The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSE Subject?

Scroll to see replies

IT DiDA - Any help would be great :smile:
and PE - not exactly straightforward and clear.. I think.. Not with a teacher like mine anyway **bitch**
well for me it was science but that's just because I'm not a sciencey person :P
For me it is definitely English/English Lit. I can't write essays in a certain time limit, because I always need time to think and plan and stuff, and 45 minutes definitely isn't enough time for me. There's also the aspect that you can't really revise too much for it in the sense of just memorising facts, like I suppose it is possible to do for most other subjects, and I always feel so unprepared going into an English exam no matter how much I've tried to revise.

I think if I had taken Art/PE/a technology GCSE (thankfully none of which are compulsory at my school), I would have definitely found that the hardest, because I'm not creative, hate sport and I really really can't draw. The coursework element in technology also looks awful- the people who do Graphics especially always seem to have so much to do in such a tight deadline, and are permanently stressed about it. As people have said before, Art also seems so hard to get a good grade in, and I can't believe how high the A* boundary is.

I suppose everything is different for different people though
Reply 103
I voted for Science..I wasn't very good at that subject.
Maths. AS Maths is easier. (Can't comment on A2, however as im only in year 12)
Reply 105
lil_miss_rapunzel
For me it is definitely English/English Lit. I can't write essays in a certain time limit, because I always need time to think and plan and stuff, and 45 minutes definitely isn't enough time for me. There's also the aspect that you can't really revise too much for it in the sense of just memorising facts, like I suppose it is possible to do for most other subjects, and I always feel so unprepared going into an English exam no matter how much I've tried to revise.

I think if I had taken Art/PE/a technology GCSE (thankfully none of which are compulsory at my school), I would have definitely found that the hardest, because I'm not creative, hate sport and I really really can't draw. The coursework element in technology also looks awful- the people who do Graphics especially always seem to have so much to do in such a tight deadline, and are permanently stressed about it. As people have said before, Art also seems so hard to get a good grade in, and I can't believe how high the A* boundary is.

I suppose everything is different for different people though

wow are you my long lost twin or something?
I feel exactly the same lol. I'd just settle for a C in English (even though i'm meant to get A/B) just so I can forget about it forever lol
Reply 106
Art 100%, you can;t just revise the week before and get an A*, you need to work HARD and be really talented.

Economics is also hard to get a good grade, because the exam boundaries are extremely tough.
Tallon
wow are you my long lost twin or something?
I feel exactly the same lol. I'd just settle for a C in English (even though i'm meant to get A/B) just so I can forget about it forever lol

Me too! We're triplets! :biggrin:
Reply 108
According to the exam stastics Mathematics is the hardest subject at GCSE and English is easier.For example the percentage of people who get an A/A* in English is more than in Maths the same goes for a C grade.But it all deppends with the candidate.Some people do better in subjects that are considered harder compared to the ones considered to be easier!

Personaly History is the hardest GCSE i'm taking at the moment!
I agree that history is quite hard. There just seems to be such a lot more to remember!
languages definitely.

you cant just swot up to get an A* in them. you have actually work really hard all year, or naturally be good at them.

maths isn't hard. you dont need intelligence to do well at gcse maths.

same goes for the sciences...

art/music could be argued to be hard too. depends on teaching and natural ability.
Come on...English is by far the easiest two GCSE's! Latin is way, way harder, and in that all you have to do is learn the vocab lists and set texts off by heart. Sciences can also be tricky on a crap exam board like AQA but English is definitely not the hardest!
ENGLISH !!! !
no doubt
bengibbon
Come on...English is by far the easiest two GCSE's! Latin is way, way harder, and in that all you have to do is learn the vocab lists and set texts off by heart. Sciences can also be tricky on a crap exam board like AQA but English is definitely not the hardest!

Depends what your natural abilities are though, doesn't it? :smile: For example I'm more of a maths/science person because my brain is more able to cope with that kind of stuff than the creativity/opinions/analysis needed for English!
It's good to know that it's not just me who finds English hard :biggrin:
Reply 115
music.
totally music!
Reply 116
well
the education authorities have published a lovely little list, in order of difficulty, and latin is hardest, no doubt about it. others at the top of the difficulty scale are languages, sciences (exc. biology), and stats

i think it goes:

latin
chemistry
physics
german
french
spanish
stats

or something like that. easier subjects are the usual suspects; drama, PE, textiles, media, office tech and home ec. also on the list was english, which i suppose makes sense (english does not equal literature, that's a completely different kettle of fish. it's referring to english language, which is a very easy GCSE)

personally, it's chemistry. i only find biology, art and german difficult because i don't really care. maths is easy if you remember your stuff, and as long as you can remember the equations, physics is piddle at GCSE. imo, anyway.

can't speak for stats
What is stats doing there? I have heard it's just easy and dull.

Although I haven't done it myself so I wouldn't really know.
Reply 118
I'd have to say English. :wink:
Probably English for me. In the year 10 mocks this year we were told on paper 1 to only do section A but I thought it we were only meant to do question 1 so I ended up getting 10/21 which was an E. On the second literature test I got a B so it averaged out as me just getting C. That C is going to be the odd one out on my Yr 10 report.

Quick Reply

Latest