The Student Room Group

Do you have to declare GCSE resits when applying to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CommonNortherner
I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subjects - I'm really impressed.
Reply 21
I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities, even Cambridge, have sensitivity towards circumstances that do not enable one to achieve their full potential, and I doubt there wasn't something hindering you seen as you've gotten amazing A levels. Don't worry about it, it's the A levels that count.
"Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE." #
"With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

From Cambridge's official website. I'm bringing Cambridge up because there's hardly a university as selective as them and Oxford, so if they take you anyone will. GCSE's importance are grossly exaggerated; relax!
Original post by Ashir
Some universities, even Cambridge, have sensitivity towards circumstances that do not enable one to achieve their full potential, and I doubt there wasn't something hindering you seen as you've gotten amazing A levels. Don't worry about it, it's the A levels that count.
"Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE." #
"With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

From Cambridge's official website. I'm bringing Cambridge up because there's hardly a university as selective as them and Oxford, so if they take you anyone will. GCSE's importance are grossly exaggerated; relax!

There is :smile:. I was a full time carer for my mum from years 7-13. Even with this though, I doubt I'd get into Cambridge :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NightStrider
Which subjects - I'm really impressed.

Biology, Economics, Health and Social, Geography, EPQ :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is :smile:. I was a full time carer for my mum from years 7-13. Even with this though, I doubt I'd get into Cambridge :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caribbeantwist
Say for instance I did my English language exam in 2011 in my first gcse year then chose to retake it in my second gcse year do I have to put that down??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm exactly in the same situation. How did you declare?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending