The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Not a great uni by any means and the course would be seen as a joke to many IB employers, particularly if you compare them to the more rigorous, academic subjects like maths, physics, economics, engineering. And graduates of the latter are found everywhere in IBs. Try and get a 1st and some solid extracurriculars and there may be some way.
Reply 2
oh ok. my cousin is doing biochemistry at imperial colege. He was thinking of doin investment banking. If he gt a 2:1 or 1st, would he have a good chance of doing IB, because he's done a good sbject at a top uni..?
A better chance. Above average even. But I don't know if that is 'good'.

Good to me is over 50% and academics make up less than 50% of the process in my opinion.
gogna500
oh ok. my cousin is doing biochemistry at imperial colege. He was thinking of doin investment banking. If he gt a 2:1 or 1st, would he have a good chance of doing IB, because he's done a good sbject at a top uni..?

Good chance, still more preferable to do the engineering/physics side but he won't have trouble with that as long as he's the right fit with everything else.
Reply 5
LBC213
Good chance, still more preferable to do the engineering/physics side but he won't have trouble with that as long as he's the right fit with everything else.

why would they prefer physics..? and also, what do you mean by 'as long as hes the right fit?'
Physics/Engineering is more maths and more modelling of the right sort.

Fit = cultural fit.
Reply 7
oh ok, but if you do a science degree liike biochemistry, it wont effect your chances though. so, is it possible to g in the front office if you did a degree like biochem, at imperial, bristol, warwick, KCL and notts?
Reply 8
Absolutely. Biochemists are paricularly useful in equity research and M&A sectors covering the chemical and pharmaceutical industries and there are a few grads from this discipline in those areas from the top unis. Those unis would be Oxbridge, Imperial Warwick and perhaps Notts. KCL isn't great and isn't even a top ten uni.
Well, biochem is an advantage if the place has an opening on the pharma desk for example, but on average, it isn't as useful as physics/engineering.

As for good unis, it's been covered elsewhere.
Reply 10
President_Ben
Well, biochem is an advantage if the place has an opening on the pharma desk for example, but on average, it isn't as useful as physics/engineering.
As for good unis, it's been covered elsewhere.

Yeah definitely.
Reply 11
can you pretty much do any degree then, a long as its from a top uni to get into IB..? i.e. do a degree in philospy at oxbridge or imperial..? i know, random question
Reply 12
No you can't just do 'any old degree' and expect to be in contention for entry to an IB. If you read the posts above you will realise the point is that mathematical-based degrees are preferred hands down to any other disciplines. Philosophy won't help even if it's from Oxbridge if a fellow applicant is doing Maths/Engeneering at Imperial or Economics from LSE/UCL.
Reply 13
Also want to add a question to the list...

Is Computer Science (from sheffield) an ok way to go for IB??
Reply 14
Sorry mate but no. You'd probably even struggle to land a back-office role with a degree from Sheffield.
gogna500
can you pretty much do any degree then, a long as its from a top uni to get into IB..? i.e. do a degree in philospy at oxbridge or imperial..? i know, random question

Imperial does not do any Arts subjects, only science (weird it doesn't do Economics but there you go).

el_capitan
No you can't just do 'any old degree' and expect to be in contention for entry to an IB. If you read the posts above you will realise the point is that mathematical-based degrees are preferred hands down to any other disciplines. Philosophy won't help even if it's from Oxbridge if a fellow applicant is doing Maths/Engeneering at Imperial or Economics from LSE/UCL.

Yes, mathematical based degrees are preffered, purely from the nature of the job which requires a very good analytical ability. I would think that all else being equal a maths/physics/engineering grad would be taken over a philosophy candidate but thats not to say an Arts grad can't get into bankng, because they can and have, even for the mathematical fixed income areas.

TheOxe
Also want to add a question to the list...

Is Computer Science (from sheffield) an ok way to go for IB??

Very unlikely, Sheffield won't be on most if any IB's milkround. Its worth trying, with outstanding ECs it may be doable, I've never heard of a Sheff grad doing it, but worth a shot, nothing to lose. Also, the thing is with a CompSci degree surely you'll be aiming for Tech division and those are pretty much Imperial/Oxbridge/UCL territory aswell.
el_capitan
Sorry mate but no. You'd probably even struggle to land a back-office role with a degree from Sheffield.

Not true. As someone else pointed out, tech is a possibility. I've heard of Sheffield grads getting into tech.

Latest

Trending

Trending