The Student Room Group

What's wrong with my face?

So for about 4-5 weeks now I've had this pinkish rash looking thing on my cheeks. It looks kind of irritated, but I can't think of anything at all that could be irritating it. Sometimes it goes kind of bumpy and looks like lots of little pink spots (but not like acne).
Yesterday I went to the pharmacist about it and she said it looked like it could possibly be rosacea, so I should go to my doctor. The doctor I saw was absolutely useless - he had no clue, just told me that it wasn't rosacea and was 'a rash that hasn't presented itself yet' (basically he didn't know) and just told me to put E45 cream on it.
Its really getting to me because it looks horrible and doesn't even cover properly with make up. The only thing I can think it possibly could be is I started on the pill about 3 months, but I don't think the pill can cause a rash. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be or how to get rid of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it dry? Sounds a lot like Psoriasis to me. Go back to your GP and get some prescribed Dermol cream. Works a treat, although it is very greasy. Also, if it spreads to your scalp, buy some Polytar. Very effective but stinks. You get used to the smell though!
Reply 2
Sometimes allergic reactions present like this. Have you tried antihistamine cream?
Reply 3
Thanks for your suggestions. I've looked up psoriasis and I don't think it looks quite right, it's only very slightly dry. I've been putting hydrocortisone on it, I think that's an antihistamine? I've been using that for a couple of days and haven't noticed any difference really yet :s-smilie:
Reply 4
The pill can cause really random side effects, which could include a rash, since it interferes with your hormones. You can maybe ask to switch to a different pill. Also, you should try avoid wearing makeup because if it is an infection then this will create the perfect breeding ground and can spread it. Vitamin D from the sun is a miracle for your skin, so try and soak up some rays (but be careful not to get sun burn) and make sure you eat carrots (vitamin D only works if you have enough vitamin A). Still... find a better doctor!
Reply 5
Original post by Scotty Bear
The pill can cause really random side effects, which could include a rash, since it interferes with your hormones. You can maybe ask to switch to a different pill. Also, you should try avoid wearing makeup because if it is an infection then this will create the perfect breeding ground and can spread it. Vitamin D from the sun is a miracle for your skin, so try and soak up some rays (but be careful not to get sun burn) and make sure you eat carrots (vitamin D only works if you have enough vitamin A). Still... find a better doctor!

Thanks :smile: when I go for my pill check up ill mention it :smile:
You shouldn't put hydrocortisone on your face. Its a steroid cream and will thin the skin.
Go and see a different doctor
Reply 7
Original post by SpottedZebra
So for about 4-5 weeks now I've had this pinkish rash looking thing on my cheeks. It looks kind of irritated, but I can't think of anything at all that could be irritating it. Sometimes it goes kind of bumpy and looks like lots of little pink spots (but not like acne).
Yesterday I went to the pharmacist about it and she said it looked like it could possibly be rosacea, so I should go to my doctor. The doctor I saw was absolutely useless - he had no clue, just told me that it wasn't rosacea and was 'a rash that hasn't presented itself yet' (basically he didn't know) and just told me to put E45 cream on it.
Its really getting to me because it looks horrible and doesn't even cover properly with make up. The only thing I can think it possibly could be is I started on the pill about 3 months, but I don't think the pill can cause a rash. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be or how to get rid of it?

This sounds very similar to something I've had twice recently. Pink-ish, bumpy skin on my cheeks - although I also had a few small dry patches. Like you, I struggled to cover it with makeup and it really got me down after a while!

I tried everything I could think of - Sudocrem, Coconut Oil, a ton of different moisturisers, vitamin E oil, avoided makeup up.... Nothing worked. Eventually I used double base gel (15%) which I think you can get in Boots and similar stores. The first time around, it literally cleared up overnight which was amazing, the second time around it took a few days.

I still don't know what it was, but I think it might have something to do with the cold weather and central heating having an effect on my skin?... That is just a guess though! :dontknow:

Quick tip for using makeup over the area...
If you're struggling to cover it up: wash your face, then use a gentle exfoliating cream, quite lightly. Rinse. Use a moisturiser which will absorb quickly (I like the Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture-Locking one, but any similar product will do the job). Then apply a primer (Porefessional is amazing but a tad pricey, there are lots of cheaper alternatives). These steps help to smooth the skin to make it MUCH easier to apply make up to cover up the area. :smile:

Hope this helps!
:wavey:
Reply 8
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
You shouldn't put hydrocortisone on your face. Its a steroid cream and will thin the skin.
Go and see a different doctor

Seriously? I can't believe he's advised me to do that if you shouldn't put it on your face....wondering if I should make a complaint now :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by emilie18
This sounds very similar to something I've had twice recently. Pink-ish, bumpy skin on my cheeks - although I also had a few small dry patches. Like you, I struggled to cover it with makeup and it really got me down after a while!

