The Student Room Group

Kings Scholarship at Eton College

Hi, I have a few questions about the Kings Scholarship at Eton. Firstly, does anyone know how many children apply for this prestigious scholarship? How would the chances be for a underprivileged child who is very bright? and finally, how are Kings Scholars treated at Eton? (I have a younger brother who has recently applied for this scholarship):smile:
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Hi, I have a few questions about the Kings Scholarship at Eton. Firstly, does anyone know how many children apply for this prestigious scholarship? How would the chances be for a underprivileged child who is very bright? and finally, how are Kings Scholars treated at Eton? (I have a younger brother who has recently applied for this scholarship):smile:

KS are usually awarded to pupils of prep schools with a long tradition of preparation for the examination. The examination requires considerable subject knowledge. It is not an intelligence test.

The New Foundation scholarships are designed for those from a state school background.

The KS itself has a relatively modest financial benefit; it is really an academic distinction but those who gain one but can't afford the fees will get means tested bursaries as well.
Original post by nulli tertius
KS are usually awarded to pupils of prep schools with a long tradition of preparation for the examination. The examination requires considerable subject knowledge. It is not an intelligence test.

The New Foundation scholarships are designed for those from a state school background.

The KS itself has a relatively modest financial benefit; it is really an academic distinction but those who gain one but can't afford the fees will get means tested bursaries as well.

I have looked at the exams and the questions look of GCSE standard, nothing impossible. Sadly my brother was unaware of the New Foundation scholarship so did not apply for it. Should he still do the KS test or not?
Original post by Galileo Galilei
I have looked at the exams and the questions look of GCSE standard, nothing impossible. Sadly my brother was unaware of the New Foundation scholarship so did not apply for it. Should he still do the KS test or not?

Go for it!

Of course GCSE standard for a 12 year old is quite impressive.
Original post by nulli tertius
Go for it!

Of course GCSE standard for a 12 year old is quite impressive.

my brother honestly could do these exam without struggling he has covered most GCSE maths topics already

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending