The Student Room Group

A career in accountancy for a third class degree?

Scroll to see replies

I want to ask what decision you made at the end because I might be in the same boat in a few months.
Original post by abbasahmed786
I want to ask what decision you made at the end because I might be in the same boat in a few months.

I went for the ACCA. Sat two modules in November and awaiting the results (coming out next month). It was really tough, and having not done any exams in years, I have underestimated the exam, and my technique itself was pretty rusty.

An update on the exam sittings: this year they are adding an extra sitting in September for students in selected member countries, with a view to having four (the additional being some time between January and June) sittings in 2016.
Original post by sonic_dream
I went for the ACCA. Sat two modules in November and awaiting the results (coming out next month). It was really tough, and having not done any exams in years, I have underestimated the exam, and my technique itself was pretty rusty.

An update on the exam sittings: this year they are adding an extra sitting in September for students in selected member countries, with a view to having four (the additional being some time between January and June) sittings in 2016.

Thanks. Good luck with the results :smile:.
Hi,

Firstly well done on your achievements. I've been feeling pretty gloomy for the past while because I am in the current position you were a year ago. My story is much the same. 26 year old. I achieved a Third Class Honors degree, but I worked in an insurance company (Sales - call centre) and did my study at night. I was so downhearted at my result I didn't know what to do. I genuinely underestimated the exams and panicked (worked long hours and had little study time). I got quite depressed over it.. the whole sense of underachievement really got to me. So bad I actually quit my job. This was last May/June. I just literally handed in my months notice after working there three years and left. Working in a call centre was serious pressure and stress, I'm quite glad I did leave because my mental health picked up.

I spent the summer in a sort of limbo. Moved back home with my parents and tried to plan out what I wanted to do now that my goal of becoming an accountant had evaporated. After much deliberation, I decided to self study. I'd saved up enough (nearly a deposit for a mortgage!) and decided to try another route. I would self study, self discipline and spend 9 months studying for the ACA exams. (This is ACA Ireland, which is the same thing as the UK). It's now March and I've spent a good deal of time in the books, trying to achieve a top grade in each subject to prove that I can pass exams and that this is the job I really want. I didn't want to work because I wanted perfect grades and had the funds to carry me through until the end of these exams.

The ACA do block classes on weekends and most people there are graduates in some of the Big4. It's made me quite nervous. As much as I want to end up in one of the Big4, I know it's probably not going to happen and I have kept a realistic view on the whole situation. Reading this thread has really offered me great hope.

It's been a very strange year for me. Being by yourself, jobless and keeping up the self discipline to study is, in my opinion, tougher than having a job. No one forces you to do anything but yourself. With a bit of lick, I hope to be in a similar position as you in a year!! Thanks for the hope :smile:
I got a third class degree in accounting and did Acca and passed them all. The Acca has a very broad syllabus but its made easier by superb study material from bpp.
Despite getting third and passing Acca I started my own property business and now I'm a millionaire .

The nine-to-five is one of the greatest atrocities sprung upon mankind. You give your life away to a function that doesn't interest you." - Charles Bukowski
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending