The Student Room Group

c3 25th January 2013 exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shumen9523
Don't worry a lot about C4 as I've heard that it's easier than C3. I could be wrong though.

I heard it was the complete opposite...
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I heard it was the complete opposite...

As I've said, I could be wrong. In any case, we should prepare for the C4 paper as much as possible as even if the C4 paper was actually easier, thinking that it is easier can seriously affect our performance in the exam.
I was just trying to be a bit optimistic in my post :tongue:
Reply 302
Any ideas about what 100 and 90UMS would be???
Original post by suncake
Got 66 first time I
think (84 UMS), and probably 68 this time.
Aiming for an A* and don't think I could get 96
UMS in C4 :redface:

I am also aiming for the A* but I seriously flopped this paper.

I'm very disappointed with myself because I know I should have done much better than I think I did. I started the paper and the only thing I could think about was running out of time so I couldn't even think straight when it came to answering the questions :frown:

I did not want to have to resit, I dislike resitting papers. But I seems like I'll have to if I want the A*. I feel really disheartened by it all....
Original post by This Excellency

I'm very disappointed with myself because I know I should have done much better than I think I did. I started the paper and the only thing I could think about was running out of time so I couldn't even think straight when it came to answering the questions :frown:

I did not want to have to resit, I dislike resitting papers. But I seems like I'll have to if I want the A*. I feel really disheartened by it all....

how badly did you do like what mark do you think you've got? i got 62 and i think ill probably be resitting to get a least an A* how about you?
if i resit this as well as chem 4 which i didn't do too well on ill have 5 exams in summer which isn't to good :/
(edited 11 years ago)
I am just glad it's over...

Until June.
Original post by student gamer
how badly
did you do like what mark do you think you've
got? i got 62 and i think ill probably be resitting
to get a least an A* how about you?

if i resit this as well as chem 4 which i didn't do
too well on ill have 5 exams in summer which isn't
to good :/

60 something :frown: So damn disappointed. If only I was more relaxed :frown:
Reply 307
Original post by destinyx
Same here, it's soo annoying, personally I thought that paper was so much harder than a lot of the past question papers! The grade boundaries have to be low!

In theory, yeah, but we all unfortunately know, the examiners are D bags and will probably make it higher
Reply 308
As I've said, I could be wrong. In any case, we should prepare for the C4 paper as much as possible as even if the C4 paper was actually easier, thinking that it is easier can seriously affect our performance in the exam.
I was just trying to be a bit optimistic in my post :tongue:

Well, most of C4 is integration, just sometimes it's frustrating because it's very very easy to make a mistake in a 8 mark question, although if the question is a definite integral you can check your answers pretty easily through a good calculator. I spent 5 minutes trying to work out how to integrate 1/(cosx)^2, then just realised it was (secx)^2 and the integral of that was on the formula sheet.
Original post by emma.12
Any ideas about what 100 and 90UMS would be???

Arsey predicted them to be 59 for 80ums, 66 for 90ums and 73 for 100ums :smile:

Obviously they are not official but he gets close to the grade boundaries most of the time :smile: so around 65-69 for 90ums and 72-75 for 100ums will be a good estimate. From what people are saying about how well they did it looks like Arsey's predictions will be quite close :smile: Plus he said that 8b could be a bloodbath which looks good in terms of grade boundaries.
Reply 310
Don't worry a lot about C4 as I've heard that it's easier than C3. I could be wrong though.

I guess we'll find out soon :tongue:

I'm sure you haven't done as bad as you think! I didnt want to resit either, but it does feel easier the second time round (unless the examiners are sneaky little devils like this time), and you'd probably be more relaxed. Don't stress till you get your actual results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure I did quite badly. Exam pressure got to me sadly :frown: I really did not want to have to retake C3 but if I get a B or below I'll have to :frown:

Oh wow, I would have expected you to ace this. Unlucky... the same happened to me with S1, but thankfully that's not such a bad module to screw up in.

