The Student Room Group

would you forgive a guy if he read your texts?

I'm a girl and some of the texts were about him. I don't know exactly what he saw, but it could have been anything on my phone. facebook messages, emails, texts, photos....

should I just get over it or do I have a right to be angry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He invaded your privacy so yes you have a right to be angry.
If you're in a relationship with this guy then yes, you do have a right to be angry, but if it was a one off its probably not worth breaking up over. It's up to you though really, if this is a massive issue for you then so be it. I personally would just tell him it was totally unacceptable, and providing he assured me it wouldn't happen again I'd get over it.
Reply 3
Original post by tibbles209
If you're in a relationship with this guy then yes, you do have a right to be angry, but if it was a one off its probably not worth breaking up over. It's up to you though really, if this is a massive issue for you then so be it. I personally would just tell him it was totally unacceptable, and providing he assured me it wouldn't happen again I'd get over it.

I'm not in a relationship with him but we have a 'will they, won't they' thing going on. for me it's about friendship really, I haven't spoken to him for 2 months now but I'm not sure if I should talk to him about it or not bother.
I'd be furious is someone invaded my digital privacy like that.
Reply 5
I'd forgive him. I've never really cared about that. Sure, I'd question why he was looking, but he won't find anything interesting anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
I'd be furious is someone invaded my digital privacy like that.

I was when I found out, but I don't know how long to hold this grudge for or whether to forgive him at all? we were good friends before but he can't value my friendship very much if he betrays my trust?
argh I don't know
Reply 7
Original post by Airfairy
I'd forgive him. I've never really cared about that. Sure, I'd question why he was looking, but he won't find anything interesting anyway.

I don't think I'd be so mad if it was any of my other friends, they'd only do it in a jokey way when I was in the room anyway. but he must have known there was something about him on there, something I didn't want him to see. and this wasn't a one-time, 2 minute flick through texts either. he saw everything
How comes you didn't utilize some of the greatest innovations of the 21st century such as password locks?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and some of the texts were about him. I don't know exactly what he saw, but it could have been anything on my phone. facebook messages, emails, texts, photos....

should I just get over it or do I have a right to be angry?

Take a chill pill, you only live once, is it really that a big deal? I am sure his motivation wasn't to piss you off. Don't listen to people you bitch with.
Reply 10
I don't think I'd be so mad if it was any of my other friends, they'd only do it in a jokey way when I was in the room anyway. but he must have known there was something about him on there, something I didn't want him to see. and this wasn't a one-time, 2 minute flick through texts either. he saw everything

No, I completely understand why you would be mad! I'm sort of an odd one out with that, most people would be mad.

I wouldn't say it warrants a break up, but that is up to how you feel. But you should definitely let him know how angry you are and how he had no right. I doubt he would like it the other way around.
Reply 11
Original post by Perseveranze
How comes you didn't utilize some of the greatest innovations of the 21st century such as password locks?

I do now. It's about trust though, it shouldn't matter whether it was possible for him to access my phone, he shouldnt have done it
I would forgive, but I would be really annoyed and I'd let him know that it wasn't acceptable.

I don't have anything to hide, and I would have no problem showing him things, but it's the fact that it was done behind your back and he's invading your privacy that would be a problem for me. Everyone has a right to their privacy.
A relationship needs trust. If a partner feels the need to check texts behind the other's back, then obviously something isn't working.
Reply 13
Original post by Airfairy
No, I completely understand why you would be mad! I'm sort of an odd one out with that, most people would be mad.

I wouldn't say it warrants a break up, but that is up to how you feel. But you should definitely let him know how angry you are and how he had no right. I doubt he would like it the other way around.

we're not even dating though.. but I know he likes me, this seems kind of controlling? that's exactly it, he is so protective of his own phone!
Reply 14
yes obviously, he's checking your texts because he likes you and is worried..
Reply 15
Original post by manty
yes obviously, he's checking your texts because he likes you and is worried..

but it's rather controlling don't you think? he has nothing to be worried about!
Original post by Aderyn
He invaded your privacy so yes you have a right to be angry.

There's no such thing as privacy, unless you're hiding something in which case: BUSTED!
Reply 17
I'd be furious. It's disrespectful and lacking in common decency.
Reply 18
we're not even dating though.. but I know he likes me, this seems kind of controlling? that's exactly it, he is so protective of his own phone!

Ohhhh. Didn't realise you weren't dating, sorry. Well that is a bit weird. I guess it shows he likes you then. But if he is really controlling of his own phone then it's really not on, and you should tell him that, considering he obviously would find it a big deal if you went through his phone.
Reply 19
Original post by Blair Waldorf
There's no such thing as privacy, unless you're hiding something in which case: BUSTED!

I'm hiding the fact that I don't like him as more than friends, I know he likes me as more than friends, and that I'm trying to keep our friendship going as normal despite this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending