The Student Room Group

PhD chances with an MRes from Imperial

Hey all, I am currently studying for an MRes in Cancer Biology at Imperial College London, and am looking to apply for a studentship PhD at University of Westminster also studying in the cancer field. I was just wondering if anyone knew the chances of me being chosen with a high 2.1 BSc in Biosciences, and a MRes (hopefully distinction) from Imperial?

Cheers!
Sounds a good background to me. They certainly wont turn you away on the basis of your grades. PhD places (and funding) also hang on the strength of both your research proposal and your academic references. If you've got these sorted, I'd think you could be reasonably hopeful.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Sounds a good background to me. They certainly wont turn you away on the basis of your grades. PhD places (and funding) also hang on the strength of both your research proposal and your academic references. If you've got these sorted, I'd think you could be reasonably hopeful.

In the sciences, it's most unusual to come up with a research proposal. Most science PhDs are advertised with funding and a specific proposal in mind.

References, grades and interview all play a role in deciding whether you will receive an offer. I was rejected from a PhD because another candidate had used a technique before. So it's also dependent on the other candidates, and a little bit of luck!

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Couldxbe
In the sciences, it's most unusual to come up with a research proposal. Most science PhDs are advertised with funding and a specific proposal in mind.

References, grades and interview all play a role in deciding whether you will receive an offer. I was rejected from a PhD because another candidate had used a technique before. So it's also dependent on the other candidates, and a little bit of luck!

:smile:

This.

Also, I think you're selling yourself a little bit short with Westminster when there are so many opportunities in your field in London alone.
Reply 4
Thanks for all your comments guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending