The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Still worth applying. I know people who got 2.2 results and have internships.

Makes life harder but it isn't impossible. These were people who were significant outperformers when it came to ECs though.
Reply 2
Do you think it's possible to apply for both IB internships and Law Vacation Schemes? Would I have time to do both, or do I have to decide on pursuing one or the other?
Loads get in with a 2.2 in 1st year exams, a predicted 2.1 is more important. I only know of ABN explicitly rejecting people for internships for not having a 2.1 in 1st yr.
Fa|ique
Do you think it's possible to apply for both IB internships and Law Vacation Schemes? Would I have time to do both, or do I have to decide on pursuing one or the other?

Yes, do a vac scheme (2-3 weeks) in Easter and internship (10-13 weeks) in Summer.
Definitely worth at least applying. Try maybe scoring an unpaid first year placement in the summer. Might help them slightly overlook the 2:2/3rd shortcoming.
If you don't try, your never going to get anywhere!

And the fact that you're at a top 10 uni helps! Maybe some work experience before doing those applications would help, as others have suggested.

It would defo be an advantage to have your referee predict a 2:1, but they are unlikely to do this if you get a 2:2 in your first year, unless there are unusual circumstances.
pol_student

It would defo be an advantage to have your referee predict a 2:1, but they are unlikely to do this if you get a 2:2 in your first year, unless there are unusual circumstances.

Academics are largely very nice and understanding people. You can always turn up the wick at the start of year 2 to get that desired prediction.
Reply 7
Chassez
Loads get in with a 2.2 in 1st year exams, a predicted 2.1 is more important. I only know of ABN explicitly rejecting people for internships for not having a 2.1 in 1st yr.

Yes, do a vac scheme (2-3 weeks) in Easter and internship (10-13 weeks) in Summer.

Oh okay... So no way of doing both in the summer then? Do you think law firms would look favourably on IB work experience? (Am just starting to explore IB as an option, so pardon the rather straightforward questions...)
You can do both. Chassez did

(according to his website though bear in mind, it may not always be possible due to overlap - though Law firms are infinitely more flexible)
Fa|ique
Oh okay... So no way of doing both in the summer then? Do you think law firms would look favourably on IB work experience? (Am just starting to explore IB as an option, so pardon the rather straightforward questions...)

With a 10-13 week IB internship your summer would be a rather tight squeeze with something else on top (I did Easter vac scheme, summer intern). Vac schemes at top firms are likely to clash with internships, but at smaller outfits and mini-pupillages they can be very flexible with dates. Also look into winter vac schemes which a few law firms offer.

As for law firms looking favourably on IB experience, and vice-versa, whilst it may suggest a bit of indecision about which career option to take*, they are definitely looked upon favourably - there's a lot of crossover in work particularly in M&A obviously, culture, and a firm will look at you seriously if you managed to get a place at another top firm, from a different sector.

*This is not necessarily a bad thing - there's nothing wrong with saying you've thought about it and narrowed your options to IB and law, and now want to experience both to make the right decision, rather than blindly saying you've wanted to be a banker since age 13.
Reply 10
Ah okay... Thank you very much for all the help, you guys have been very helpful.

I've only just really started thinking about IB as a possible career option, though am worried that my lousy mathematics skills aren't gonna hold me in very good stead. Are there any sectors in IB that don't place too much emphasis on mathematical skills, and that would look into hiring law graduates?

I've only just really started thinking about IB as a possible career option, though am worried that my lousy mathematics skills aren't gonna hold me in very good stead. Are there any sectors in IB that don't place too much emphasis on mathematical skills, and that would look into hiring law graduates?

Degree is unimportant in IB, you can get in with any subject.
Pretty much all the areas except for trading (equities, fixed income, etc) hire non mathematical people. You will need to pass the standard numerical tests though, depends on what you mean by "lousy".
Reply 12
Um, a C5 in Elementary Mathematics at O Level? And a C6 in Additional Mathematics? *hides face under the covers*
LBC213
Degree is unimportant in IB, you can get in with any subject.
Pretty much all the areas except for trading (equities, fixed income, etc) hire non mathematical people.

It's time for a Weird Al Yankovich song methinks...

Everything you know is wrong
Black is white, up is down and short is long
And everything you used to think was so important
Doesn't really matter anymore
Because the simple fact remains that

Just forget the words and sing along
All you need to understand is

:p:
Fa|ique
Um, a C5 in Elementary Mathematics at O Level? And a C6 in Additional Mathematics? *hides face under the covers*

What does than translate to in English qualifications? Do you know, as I'm not familar with Singapore's educational system, and I doubt many others are here.
Reply 15
Well, we sit for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level, as opposed to GCSEs that you guys take... I thought the grading system is the same though for GCSEs?
Fa|ique
Well, we sit for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level, as opposed to GCSEs that you guys take... I thought the grading system is the same though for GCSEs?

Nope. Nothing like. Nor is yours like old UK O-Levels.
Reply 17
Okay, well, C6 would mean a mark of 50-54%, whilst C5 means a mark of 55-59%...
Fa|ique
Okay, well, C6 would mean a mark of 50-54%, whilst C5 means a mark of 55-59%...

If you can be bothered, go to...

http://qte.psl.com/qte/system/pages/preView.asp?testid=7500&respondentid=ML&callbackurl=http://localhost/soap/qtetest.wsdl

Do that test and let us know how you do...
Reply 19
I got 11 out of 12, a Grade A equivalent apparently...

Latest

Trending

Trending