All hope isn't lost though, I'd imagine 60 something should get you an A in this paper. Ace C4 and you could still get the A* without resits, perhaps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jqian
Well, most of C4 is integration, just sometimes it's frustrating because it's very very easy to make a mistake in a 8 mark question, although if the question is a definite integral you can check your answers pretty easily through a good calculator. I spent 5 minutes trying to work out how to integrate 1/(cosx)^2, then just realised it was (secx)^2 and the integral of that was on the formula sheet.

What is so bad about integration, it is just the opposite of differentiation? Obviously it's a bit more awkward but still, people are starting to scare me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 313
Original post by harrybobo12
What is so bad about integration, it is just the opposite of differentiation? Obviously it's a bit more awkward but still, people are starting to scare me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, as my teacher said, there's usually only one method of integrating something (that we have been taught) and you may have to change that something into something that can be integrated. To be honest, it isn't all that bad; just needs more practice than differentiation! I've improved a lot over the last 2 days in integration so it's not all doom and gloom.
Original post by jqian
Well, as my teacher said, there's usually only one method of integrating something (that we have been taught) and you may have to change that something into something that can be integrated. To be honest, it isn't all that bad; just needs more practice than differentiation! I've improved a lot over the last 2 days in integration so it's not all doom and gloom.

I think you just gotta know the reverse of all the differentiations, know the trig identities which I myself need to go over, know integration by substitution and integration by parts, that doesn't sound like too much? Gotta build confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
I think you just gotta know the reverse of all the differentiations, know the trig identities which I myself need to go over, know integration by substitution and integration by parts, that doesn't sound like too much? Gotta build confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's harder when they don't tell you what to substitute in, I mean you have to instantaneously think ahead when you use substitution to see if it will actually work; otherwise you'll be wasting your time. My point is that it is very easy to make a tiny mistake. Differential equations sometimes are difficult because most of the time they want you to give your answer in a specific form, hence you have to be extremely competent with log laws, power laws, algebraic manipulation, etc. I spent 15 minutes on a 8 mark differential equation and went around virtually loophole before finally getting it to the required form. It is very satisfying getting it right though xD.
Original post by jqian
It's harder when they don't tell you what to substitute in, I mean you have to instantaneously think ahead when you use substitution to see if it will actually work; otherwise you'll be wasting your time. My point is that it is very easy to make a tiny mistake. Differential equations sometimes are difficult because most of the time they want you to give your answer in a specific form, hence you have to be extremely competent with log laws, power laws, algebraic manipulation, etc. I spent 15 minutes on a 8 mark differential equation and went around virtually loophole before finally getting it to the required form. It is very satisfying getting it right though xD.

Don't worry. I mean obviously that is the worst case scenario but its an exam so it won't be too hard. Have you got the CGP guide? I am sure they had some useful information for if that happens, I will have a look for you. Just be confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 317
Don't worry. I mean obviously that is the worst case scenario but its an exam so it won't be too hard. Have you got the CGP guide? I am sure they had some useful information for if that happens, I will have a look for you. Just be confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help, I managed to get 100 UMS in the Jun 11 and Jan 12 so I think I should be fine, I've written more intermediate steps and it's really helping me make fewer mistakes.
Original post by jqian
Thanks for your help, I managed to get 100 UMS in the Jun 11 and Jan 12 so I think I should be fine, I've written more intermediate steps and it's really helping me make fewer mistakes.

Oh good! I still need to go over binomial expansion which I forgot as I haven't done it for two months

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ergh - I made so many errors on this paper it's agony. If I get more than 52/3 I'll be amazed. Resitting this biatch in June because I need an A for theoretical physics. I didn't even answer the range question or 8c, and I know that I got 8b wrong, aswell as the RCos maximum question. So disappointed with myself cos I got 74/75 literally 12 hours beforehand in a mock under test conditions and everything. Just wanted to die :L. And then FP1 tomorrow - I've been a nervous wreck this January haha. I don't even think it was a MASSIVELY hard paper, I just somehow managed to bomb out. Fml ''/.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending