The Student Room Group

IB Technology or Big 4 Consulting?

Hi,

Sorry to make a similar thread again; I have accepted an offer within Big 4 for consulting/risk but also linked to audit (its not straight risk consulting but I will have the option after my internship) but I have an interview in January with GS for tech.

I was wondering if anyone knew how the salaries will compare? I understand that after 3 years at Big 4 (completing ACA) ill be on about £45-50k, would this be the same in technology? There seems to be a lot more info regarding Big 4 in terms of salary, apparently after 10 years it gets closer to £100k and then becoming a partner after that means it could multiply significantly. What about technology in IB?

I was also wondering if anyone knew which would have the best exit opportunities? Ive heard technology is boring but ive also heard the same about everything (obviously I wont know til im there) but say I wanted to leave after 5 years, where would provide the most benefits in terms of moving to another employer?

Thanks!
Original post by hypercaine.
Hi,

Sorry to make a similar thread again; I have accepted an offer within Big 4 for consulting/risk but also linked to audit (its not straight risk consulting but I will have the option after my internship) but I have an interview in January with GS for tech.

I was wondering if anyone knew how the salaries will compare? I understand that after 3 years at Big 4 (completing ACA) ill be on about £45-50k, would this be the same in technology? There seems to be a lot more info regarding Big 4 in terms of salary, apparently after 10 years it gets closer to £100k and then becoming a partner after that means it could multiply significantly. What about technology in IB?

I was also wondering if anyone knew which would have the best exit opportunities? Ive heard technology is boring but ive also heard the same about everything (obviously I wont know til im there) but say I wanted to leave after 5 years, where would provide the most benefits in terms of moving to another employer?

Thanks!

Well in tech you'll start on about £38k + bonus. I don't know what the bonus is like in tech, obviously a lot smaller than FO. Are you talking about risk assurance? I had no idea the pay progression was that good for big 4.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Apocalypse Now
Well in tech you'll start on about £38k + bonus. I don't know what the bonus is like in tech, obviously a lot smaller than FO. Are you talking about risk assurance? I had no idea the pay progression was that good for big 4.

Cheers for the reply, yeah my internship will be in something like risk assurance, each company gives it their own name. I can choose to do ACA if I wish but if I do im assuming ill be earning more after that and it apparently pays better than audit, tax, etc. and judging from other threads on here youre looking at about £45k after ACA but thats a few years after graduating.
I think the role may be more interesting than technology and would quite like a client facing role as opposed to just sitting at a computer all day everyday so salary isnt the only factor.
Cheers for the reply, yeah my internship will be in something like risk assurance, each company gives it their own name. I can choose to do ACA if I wish but if I do im assuming ill be earning more after that and it apparently pays better than audit, tax, etc. and judging from other threads on here youre looking at about £45k after ACA but thats a few years after graduating.
I think the role may be more interesting than technology and would quite like a client facing role as opposed to just sitting at a computer all day everyday so salary isnt the only factor.

One thing to be slightly aware of is that risk assurance can sometimes mean largely technology risk assurance or IT assurance (like controls on systems, data integrity, how 3d parties use your systems and such). Now i think if you're going to be working in that, why not just work for tech at a bank and earn more. Do you come from a comp sci background or something else? But yeah this thread interests me because I'm choosing between tech and other things at the moment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Apocalypse Now
One thing to be slightly aware of is that risk assurance can sometimes mean largely technology risk assurance or IT assurance (like controls on systems, data integrity, how 3d parties use your systems and such). Now i think if you're going to be working in that, why not just work for tech at a bank and earn more. Do you come from a comp sci background or something else? But yeah this thread interests me because I'm choosing between tech and other things at the moment.

I understand it will be largely related to IT and systems but I will have the option of transferring to straight risk consulting after my internship apparently, which I would be interested in doing which I believe would pay better than tech at an IB too.
Plus, £45k at a regional office is obviously significantly better than £38k + bonus in London (depending on the bonus obviously but unless its a hell of a lot it still wont be better). Oh and yeah I do comp sci at uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks!

The first thing you should be aware of is that fact that the roles are completely different. With the big 4 job, you are providing services to clients. With IB technology, you are back office with no exposure to clients.

Saying that 'once one makes partner the salary multiplies' is true, but that is a big assumption that one will make partner. It is very difficult, only the best of the best do this.

You will earn 45k in 3 years with big 4 in london, with IB tech, you wikll probably start on something similar. But the compensation is irrelevant at this stage. Your main question which is absolutely crucial is whether you want to serve clients or serve your front office staff in IB. As I said the roles are completely different.

Exit opps for IB tech are only really IB tech at other companies. Big four is far more broad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending