The Student Room Group

Is it only me or...? Please help

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of applying for a PhD in 2013 in the area of Psychology/Psychoanalysis. However, I am really struggling to find a research question that is interesting enough to be answered and worth of a PhD study. Moreover, when I find an interesting question, after doing some bibliographical research, I find that someone has already studied the theme or even wrote a long book about it (even if it is a books out of print written in the 1930´s).

I believe this has to do with my own personality because it would be much more easier if someone gave me a research question that I could find interesting enough to develop in a PhD. Otherwise, I feel paralysed by the infinite horizon of possible themes and questions and I will end up doing nothing. Perhaps I am not intelligent enough to do a PhD but I know that once I am able to overcome the struggle with the initial theme/question that I will do fine.

How easy it is for one to come with an interesting and worth of doing a PhD and get accepted by an University? Do you believe there are still some unanswered questions? I am just being too demanding on myself? Can anyone share their experiences?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.
Try looking on findaphd.com

They list all the titles proposed by supervisors at the different Unis.

I couldn't imagine having to create my own title, but there were quite a few titles that took my fancy on there (not the same discipline as you though!)
Reply 2
GooglyEyedMonster thank you for your reply.

The issue is that I understand that there are several types of PhD´s. Some already exist and you have to apply to them. However, in the area of Psychoanalysis, the scenario is that you have to "create" your own PhD, i.e. you come up with a question that you want to be answered/worth pursuing, create a PhD proposal, you search for a supervisor (check academic interests on Universities websites, meet up with them, ask them to supervise your work) and than enrol in the PhD (self funded, of course)...

It´s not a case of a "PhD searching for a student" but the opposite, a "student looking for their own PhD and supervisor"... Therefore, without a PhD question I am a student without a PhD.
Reply 3
Are you near enough your undergrad/Masters study that you could go and ask advice from the academic staff? Just ask for an informal chat over coffee (take cake - it helps!) to ask for some guidance. They may have ideas which are either directly useful, or which could trigger an idea for you.
Original post by lc49
GooglyEyedMonster thank you for your reply.

The issue is that I understand that there are several types of PhD´s. Some already exist and you have to apply to them. However, in the area of Psychoanalysis, the scenario is that you have to "create" your own PhD, i.e. you come up with a question that you want to be answered/worth pursuing, create a PhD proposal, you search for a supervisor (check academic interests on Universities websites, meet up with them, ask them to supervise your work) and than enrol in the PhD (self funded, of course)...

It´s not a case of a "PhD searching for a student" but the opposite, a "student looking for their own PhD and supervisor"... Therefore, without a PhD question I am a student without a PhD.

Ah, I see.

I could only apply for funded places, and funding is usually attached to a research question. Hence its the only route I know!

Good Luck with getting to where you want. Its much easier to get a PhD when self funded so you have that with you. Are you still at Uni now for an undergrad or masters? If so, it would be worth approaching a tutor or supervisor and see what they say about possible topic areas.
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I am finishing my Masters. Well, I am thinking of self funding my PhD and to work part-time (as I do now with my masters). Perhaps I need some guidance from a teacher but since I want to apply to a different university, usually they only meet with students which already have a PhD proposal (they do not want to waste their time...). So it is kind of a catch 22, I can only develop a proposal after meeting with a teacher and I am only able to meet with a teacher once I have a PhD proposal. But I am aware this is not always the case and som teachers are much more accessible than others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending