends and guys aren't flocking at my feet but my already low self esteem has taken a massive knock from this and I haven;t been able to get over it, except for lectures I haven't left my room since then and I don't really want to go out anymore as I'm worried it's what everyone thinks. How do I pick myself back up and get over this?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The incident says a lot more about him than about you.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please.

I guess you could say it wasn't entirely unprovoked, but it honestly hurt my feelings so much I don't know what to do.

Basically I was out Wednesday night and was havinga really good laugh with friends, the club wasn't overly busy but not completely empty either, there was this couple kissing about 10m away from us, which I didn't really pay attention to, I mean it's a club, it happens. Anyway, over the next ten minutes they started moving towards my group and it got to the point where they right up in my face, it wouldn't usually annoy me, but they were blocking the way from my friends and there was room for them to move back a bit, so I gave a bit of an elbow into the guys back. The girl got the hint and moved back, however this guy started having a huge go at me.

At first it was just stupid stuff, like why did I do that blah blah, I kept calm, but then he pulled out the 'you're just jealous' card, I was shocked and certainly not jealous at all, I just told him to go find his girl but he persisted, he then said things like he could understand why I would be 'because I was really ugly, no guy would ever want to go near me.' I kinda laughed it off and said I had a boyfriend (not true, but I thought he'd drop it) to which he replied he felt sorry 'for the mug who had to wake up to see me every morning.' I was hurt, but tried not to show it and just told him to go away and finally got back to my friends.

There was only about 10 minutes until the end at this point so I decided to put on a brave face and finish the night, however I couldn't stop thinking about what he said, and burst into tears as soon as I walked out the club. I know I'm no victoria secret model, but I wouldn't think i'm totally horrendous either, I haven't had many boyfriends and guys aren't flocking at my feet but my already low self esteem has taken a massive knock from this and I haven;t been able to get over it, except for lectures I haven't left my room since then and I don't really want to go out anymore as I'm worried it's what everyone thinks. How do I pick myself back up and get over this?!

The guy sounds like a ****ing idiot and I hope he's happy that he made some one feel horrible and under confident. but maybe he was just drunk or an idiot.. it's just guy at a club who cares.. does it mean you have to hide away at Uni? No.. you know you have the support of your friends so why does it matter that this guy said this to you. If you know you look good then that guy can go **** himself.
embrace what he said
Reply 4
Seeing at how massively this is hurting you, it shows you need to build up your self esteem. Honestly, a comment like that from a random (and probably drunk) stranger shouldn't affect you this badly. You need to start believing you are beautiful, cause trust me, you probably are :smile:
The guy is obviously a dickhead, I wouldn't worry about what someone like him thinks of you
Anon please.

You think the opinion of a guy who reacts that aggressively to a little nudge in the back in a club is worth worrying about? He quite clearly has some deep personal problems of his own and you were just unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of an unprovoked outburst. Just forget about it and move on.
Oh alcohol. I was walking in Leeds the other day and some drunk idiot got in my face and said I needed a nose job LOL. Now, I don't. So on the same terms, the guy in your situation probably simply wanted to hurt your feelings.

I remember YEARS ago at school a girl called me a 'minger' (remember that word) and it has lived with me ever since, but I have a beautiful girlfriend and am actually quite fetching at times. You are not alone in taking things to heart, but try to gain perspective; he was trying to hurt your feelings; he wasn't trying to give you a truthful analysis of your beauty.

Put on that 'Beautiful' song my Christina Agureerllialaalaa and try not to care what he thinks. He sounds like a douche anyway.
You've mentioned that it wasn't entirely unprovoked. So I won't dwell on it, but ofcourse there are better ways you could have deal with the situation. But anyway, moving on.

Please don't dwell on it. He was just angry and yelling. He would have shouted any kind of insult by the sound of it, but yet it happened to be one that you find terribly self conscious about yourself. I honestly believe he didn't mean it, just quite a stupid remark he made.

I know its hard. My self esteem has got hit quite a lot even by being on this forum. One particular when I was getting called a slut in some thread. It did really upset me, but then I remember....these people don't know me, and are just shouting out any insult.

Cheer up :smile: and *hugs*. Pm me if you want
I wouldn't worry about it, he was going to say anything he could to make you feel hurt as he was drunk and annoyed at you for elbowing him and ruining his snog
He sounds like an utter **** to me!
Just ignore what he said and carry on with life :smile:
Anon please.

Sounds to me like he was:

a) Probably drunk
b) Definitely a dickhead.

A drunk dickhead is definitely not someone you should pay any attention to. I can understand why you're hurt, but don't let it play on your mind, he was just being a ****.
Reply 12
Why does your happiness rely on other people?
what a dickk. shows how pathetic and what kind of loser he is. feell sorry for his girl. honestly dont take it to heart, it obviously hurt you but you are beautiful in your own ways. go shopping have fun with your girlfriends, forget all about it X
Reply 14
Original post by Elm Tree
Why does your happiness rely on other people?

I wish it didn't but the words he used were so harsh and tapped into one of my biggest fears that I will forever be alone, I think that's what did it :/.
Reply 15
Original post by Amelia-Babe
what a dickk. shows how pathetic and what kind of loser he is. feell sorry for his girl. honestly dont take it to heart, it obviously hurt you but you are beautiful in your own ways. go shopping have fun with your girlfriends, forget all about it X

Girls who go for guys like that are most probably just as 'douchy' as the guy.
It sounds like he was just annoyed and wanted to be as hurtful as possible - he would have said you were ugly if you were the most beautiful woman in the room (which you might have been). It doesn't have anything to do with how you look.
Original post by MancBoy
Girls who go for guys like that are most probably just as 'douchy' as the guy.

I totally agree. They deserve each other.
He was just playing the card he knows will hurt every woman (and person) to some extent.
As mentioned above, he would have said it to anyone who was in your position. It's probable that he has a low self esteem himself as he's been rejected by girls in the past, and feels the need to lash out at them when he sees fit. In his drunk state and the darkness of the club he probably couldn't see you properly anyway!
Don't worry about it, concentrate on making yourself feel good for a bit and forget it :smile:
Reply 19
Wonder what he looked like

Latest

Trending

Trending