The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myblueheaven339
Just did week 5 run 3 of couch to 5 k - 20 min non stop. Smashed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is fab, well done! :smile:
Thanks :smile: I've completed the plan once before a few years ago but it feels so good to do it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feeling a bit demotivated this week, I weighed a lb less at the front end of this week then it popped back on for no reason and it's stayed on! So there's no loss to report this week. I've drank practically no water this week though (oops) so it's possibly just water retention. Going to try and drink more to counteract it.

Also having a bit of a rubbish time in general, got zero social life right now but plenty of work to keep me busy. My partner is off on his Christmas hols soon so hope things will get a lot better.
Finally, down on the scale! :woo:
Just did week 5 run 3 of couch to 5 k - 20 min non stop. Smashed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to start again this week! It's so cold out atm though, I tried a run the other day and it made my throat burn with how cold the air was?!
Original post by alabelle
Feeling a bit demotivated this week, I weighed a lb less at the front end of this week then it popped back on for no reason and it's stayed on! So there's no loss to report this week. I've drank practically no water this week though (oops) so it's possibly just water retention. Going to try and drink more to counteract it.

Also having a bit of a rubbish time in general, got zero social life right now but plenty of work to keep me busy. My partner is off on his Christmas hols soon so hope things will get a lot better.

Probably just the lack of water, I find that as well. Or TOTM?
Original post by infairverona
I'm hoping to start again this week! It's so cold out atm though, I tried a run the other day and it made my throat burn with how cold the air was?!

I haven't found it too cold so far, I tend to run late afternoon/early evening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by infairverona

I keep meaning to start running again, maybe if you start we can motivate each other? :redface:

Thankfully it was just lack of water. I made a conscious effort to drink more yesterday and that pesky lb has slipped off again. Going to celebrate with Wetherspoons tonight!

---

How is everyone coping with the dark nights? Are you all feeling less motivated by it or is it just me? :tongue:
One thing I've noticed is that who you live with matters a lot. When living with close friends or family that are comfortable with berating you for getting a takeaway and will remind you to gym I find that I have no problem losing weight.

When living in halls or just with acquaintances I find that I get takeaways much more often.
Original post by Rakas21
One thing I've noticed is that who you live with matters a lot. When living with close friends or family that are comfortable with berating you for getting a takeaway and will remind you to gym I find that I have no problem losing weight.

When living in halls or just with acquaintances I find that I get takeaways much more often.

This is true. My partner loves takeaways and would quite happily live on them 24/7. However luckily I'm the strict one in this house and I don't like to get them! I'd much rather go for a meal somewhere (where there is nutritional info available) than get a greasy pizza. He's quite tricky in other ways though. When he's off he loves to bake and I often come home to brownies, cookies, or cakes. He doesn't come from a background where weighing your ingredients is important though, so everything has to be guestimated... it would be lovely if he could just use the kitchen scales!

That turned into a rant :tongue:
I keep meaning to start running again, maybe if you start we can motivate each other? :redface:

Thankfully it was just lack of water. I made a conscious effort to drink more yesterday and that pesky lb has slipped off again. Going to celebrate with Wetherspoons tonight!

---

How is everyone coping with the dark nights? Are you all feeling less motivated by it or is it just me? :tongue:

I find the dark nights really depressing to be honest. Getting home in the dark sucks! I also feel like I want to be curled up on the sofa with a load of chocolates and crisps to comfort myself! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find the dark nights really depressing to be honest. Getting home in the dark sucks! I also feel like I want to be curled up on the sofa with a load of chocolates and crisps to comfort myself! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad I'm not the only one! Although at least I'm so busy that I don't have time to curl up on the sofa with crisps/chocolate... that's the one benefit of the PGCE :tongue:

There's nothing worse than going to uni in the dark and coming home in the dark though :frown: bring on December so there's Christmas to look forward to!
Glad I'm not the only one! Although at least I'm so busy that I don't have time to curl up on the sofa with crisps/chocolate... that's the one benefit of the PGCE :tongue:

There's nothing worse than going to uni in the dark and coming home in the dark though :frown: bring on December so there's Christmas to look forward to!

I'm a teacher so trust me, I'm busy! Haha! Hope the PGCE is going well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

---

Not coping too well with the dark nights tbh, makes me wanna just eat :tongue:
I'm a teacher so trust me, I'm busy! Haha! Hope the PGCE is going well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha bet you are! I'm not used to being productive so I like to whinge about it a lot :tongue: am sure I'll get used to it soon! Enjoying the course though.

---

A miracle happened last night... Bought chocolate and brushed my teeth before I remembered to open it! Shocking I know! But it meant I came well under for my calories yesterday :redface: so it's all good. Have lost 3/10lbs I wanted to lose before Christmas.... Fingers crossed it keeps working like this. :smile:
Hey im new here
Does diet coke really have no calories and is coke zero better?
Original post by wickedpony
Hey im new here

It's better calorie wise than normal coke but there's still rubbish in it, and some believe it makes you crave junk food even more. I drink just water now, and a cup of tea with my breakfast as well.
Hey im new here

Diet coke and coke zero are basically the same, I think they taste a little different, I dunno. Think coke zero is meant to appeal more to men. I think if you are going to drink coke diet/sugar free coke is heaps better for you than regular coke - I don't believe the hype about artificial sweetners being devil's spawn, not unless you're drinking loads and loads of the stuff every day.

That said, your teeth will appreciate something like water or sugar free squash instead! My teeth are ruined from years of fizzy drinking. I have to live with that... Save yourself some pain!
Hey im new here

Yep, neither have any calories. There has been a lot of scaremongering about aspartame etc. But it's not harmful at all. In fact, recent evidence has shown that dieters lose more weight when they consume diet fizzy drinks :smile: I get through about 2L of diet cherry coke each week.
Has anyone done the Couch to 5k + challenges? I decided to give the Stepping Stone podcast a go this morning, and found it really difficult! I must have been running really slowly before because even the Stepping Stone 'slow pace' of 150bpm was too fast for me. It's the first time I haven't completed a run and I'm feeling really demotivated. I'm not sure whether to give it another go or not. Any experiences/advice would be helpful :smile:
Original post by llamaspoon
Has anyone done the Couch to 5k + challenges? I decided to give the Stepping Stone podcast a go this morning, and found it really difficult! I must have been running really slowly before because even the Stepping Stone 'slow pace' of 150bpm was too fast for me. It's the first time I haven't completed a run and I'm feeling really demotivated. I'm not sure whether to give it another go or not. Any experiences/advice would be helpful :smile:

I like couch to 5k a lot :smile: I've never completed it though.

Quick Reply

Latest