The Student Room Group

Imperial or Loughborough for Mechanical Engineering?

I have offers from both but I'm having trouble choosing between these two unis for my course, just looking for some opinions on what people think about them.

I think I will enjoy the course more at Loughborough, that it has better facilities, staff and satisfaction but Imperial has better job prospects and reputation. Is that really worth me choosing it over Loughborough though?

Also, if your good at sport, in my case hockey, but nowhere near good enough to play for top unis like Loughborough, will I still be able to train and play it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SkiL-BiLL
I have offers from both but I'm having trouble choosing between these two unis for my course, just looking for some opinions on what people think about them.

I think I will enjoy the course more at Loughborough, that it has better facilities, staff and satisfaction but Imperial has better job prospects and reputation. Is that really worth me choosing it over Loughborough though?

Also, if your good at sport, in my case hockey, but nowhere near good enough to play for top unis like Loughborough, will I still be able to train and play it?

Hello :smile:
I would say definitely Imperial. It has the big name, the reputation and it is also in London!
I think they also have good teams as well, check in the BUCKS website.
Wherever you go, bare in mind that all the Unis have 3-4 teams for all types of people, so you will be able to play Hockey, anywhere you go :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by alexkol
I would say definitely Imperial. It has the big name, the reputation and it is also in London!
Wherever you go, bare in mind that all the Unis have 3-4 teams for all types of people, so you will be able to play Hockey, anywhere you go :smile:

lol its funny how you always mention reputation all the time as if thats the only thing to life, don't go to a university just because its apparently got a good "reputation" you go where you are happy the most.
Reply 3

go where you felt you happiest as you are going to be there for years to come so it should be enjoyable! As for the sport of course you will be able to train and play they will not discriminate anyone.
Original post by a10
lol its funny how you always mention reputation all the time as if thats the only thing to life, don't go to a university just because its apparently got a good "reputation" you go where you are happy the most.

QFT
Imperial of course. It has bad rep due to the workload, however, I think this prepares you well for the industry
Reply 6
Original post by + polarity -
QFT

PRSOM!
Reply 7
Original post by a10

I don't know anyone that has studied in Imperial and regretted it though :rolleyes:
Original post by alexkol
I don't know anyone that has studied in Imperial and regretted it though :rolleyes:

Might want to take a look at their first/second year failure rates and come back to us about that one :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Sweet-Nothing
Might want to take a look at their first/second year failure rates and come back to us about that one :wink:

Yeah there is a reason for that!
If you've ever went to Uni and experienced London's Uni life as well, you should know how easy it is to get distracted and start partying evert single night!
This think in comparison with the competitive environment of Imperial and the difficulty of an Engineering course lead to failure :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by alexkol

I do. I know someone who went there to do electrical/electronic engineering and he was complaining how it was not his "type of place" he hated the atmosphere and also complained that the course was less practical and too "academic" (as in he didn't really get enough practical lab sessions compared to other uni's and how he wished he had gone somewhere else). Perfect example of why reputation =/= the best.

I even have another friend who declined imperial because of their ridiculous A-level offers (he would have got A*A*A*) and also he felt it was too much academic for him instead he chose to go to Sheffield.

As you can see, just go to where you are happy.

a10.
Original post by alexkol
Yeah there is a reason for that!
If you've ever went to Uni and experienced London's Uni life as well, you should know how easy it is to get distracted and start partying evert single night!
This think in comparison with the competitive environment of Imperial and the difficulty of an Engineering course lead to failure :wink:

Mate, I am at Imperial studying engineering...
I disagree that it is completely for the reasons you outlined above. There is very little support given to students at Imperial.

What I am saying is that it is worth keeping in mind the failure rate, give the statistics, you are reasonably likely to fail the course..
Original post by alexkol

Now you do.
Reply 13
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'm going to pick Loughborough.

But just to be difficult I went to see bath yesterday and quite liked it, it felt a lot more cosy than Loughborough and its much more pretty.

So now I'm stuck between Bath and Loughborough, any advice?
Reply 14

But just to be difficult I went to see bath yesterday and quite liked it, it felt a lot more cosy than Loughborough and its much more pretty.

which place did you feel the most comfortable at? [insert answer here]

Go to that one.
Reply 15

Not sure if you have picked and I am too late. I am a loughborough Mech Eng first year and also got offers from both (bath) but picked loughborough. Tbh they're pretty similar in terms of ranking depending where you look. Reason I chose loughborough was because as much as I preferred bath as a place (loughborough's called the bubble for a reason) the reputation with industry in terms of contacts etc seemed stronger at loughborough and i wasnt too wrong. My personal tutor has close links with red bull racing and so we got a chance to have a tutor meeting with a representative from rbr! I also know mercedes have been in to give presentations aswell to name a few. The other thing about loughborough is the department just had this 'stronger' feel to it than bath and i can tell you it's fantastically thorough but saying that i have no idea what bath are actually like. In terms of content i know loughborough (from experience!) is one tough tough course (toughest on campus along with aero) and will test you. There research is strong and that has many benefits that i cant really explain here because its easier to experience it but as one example we were given a project worth 30% of our module grade and because our tutor (like all) are actively involved in research projects it just so happened he had written a paper on something directly related to our project! it meant we could go try the experiments out and learn the advanced theory to put in our project!
One of my good friends (lives opposite me) in loughborough plays first team hockey and anyone in uni first teams for major sports generally tends to be people who may well go pro. Friend in question has represented Holland for hockey and even in second team there are those similar to him! Standards are pretty high to make uni teams even if there is four! For football even the lowest standard of interhall football is pretty damn high! But hockey isnt the same in that once you get to interhall its a pretty poor standard and the uni fourth team really isnt anything special. That said the facilities are second to absolute none and even if you dont think you'll get in (you may very well surprise yourself...) then local clubs offer a perfectly viable option (another friend plays for a local club and he's decent). Your level of sport will undoubtedly improve while at loughborough i promise you that!
Obviously i am going to be heavily biased towards loughborough but i hope it gives you or anyone reading an insight into loughboroughs advantages of which there are many. Loughborough would have been my last choice on location or even how great the campus is since I got an offer from UCL (London!), Nottingham, Bath and Newcastle (!) but it really was the best in terms of course and i dont regret it. yes they work you hard and yes it can be annoying being the only people in year 1 who have to go to the library out of exam period or have a packed timetable (my friend does 6 hours a week i do 22 on a bad week!) but it's very challenging and stimulating. Just one last thing with regards to location. I dont really buy into this whole go where you feel comfortable. I absolutely love london and while loughborough is sufficient there is no comparison. But UCL just wasnt as good as loughborough for the course. As long as it isnt REALLY bad then location shouldnt be top of priorities. Three, four years doing a degree at a quality institution that will set you up for the rest of your life is small sacrifice compared to location. I would have picked imperial if i had got an offer out of the two but then i wouldnt of taken into account failure rates as pointed out here. Sorry for the really long post but its best to be honest. The important thing is that you have committed to a good future by doing mech eng! :smile:
Original post by Sweet-Nothing
Now you do.

