The Student Room Group

The Big Lambing Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jigsaw Puzzle
This is a bit of a silly question, but if you are staying at accommodation on site at a placement how do you knows it's safe? I was saying to my mum yesterday about some farmers providing accommodation and how I wanted to go and stay on a farm for my lambing next year and she said she'd want to check that they were safe and not crazy axe murderers or something but surely there's no way to prove that :tongue:

You have to make that call yourself. Personally I was just picked up from the station by a farmer I'd only spoken to a couple of times on the phone, but I appreciate that not everybody would be happy to do that. One of the people that came lambing at the same time as me last year was dropped of by their mother, who then got the chance to look around the farm, speak to the family etc. Could your mother come with you to drop you off?

If you/your mother are still worried then would you be more comfortable to go to a place personally recommended by someone? There are Facebook groups etc for vetty people who are more than happy to talk about their experiences at different farms. I'm sure that all reasonable farmers would be more than happy to speak to your family about it before you go, too. And it goes without saying that you should take your phone, meet in a public place etc etc if you end up going alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You have to make that call yourself. Personally I was just picked up from the station by a farmer I'd only spoken to a couple of times on the phone, but I appreciate that not everybody would be happy to do that. One of the people that came lambing at the same time as me last year was dropped of by their mother, who then got the chance to look around the farm, speak to the family etc. Could your mother come with you to drop you off?

If you/your mother are still worried then would you be more comfortable to go to a place personally recommended by someone? There are Facebook groups etc for vetty people who are more than happy to talk about their experiences at different farms. I'm sure that all reasonable farmers would be more than happy to speak to your family about it before you go, too. And it goes without saying that you should take your phone, meet in a public place etc etc if you end up going alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those ideas are both very good and I think they will make my mum feel more at ease so thank you very much! I tried to rep you but it said please rate some other members :frown:
Is anyone else in year 13 (going to vet school in September) and struggling to find free time to go lambing? I've booked one Weekend on a local organic I usually help out with but I usually do like two weeks :'(
Original post by TheBreatGritain
Is anyone else in year 13 (going to vet school in September) and struggling to find free time to go lambing? I've booked one Weekend on a local organic I usually help out with but I usually do like two weeks :'(

Yeah, I did two weeks last time but this year I'm only going for a week (or maybe more :colone: train ticket is open return so who knows when I'll leave :tongue: ) It's a shame but if we sacrifice it now to do work and end up getting the grades we need then we'll be able to do loads of lambing next year when we're actual vet students :biggrin: !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone happen to know a farm happy for me to help with lambing even though I've never done it before? I'm nearly 17 going into lower sixth and I'm very much aware that this coming spring 2016 is my last chance before application next year. I live in the SW of England so anywhere around there ideally, thanks in advance
Original post by Aimeech98
Would anyone happen to know a farm happy for me to help with lambing even though I've never done it before? I'm nearly 17 going into lower sixth and I'm very much aware that this coming spring 2016 is my last chance before application next year. I live in the SW of England so anywhere around there ideally, thanks in advance

Hey, I don't know of any farms in your area as such but if you head over to the NSA website you're sure to find something 🐏😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably a bit far for you but I could get you in touch with a great organic farmer in Cumbria who can give you free accommodation whilst you are getting your work experience with her. She's used to people coming from all over the place and has had people from London and even abroad before.
Original post by TheBreatGritain
It's probably a bit far for you but I could get you in touch with a great organic farmer in Cumbria who can give you free accommodation whilst you are getting your work experience with her. She's used to people coming from all over the place and has had people from London and even abroad before.

That sounds amazing! If it was a short placement during a school holiday, I would be more than happy to travel! If she has an email, would you be able to send it over - [email protected]. Thanks so much for your help
That sounds amazing! If it was a short placement during a school holiday, I would be more than happy to travel! If she has an email, would you be able to send it over - [email protected]. Thanks so much for your help

She's away till Thursday but I'll pass on your email... as with most farmers she's usually terrible at answering the phone!
Reply 69
I am looking for lambing work experience in Cornwall/Gloucester/Avon area or anywhere else with accommodation, where should I begin to look.

Thanks.
The NSA lambing list went live today :smile:
Hello, I'm tempted to apply for some lambing work but I don't know what age you are meant to be, I have only a little animal experience (been working at a stable for two months as well as a few days shadowing a vet in a zoo) but no lambing experience and I was hoping to start as early as possible age-wise. I am 15, would that be an okay age to apply for lambing?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
The NSA lambing list went live today :smile:

Not today :biggrin: Almost a week ago :tongue:
Original post by Nessie162
Not today :biggrin: Almost a week ago :tongue:

I am deeply hurt and offended that they only sent me the email today
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put some feelers out for potential help with lambing this Dec. The farm I lamb with is looking for help with winter lambing of their pedigree flock.

Our ewes are all AI'd and due to lamb over the first weekend in Dec. However we get lambs coming from around a week before, to a week after these dates. As the farmers also have full time jobs and I am back at Uni we were hoping to potentially find someone who could help oversee the ewes over the week before/after the busy period.
There is also potential to return to help lamb the returns at xmas and the commercial flock in the spring.

No experience is needed, they are excellent teachers! (I started with them as a complete beginner) This would definately suit someone taking a year out to gain experience/resit exams! I started with them in my gap year and never really left the farm! I still go back every year to lamb with them and other routine work with the sheep and pigs.

We are based in Chester. Accomodation and food provided (and the food is superb!) This would be a fantastic opportunity for someone to gain a lot of practical skills an knowledge with farm animals and a very friendly environment!

If interested please contact me in the first instance and I will put you in touch with the farmer.

Thanks

Emily
Original post by dramaqueen99
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put some feelers out for potential help with lambing this Dec. The farm I lamb with is looking for help with winter lambing of their pedigree flock.

Our ewes are all AI'd and due to lamb over the first weekend in Dec. However we get lambs coming from around a week before, to a week after these dates. As the farmers also have full time jobs and I am back at Uni we were hoping to potentially find someone who could help oversee the ewes over the week before/after the busy period.
There is also potential to return to help lamb the returns at xmas and the commercial flock in the spring.

No experience is needed, they are excellent teachers! (I started with them as a complete beginner) This would definately suit someone taking a year out to gain experience/resit exams! I started with them in my gap year and never really left the farm! I still go back every year to lamb with them and other routine work with the sheep and pigs.

We are based in Chester. Accomodation and food provided (and the food is superb!) This would be a fantastic opportunity for someone to gain a lot of practical skills an knowledge with farm animals and a very friendly environment!

If interested please contact me in the first instance and I will put you in touch with the farmer.

Thanks

Emily

Hi, I would be interested in gaining some lambing experience please, I have no previous experience. Would you be able to put me in contact with the farmer

Thanks, Claire
We are looking for a lambing student from mid Feb for 4 weeks ish, would suit a student studying animal care or vet science. Accommodation available, treated as part of the family, opportunity to do everything (not just fill water buckets!), no experience required. 220 ewes lambing indoors. Based in North Oxon. For more info please contact Joe Abernethy on 07894065212.
(if you know of anyone that might be interested please share!)
Reply 77
Does anyone have any contacts for farms which lamb over christmas/new year? I've got a pretty packed schedule over easter so it'd be nice to have lambing over and done with by next term. Cheers :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by suofei
Does anyone have any contacts for farms which lamb over christmas/new year? I've got a pretty packed schedule over easter so it'd be nice to have lambing over and done with by next term. Cheers :smile:

There is one on the NSA lambing list - he's called Bill Hobbs in Dartmoor (just looked it up, I'm not that sad that I remember) and it says: We also lamb over Christmas starting 15/12/15 if anyone isn't a celebrator of the festive season and wants some experience."
Reply 79
Original post by nox1
There is one on the NSA lambing list - he's called Bill Hobbs in Dartmoor (just looked it up, I'm not that sad that I remember) and it says: We also lamb over Christmas starting 15/12/15 if anyone isn't a celebrator of the festive season and wants some experience."

ah yeah thanks I saw that before and emailed him a few days ago but no reply yet :frown:
Thanks anyway! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending