The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phonicsdude
I dont know. This world is wrong.
O RLY.
Ya Rly.
Howard
Being permanently bored is not really very good for you. Do you know, I actually "glaze over" in meetings?

Sounds like me at uni
Lofty
dont bother really saving money either, if i do die, what use is a bank full of money?

)

Good point. You can spend you're whole life making financial plans, deciding you need X amount of money etc, and just forget to live
naivesincerity
Sounds like me at uni

Likewise, i can strongly relate to Howard's perspective/reality....but not to his 92 years :rolleyes:
Reply 45
Howard
I work in construction management specializing these days in building power plants. My title is Project Commercial Manager but I'm basically a souped-up, overpaid qunatity surveyor who spends most of my time arguing with people over contract interpretation and financial settlements. Basically I'm more of a negotiator than anything else.

So are you a qualified quantity surveyor?
Reply 46
Ferrus
So are you a qualified quantity surveyor?

Well, I'm chartered if that's what you mean.
no.
Reply 48
Howard
Being permanently bored is not really very good for you. Do you know, I actually "glaze over" in meetings?

I read an article in the paper which actually suggests that boredom can be beneficial.

See here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4904126.stm
JonathanH
If it's in her name and she's the rightful owner (basically, if you've given possession to her) then even if you paid the money, your only shot is probably something along the lines of claiming 'undue influence' of her over you. And buying a present for someone because you are in love with them probably isn't going to fly as 'undue influence', because you'd have to first prove a relationship where there was influence (it's assumed in some, but not in boyfriend/girlfriend) and then you'd have to show that what you did was clearly not a decision you could have made without having your decision-making impinged upon unduly. And you've already said that you did it because you wanted to. Basically, I don't think you have much of a shot, sorry, the law doesn't think it's there to clean-up your bad decisions. Then again, I'm just a law student, you could always see a real lawyer.

Well, her boobs were huge, i'd say that was 'undue influence'......

Anywhoo, i' don't really want the car back, it just irks me when i see her driving it with her new boyfriend- i always feel stupid. Maybe i should do something to the brakes....
cottonmouth
Well, her boobs were huge, i'd say that was 'undue influence'......

Anywhoo, i' don't really want the car back, it just irks me when i see her driving it with her new boyfriend- i always feel stupid. Maybe i should do something to the brakes....

You have that sort of money you spend? and on someone else? Crazy....utterly crazy....did she really need a car? Did she want a car? Did you need a car? This is so a case of egg on yer face :biggrin: I can just envisage it...you catch her and him in 'your' car, they're grinning away, spot you, grin again and speed off...whilst you're "wtf...omfg wtf was i thinking of???" :redface: Proceeding by kicking the closest moveable object, like a fizzy drinks can on the pavement....

Hilarious. :smile:
white_haired_wizard
You have that sort of money you spend? and on someone else? Crazy....utterly crazy....did she really need a car? Did she want a car? Did you need a car? This is so a case of egg on yer face :biggrin: I can just envisage it...you catch her and him in 'your' car, they're grinning away, spot you, grin again and speed off...whilst you're "wtf...omfg wtf was i thinking of???" :redface: Proceeding by kicking the closest moveable object, like a fizzy drinks can on the pavement....

Hilarious. :smile:
It isn't actually funny! I used to be a spoiled brat who did have that kind of money to spend, until my parents got all military and stopped giving me cash- i actually work now! And i'll be using a student loan too, with as little help from them as i can manage on.

No, she didn't need a car, i was just being a great boyfriend. I can't even drive myself yet, i suppose it was for my benefit too, if she had a car, we could drive places legally, etc. But now she gets to keep the damn thing, and i'd love to have the money back!
Lofty
I dont bother really saving money either, if i do die, what use is a bank full of money?

Thats a great philosophy to have when you're 65, but I prefer to live my life under the assumption i'm not gonna get hit by a bus tomorrow. If giving up a little "happiness" in the present (in the form of a material possesion, since we're on the subject of money) means getting a far greater "happiness" in the future, you wouldn't do it?

Are we happy? I think most people are. The very fact that bad things stick in our mind far more than good things shows that it's the bad things that are the intrusions into the otherwise happy status quo. How often do you have people break down, years after a really great holiday, and go "i'm overcome with emotion; that holiday was bloody great, wasn't it?" Fairly rare, i'd imagine, but with dead people? Pound a penny. We're quite spoilt like that.

Are we really happy? For the most part I think yes. Do we all appreciate it? Not necessarily.
Reply 53
I used to get bored, and worry. "The world was my oyster", but where's the pearl ?

I threw myself into studies but the Economics I was doing was interesting but not fulfilling. I met some nice people and went to their churches. The answers fitted intellectually but I still seemed to be trying to work out God for myself, even though there were many opinions around.

Then I met people who had a confidence & contentment I hadn't attained to, they had actually received another life by receiving the Spirit of God, evidenced by speaking in tongues (an unlearned prayer language). I realised that faith *in* God means relying on Him to *do* what only he can do. I prayed for the same, without doubt or fear and sure enough received it. Yup it's all true, there is a perfect love based on unlimited understanding and ability. I receive and give it, it replaces weakness, emptiness, confusion & other negative things with the opposites.
Happy but not satisifed.
Most people delude themselves into thinking that they're happy.

Latest

Trending

Trending