Not quite true as he doesn't actually know that person, now he just knows OF such a person exists.

Besides, I personally knew of a handful who did engineering at Cambridge and ended up unemployed so going by that, you shouldn't choose Cambridge either.

The only foolproof way of ensuring you don't fail is NOT to go to any uni at all!

Do either of them offer a years work placement?
Reply 18
Original post by alexkol

loughborough are all about sports...
as far as athletics go anyway :yep:
Reply 19
Original post by Gokul1
Not sure if you have picked and I am too late. I am a loughborough Mech Eng first year and also got offers from both (bath) but picked loughborough. Tbh they're pretty similar in terms of ranking depending where you look. Reason I chose loughborough was because as much as I preferred bath as a place (loughborough's called the bubble for a reason) the reputation with industry in terms of contacts etc seemed stronger at loughborough and i wasnt too wrong. My personal tutor has close links with red bull racing and so we got a chance to have a tutor meeting with a representative from rbr! I also know mercedes have been in to give presentations aswell to name a few. The other thing about loughborough is the department just had this 'stronger' feel to it than bath and i can tell you it's fantastically thorough but saying that i have no idea what bath are actually like. In terms of content i know loughborough (from experience!) is one tough tough course (toughest on campus along with aero) and will test you. There research is strong and that has many benefits that i cant really explain here because its easier to experience it but as one example we were given a project worth 30% of our module grade and because our tutor (like all) are actively involved in research projects it just so happened he had written a paper on something directly related to our project! it meant we could go try the experiments out and learn the advanced theory to put in our project!
One of my good friends (lives opposite me) in loughborough plays first team hockey and anyone in uni first teams for major sports generally tends to be people who may well go pro. Friend in question has represented Holland for hockey and even in second team there are those similar to him! Standards are pretty high to make uni teams even if there is four! For football even the lowest standard of interhall football is pretty damn high! But hockey isnt the same in that once you get to interhall its a pretty poor standard and the uni fourth team really isnt anything special. That said the facilities are second to absolute none and even if you dont think you'll get in (you may very well surprise yourself...) then local clubs offer a perfectly viable option (another friend plays for a local club and he's decent). Your level of sport will undoubtedly improve while at loughborough i promise you that!
Obviously i am going to be heavily biased towards loughborough but i hope it gives you or anyone reading an insight into loughboroughs advantages of which there are many. Loughborough would have been my last choice on location or even how great the campus is since I got an offer from UCL (London!), Nottingham, Bath and Newcastle (!) but it really was the best in terms of course and i dont regret it. yes they work you hard and yes it can be annoying being the only people in year 1 who have to go to the library out of exam period or have a packed timetable (my friend does 6 hours a week i do 22 on a bad week!) but it's very challenging and stimulating. Just one last thing with regards to location. I dont really buy into this whole go where you feel comfortable. I absolutely love london and while loughborough is sufficient there is no comparison. But UCL just wasnt as good as loughborough for the course. As long as it isnt REALLY bad then location shouldnt be top of priorities. Three, four years doing a degree at a quality institution that will set you up for the rest of your life is small sacrifice compared to location. I would have picked imperial if i had got an offer out of the two but then i wouldnt of taken into account failure rates as pointed out here. Sorry for the really long post but its best to be honest. The important thing is that you have committed to a good future by doing mech eng! :smile:

Wow, thank you for writing all of that. You are defo not too late, I was leaning to towards Loughborough anyway but I think you have sold it to me. As for the course being tough, I really don’t mind that, as long as I get support when needed (which I have heard they are good with).
That’s also put my worries about sport to rest as well, as even if I don’t make the uni teams; hopefully I will be able to make one of the town teams instead.
As for the location, I agree with you on that, I also think the course is more important. And I am going to reject imperial because even though it’s a great uni with probably one of the highest employment rates in the country, loughborough still has a very good rate. But the main reason is that I just think I will enjoy my time at Loughborough far more than at imperial and to me id rather go to a slightly worse uni for mech eng (even though the facilities still look amazing and the sports facilities are unrivaled) and have a great time. Than go to a better reputation uni, not get any better at sport and not enjoy myself as much.
And don't worry about the long post I found it incredibly useful :smile:
What halls are you at btw and any opinions on that hall?

Quick Reply

Latest