I tried everything I could think of - Sudocrem, Coconut Oil, a ton of different moisturisers, vitamin E oil, avoided makeup up.... Nothing worked. Eventually I used double base gel (15%) which I think you can get in Boots and similar stores. The first time around, it literally cleared up overnight which was amazing, the second time around it took a few days.

I still don't know what it was, but I think it might have something to do with the cold weather and central heating having an effect on my skin?... That is just a guess though! :dontknow:

Quick tip for using makeup over the area...
If you're struggling to cover it up: wash your face, then use a gentle exfoliating cream, quite lightly. Rinse. Use a moisturiser which will absorb quickly (I like the Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture-Locking one, but any similar product will do the job). Then apply a primer (Porefessional is amazing but a tad pricey, there are lots of cheaper alternatives). These steps help to smooth the skin to make it MUCH easier to apply make up to cover up the area. :smile:

Hope this helps!
:wavey:

wow thanks! :smile: I will definitely try that gel...fingers crossed for it working :smile:
Seriously? I can't believe he's advised me to do that if you shouldn't put it on your face....wondering if I should make a complaint now :s-smilie:

There are some weaker topical steroids that can be used on the face. What's the percentage on the packaging?

Also, steroids take a few days to work, so you won't notice an immediate difference.
Thanks for your suggestions. I've looked up psoriasis and I don't think it looks quite right, it's only very slightly dry. I've been putting hydrocortisone on it, I think that's an antihistamine? I've been using that for a couple of days and haven't noticed any difference really yet :s-smilie:

Definitely agree with not putting hydrocortisone on your face. See another doctor. Even pharmacists won't sell you hydrocortisone if they know you're going to put it on your face. I think if it's 1% or more then you can't use it for face.

Have you tried insect bite cream? That has anti histamine in it.
Reply 12
Sounds perhaps like mild rosacea, my mother suffers with it but you can keep it under control with a strict skin care regime using prescribed products and some antibiotics. Honestly, even before my mother had it under control it would often appear and disappear so much that it took a while to get the diagnosis.
Reply 13
wow thanks! :smile: I will definitely try that gel...fingers crossed for it working :smile:

I get this too, I get it on my forehead too and my neck (ew) these are my recommendations - use shampoo/conditioner/hairspray etc for sensitive skin and when you rinse it out don't pour it over your face (if that makes sense) make it go down your back... having an itchy back is much easier than having an itchy face. Dove is a good hair product brand to use for those with bad skin :smile:
Don't spray perfume on yourself, spray it on your clothes (it's the only way I can wear it :frown: ) and only use ultra clean fingers before you put on facecream, if mine arent washed right before the dirt transfers to my face and I just break out :frown:

Double base is amazing, as is Aveeno and Kalme (google it :smile: ) don't use sudocrem or e45 as you may be allergic to lanolin, which it sounds like you are as you're having the same problems I do!

Do you have any other symptoms or suffer any other medical problems at all? Joint pains? Sometimes rashes across the cheeks can be related to other medical stuff, but may not be anything significant at all. If what you've tried doesn't help, go back to the doctor and perhaps you may need to see a dermatologist.

Read the leaflet that came with the cream, it will say the same.

You said the doctor told you to put E45 on it... "E45 cream" isn't hydrocortisone, though E45 brand do do a hydrocortisone cream
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Mushi_master
Do you have any other symptoms or suffer any other medical problems at all? Joint pains? Sometimes rashes across the cheeks can be related to other medical stuff, but may not be anything significant at all. If what you've tried doesn't help, go back to the doctor and perhaps you may need to see a dermatologist.

No i don't have any other symptoms at all really....the only thing I can think of is I have always had skin which is very sensitive to things and have been prone to things irritating me :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Read the leaflet that came with the cream, it will say the same.

You said the doctor told you to put E45 on it... "E45 cream" isn't hydrocortisone, though E45 brand do do a hydrocortisone cream

The doctor told me to put 2 creams on it....one was the general E45 lotion and the other was a 1% hydrocortisone cream....yesterday when I put the hydrocortisone on a felt a burning on my face where i'd applied it and then an hour or so later the rashy area had become even more inflamed and more red. Do you think this is coincidence or down to the cream?

Im going to try and make an appointment with another doctor anyway :smile:
The doctor told me to put 2 creams on it....one was the general E45 lotion and the other was a 1% hydrocortisone cream....yesterday when I put the hydrocortisone on a felt a burning on my face where i'd applied it and then an hour or so later the rashy area had become even more inflamed and more red. Do you think this is coincidence or down to the cream?

Im going to try and make an appointment with another doctor anyway :smile:

Probably due to the cream... Its usually anti inflammatory, but since it shouldn't be applied to the face and thins the already delicate skin it could very easily cause more irritation and damage than good.

Stop using the hydrocortisone
Reply 19
Probably due to the cream... Its usually anti inflammatory, but since it shouldn't be applied to the face and thins the already delicate skin it could very easily cause more irritation and damage than good.

Stop using the hydrocortisone

Thanks for your help, i will do :smile:
will be seeing another doctor tomorrow so hopefully they can help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest