The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llessur123
Introvert is not the correct term for what you're trying to describe. You can be an introvert and be very confident when you are in the company of others.

Sure, sorry.
Reply 21
Original post by aj4660
??

Not everybody does. Some people like quiet people.
I guess others find that they're so quiet it's hard to get to know them. Also you can start to wonder 'why don't they want to talk to me?' which is repelling I guess, because you tend to not talk to people who you don't want to know, or aren't interested in.
One of our housemates is sooooo pretty, but fairly quiet a lot of the time, and a lot of people assume that because she's pretty she's stuck up. It's really unfair, I think if she was ugly they'd say she was shy. She IS shy, but people just don't seem to realise that you can be pretty and shy at the same time, so she often gets misunderstood.
Society hates shy people and the favors the loud extroverts.
Original post by whatsername2009
I'm a pretty shy person (although it's something I'm working on), so perhaps I can explain how it feels for the shy person you're interacting with. If I'm talking to someone I don't know, it really is quite a scary experience for me. It's not that the other person is objectively 'a scary person', just that I'm afraid of them judging me. It's worse when they're super confident and talkative, because then I think that they must think I'm really boring in comparison. So really, if you're talking to a shy person and they seem really unresponsive, you should try not to take it personally - it's not that they're scared of you, it's more likely that they just find social situations intimidating and that they're doing their best to be friendly but not conveying it in the same way that you do. Of course, that can be frustrating for you, and it's then up to you if you want to make the effort to get to know them better, but if you do then you may find them much more able to open up to you.

It's interesting, really, that the problem on both sides seems to be that we think we're being judged by the other person for being more/less talkative than they are. Perhaps we all just need to worry less about what other people think of us.

Makes sense. :biggrin: Haha, yeah, all this time we've really just not been understanding each other.
The real reason is a lack of social understanding and getting on with others.

Look, not everybody you meet has to like you, or respond well to you. I think people are essentially dim, and cannot comprehend that others hold unique personalities.

Social interaction has to be modulated for EVERY person you meet/interact with. Yes, all seven billion of us!!
Original post by abc:)
Not everybody does. Some people like quiet people.
I guess others find that they're so quiet it's hard to get to know them. Also you can start to wonder 'why don't they want to talk to me?' which is repelling I guess, because you tend to not talk to people who you don't want to know, or aren't interested in.
One of our housemates is sooooo pretty, but fairly quiet a lot of the time, and a lot of people assume that because she's pretty she's stuck up. It's really unfair, I think if she was ugly they'd say she was shy. She IS shy, but people just don't seem to realise that you can be pretty and shy at the same time, so she often gets misunderstood.

The fault is you, not the quiet person.

You seem to presume that everybody thinks as you do, and values/executes interaction as you do. My previous post still stands here. Not everybody gives a **** about being hypersocial. Only youngsters and insecure people really do.
Original post by ilikedesiwomen

You seem to presume that everybody thinks as you do, and values/executes interaction as you do. My previous post still stands here. Not everybody gives a **** about being hypersocial. Only youngsters and insecure people really do.

Interaction is a pretty huge part of being a human being, it's how we get to know people so we can decide if we want to reproduce with them. It matters. Don't get angry with the extroverts for explaining why we can sometimes find cripplingly shy people hard to get on with sometimes. Shy people think it's hard to deal with people who talk all the time, talkative people are totally thrown off by people who only answer in monosyllables. And nearly everyone has some kind of insecurity, that's just how it is.
Original post by Exotica-xo
they mistake you for being ignorant, snobby and socially awkward e.t.c. Quiet and shy individuals may also show a certain aura of mystery that may puzzle and ultimately frustrate people.

How the hell is ignorance attributed to shyness?
Reply 28
Either they have nothing better to do or they just want to know everything. Since us fellow quiet/shy people don't tend to tell people much stuff about ourselves it becomes sort of a guessing game to those who insist the need to know everything about everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by ilikedesiwomen

You say you as if you're attacking me. I happen to be a very quiet and shy person - [ ie, a lot of people choose not to talk to me ] , I can (shock horror) also see things from another person's perspective - I understand why people don't talk to people like me. I sympathise with OP completely. So don't get so defensive. That won't get you anywhere. Being shy may stop some people wanting to talk to you -- being defensive will stop anybody wanting to talk to you.

Also might I point out that the girl I mentioned is a housemate, that it so happens, I CHOSE to live with her? Do you still think that I value 'hypersociality' as you so wonderfully phrase it above other human qualities? Do you maybe want to review your way of thinking before you attack others? For example, 'youngsters' is RATHER general if I may say so, and may knock the confidence of many a GCSE student on this site. Kudos to you, sir/madam. You clearly have it all worked out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Interaction is a pretty huge part of being a human being, it's how we get to know people so we can decide if we want to reproduce with them. It matters. Don't get angry with the extroverts for explaining why we can sometimes find cripplingly shy people hard to get on with sometimes. Shy people think it's hard to deal with people who talk all the time, talkative people are totally thrown off by people who only answer in monosyllables. And nearly everyone has some kind of insecurity, that's just how it is.

Just to reiterate although I already mentioned it to the person who replied to my post, I am most definitely an INTROVERT not an extrovert, I am just able ot see it from other peoples' perspectives.
Just to reiterate although I already mentioned it to the person who replied to my post, I am most definitely an INTROVERT not an extrovert, I am just able ot see it from other peoples' perspectives.

Fair enough :biggrin: I can see why introverts sometimes find it hard to get a word in edgeways, even talkative people struggle to sometimes, so I understand why they don't get extroverts, but seeing as I am definitely an extrovert (although I do sometimes need to be on my own, we all do) I just thought I'd try to explain to the people on this thread how it feels from our perspective.
Reply 32
She IS shy, but people just don't seem to realise that you can be pretty and shy at the same time, so she often gets misunderstood.

I used to be a right old chatterbox but have lost my confidence over the years (a bad relationship). I started a second degree, and found that I was a vastly different person this time round. During my first degree, I had no problem giving confident presentations to a whole year group of 300 students, and generally being queen of the social scene and not short of male attention. Now I can barely squeak my name in a tiny class.

I cannot make new friends easily and stick to the ones I've made in the first week. I get asked for my number, and I'm told I'm not unattractive, but people think I'm arrogant instead of shy. I have a long list of issues about my appearance (who doesn't?!), so I find it hard to believe that. Instead, it's a Catch-22, as I think people are finding me unattractive, that's why they don't talk to me. It's a vicious circle, and difficult to find a middle ground or way out.

There is a guy in my class who I think likes me (all the tiny signs that students are so familiar with are there: staring at lectures, elbow-jabbing friends when you're spotted around campus, trying to sit next to you, running over to get the door for you). But here's the problem. My logical side can see he likes me. The other side says 'Don't be stupid, why would he like you? You never say anything! You're not God's gift to woman-kind! You melt into a puddle when someone tries to talk to you!' If he likes me, he thinks I'm not interested, or I'm arrogant. If he doesn't like me, I'm delusional. So I can't win.

The ultimate price shy people pay is that because we don't speak up, people think we are boring, or not smart, or have nothing valuable to contribute. Oh, but we do. We just need to believe in ourselves a little bit more, and realize the world isn't going to end if we start a conversation. And it would be nice if the confident people weren't so freaking GREAT, we wouldn't be so envious of your ability! You may not think much of it, but you have the gift of confidence, and no-one can teach you that. They can take it away from you, but you alone have to build it back up. (Am I preaching to myself?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by londonista
I used to be a right old chatterbox but have lost my confidence over the years (a bad relationship). I started a second degree, and found that I was a vastly different person this time round. During my first degree, I had no problem giving confident presentations to a whole year group of 300 students, and generally being queen of the social scene and not short of male attention. Now I can barely squeak my name in a tiny class.

I cannot make new friends easily and stick to the ones I've made in the first week. I get asked for my number, and I'm told I'm not unattractive, but people think I'm arrogant instead of shy. I have a long list of issues about my appearance (who doesn't?!), so I find it hard to believe that. Instead, it's a Catch-22, as I think people are finding me unattractive, that's why they don't talk to me. It's a vicious circle, and difficult to find a middle ground or way out.

