The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure you can still change. For example, I'm currently doing a 4-year course with the year abroad in the 3rd year. The first 2 years are exactly the same as those on the straight course. So throughout your second year, you still have time to decide whether you wanna finish off your course and do the final year, or spend that year studying abroad and then come back to finish your course.
Reply 21
Well, yeah, I have changed to the 4 year one now, because, when you're on the three year one, they cannot guarantee that you will be able to switch to the longer one ... Whereas now, if I really couldn't do the year abroad for some reason, they would let me transfer back to the 3 year degree. So it was the safer choice and I think I really wanna do the year abroad now anyway! Saying that, I haven't started uni yet, so I hope I won't hate it and won't mind the extra year :p: I have always hated school, but yet I have always known I wanted to do uni. I have a feeling I'll like it. I hope I'm right :biggrin:
Oh yea, uni is so much better than school! Only 2 terms of classes (for most people) and you probably only go in half of the week. Then some of those days might even be half days, and even start at 2-3pm!

And yea, you made the right choice picking the 4-year as you can easily drop down to the 3-year course if you don't feel like doing the year abroad.
Reply 23
My friend got into her last choice and opted not to take the year out in the end, so you have nothing to lose! (She said every other applicant got their first or second choice, don't worry) The *one* negative point is a 4th year if all your friends were on 3 year courses. Otherwise, it's an amazing experience.

How does funding work for your year out? Do you get a travel grant or anything? Do you pay the same fees?
Reply 24
I pay half the fees I would normally pay (1500 pounds) and then I have to fund living over there. You can get into halls or find private housing. I don't get a travel grant, I'm sure, but I'm not British, so I don't get any grants lol I think it's basically just an extra year that you have to be able to afford somehow... I know for me it will be.
I am currently on a 3 yr American Studies programme and have just been offered to go over to the US as a TA. (I would be living in the German house or the international house and be a teaching assistant, as well as a student!)

The nice thing is, they are all fairly well known, good and expensive liberal art colleges. I will get all my fees paid plus a scholarship.

These are the colleges:

Bates College
Lewiston, Maine
www.bates.edu

Bucknell University
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
www.bucknell.edu

College of the Holy Cross
Worcester, Massachusetts
www.holycross.edu

Converse College
Spartanburg, South Carolina
www.converse.edu

DePauw University
Creencastle, Indiana
www.depauw.edu

Grinnell College
Grinnell, Iowa
www.grinnell.edu

Gustavus Adolphus College
Saint Peter, Minnesota
www.gustavus.edu

Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
http://titan.iwu.edu/home/home.php

Lawrence University
Appleton, Wisconsin
www.lawrence.edu

Luther College
Decorah, Iowa
www.luther.edu

McDaniel College
Westminster, Maryland
www.mcdaniel.edu

Spring Hill College
Mobile, Alabama
www.shc.edu

University of Redlands
Redlands, California
www.redlands.edu

Whitman College
Walla Walla, Washington
www.whitman.edu

Western Maryland College
Westminster, Maryland
www.wmdc.edu

Any input on any of the colleges?
I'm studying a double major (American Studies and Education) with the intention of either doing a research Masters degree in American Studies or a Masters degree in Educational Operations and Management with special emphasis on English.
Reply 26
Irvine is GREAT, especially for busness and media. Campus and staff are nice too
Reply 27
yourjoyismylow
I am currently on a 3 yr American Studies programme and have just been offered to go over to the US as a TA. (I would be living in the German house or the international house and be a teaching assistant, as well as a student!)

The nice thing is, they are all fairly well known, good and expensive liberal art colleges. I will get all my fees paid plus a scholarship...Any input on any of the colleges?

Of the schools on the list, Buknell and Grinnell probably have the best reputations. Of the two, I would definitely say go to Buknell! It is in central Pennsylvania, so on winter and spring breaks, you can visit New York City and Philadelphia. If you have enough time and/or money, you can head to boston or washington,dc. Grinnell is in Iowa, which is much further from anywhere you'd probably be interested in seeing. Check out www.princetonreview.com for information and student reviews on the different colleges.
Reply 28
Anne--I'd say go with Ucal Berkeley or San Diego.

UC San Diego is amazing...it's right on the coast of the pacific ocean and the weather is always perfect (think 24º and sunny every day). It is one of the top UCs, and it will be like you are on vacation year round!

Berkeley is also great. It's the top UC, and is right outside San Fransisco. San Fran is a great city also, very clean, cultural, good food :smile:. Lots to do!

I'd prefer San Fran and San Diego to LA any day, but that's just me! So as I said above, I would look the schools up at www.princetonreview.com.
Reply 29
UC-Berkeley is the best from that list.
Reply 30
Dur...
Reply 31
UC San Diego is not much better than Irvine- I've been to both and the weather is the same. Plus, Irvine is closer to Los Angeles/Hollywood/DisneyWorld
Reply 32
How far from LA are Berkeley and San Diego (in hours) ?
And how about Davis, Irvine, Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz? Are any of them really bad/to avoid?
Reply 33
LA traffic is horrible so I remember taking at least 3 hours to get to LAX from San Diego. Dunno about Berkley- but Irvine and Riverside are only an hour and a half from LA. Riverside is sort of underpopulated but it's the only place in the state where you can by firecrackers (not that you'd care). By the way, San Francisco weather SUCKS and the city isn't as "clean" as some people may say it is.
Reply 34
Ha, okay, thanks :smile: Well, all I've heard is that San Francisco's supposed to be really nie, but it's ridiculously overpriced to live there..
Reply 35
santa barabra is amazing... really amazing.
OMG, I'd give my right arm to go on an year out in Berkeley, if I do nothing else at university I will absolutely beg to be able to do semester or something out there. It would be just AMAZING.
ElWilson
UC-Berkeley is the best from that list.

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:
Reply 38
Lady_Muck
OMG, I'd give my right arm to go on an year out in Berkeley, if I do nothing else at university I will absolutely beg to be able to do semester or something out there. It would be just AMAZING.

If you're doing the 4 year programme American Studies and Politics, then you can :smile: I don't think it's open for students not from the AS Department... But not sure.
Anne*UK*06
How far from LA are Berkeley and San Diego (in hours) ?
And how about Davis, Irvine, Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz? Are any of them really bad/to avoid?

Berkeley is about 8 hours drive from San Diego and 6 1/2 hours to LA. Berkeley is just across the bay from San Francisco, in northern California.

Latest

Trending

Trending