There is a guy in my class who I think likes me (all the tiny signs that students are so familiar with are there: staring at lectures, elbow-jabbing friends when you're spotted around campus, trying to sit next to you, running over to get the door for you). But here's the problem. My logical side can see he likes me. The other side says 'Don't be stupid, why would he like you? You never say anything! You're not God's gift to woman-kind! You melt into a puddle when someone tries to talk to you!' If he likes me, he thinks I'm not interested, or I'm arrogant. If he doesn't like me, I'm delusional. So I can't win.

The ultimate price shy people pay is that because we don't speak up, people think we are boring, or not smart, or have nothing valuable to contribute. Oh, but we do. We just need to believe in ourselves a little bit more, and realize the world isn't going to end if we start a conversation. And it would be nice if the confident people weren't so freaking GREAT, we wouldn't be so envious of your ability! You may not think much of it, but you have the gift of confidence, and no-one can teach you that. They can take it away from you, but you alone have to build it back up. (Am I preaching to myself?)

This
Reply 34
Original post by a5a09
I am a quiet and shy person. I don't know why people hated me when I was at school…… They even bullied me and I hate them so ****ing much!

Become a politician and MAKE SURE THEY PAY THEIR DEBT!
Reply 35
if your quiet and shy fair enough but if someone comes up to you and talks but you just go blank then its awkward and keeps people away.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Have you never met someone and just found them intensely irritating and you don't know why? And then you get annoyed trying to work out what it is about them that you dislike, but they just drive you insane. It's a frustrating situation, particularly when it's friends of friends.

Anyway, as a chatty person, quiet people can be frustrating because you'll be chattering away and you just feel, even if it's not necessarily true, but you just feel waves of judgement from them for being so talkative and it starts to make situations uncomfortable. Or my sisters friend has known my family for years and she still can't speak in front of us, that's just confusing. Once I'm used to my friends families I'll just chat away quite happily

Edit: It's not people being shy that's the problem, it's people being unresponsive when you're trying to be nice and talk to them, or people who just look terrified of you. I mean, why? I don't think I'm a scary person, I'm just loud. I don't like to be thought of as scary. Little kids I can understand, teenagers are terrifying when you're little, but people my own age? Don't get it. I mean, one of my best friends used to be really really shy when she met but if you made the effort she'd feel more comfortable around you, whereas some people just never relax around you and in the end you give up and assume there's something wrong with you.

Edit: You asked, I'm just saying from the point of view of a talkative person, that's how we feel. We do have emotions, you know, we don't spend all our time thinking about shoes and television programmes.

Trust me, we're not judging you. We're actually more likely to be feeling guilty that we can't think of anything to say or to jump in at any point. We often enjoy listening to people, though. We just need more intimate relationships to open ourselves out more. Sometimes I get a false sense of openness due to many people on my scriptwriting course at Bournemouth university, in which I am in the second year of, because many of the 50 students in my year are as quiet as I am. All the times I get long messages on msn, text and even conversation utterances and all I send back are short messages. We hurt because of our little input.
Reply 37
Your not quiet or shy forever I think. People change I remember the quiest in my school becoming a great speecher !
If your young it's still time to think carefully what you say and talk :tongue:
better to be quiet then keep saying **** :tongue:
I'm sure there's someone or will be, who your not shy at all with :smile:
At least in my case... somepeople you feel so confident with
if there's people like that why would you care about who dislike you or not ?
I’m a quiet person solely because I have a hearing problem. I’d love to join in conversations but cannot make out what people are saying at times so it is easier not to say anything. Perhaps before judging someone as boring, snobbish or shy, maybe they have a hearing problem. I’ve been called snooty by my quietness. It’s upsetting not to be able to hear and join in conversations. It is a lonely life made worse by thoughtless people.
Can be a case of self projection of some sort of weakness. Pretty common if I say so myself, and can be mistaken for disliking a person despite a lack of personal investigation and social interactions.

Latest

Trending

Trending