The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I am thinking about apply to study Geography , any other geographers out there ?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Luketreherne
Hi

I am thinking about apply to study Geography , any other geographers out there ?

Hey,
I'm applying for geography too. I was set on choosing bsc geography but the chance to study at LSE makes it just as appealing.
Where else are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by abhiksetia
Haha mine is pretty boring compared to most people's tours of the world etc, but I'm pretty exciting about having a proper job in a field I'm quite interested in. Will be weird entering uni nearing 20 though.

I've started working through some STEP stuff myself, its hard but really interesting. I'm considering sitting STEP 1 and 2 to ensure I won't slack off on the academic front to help keep me focused.
I'm assuming you're considering Oxford as well then, given MAT preparations?

Where will you be working?

No - I'm applying to Cambridge. I'm also applying to Imperial, who have started asking for the MAT - hence the MAT preparation :tongue:
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
I'm planning to apply for Bsc Actuarial Science. Anyone else applying for Act Sci?...

Sent from my iPhone

Here!!

What As results you get? and have you finished your PS yet?
Reply 184
Is it worth me applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics. I did Maths (A), Physics (A) , Economics (C-messed up one exam) , Biology(B- dropping it). Im also doing extended project, and Further Maths AS in Year 13.
Would I get rejected becuase of the C in Economics, and the fact that i haven't got Further Maths A2. I want to do Maths but LSE caught my eye as it is in London and I like Economics.

I also got 3A*, 7A, 1B at GCSE.
Reply 185
Original post by popo
Is it worth me applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics. I did Maths (A), Physics (A) , Economics (C-messed up one exam) , Biology(B- dropping it). Im also doing extended project, and Further Maths AS in Year 13.
Would I get rejected becuase of the C in Economics, and the fact that i haven't got Further Maths A2. I want to do Maths but LSE caught my eye as it is in London and I like Economics.

I also got 3A*, 7A, 1B at GCSE.

To be frank, it's very competitive and your grades are below par. I guess it's not impossible, but you'd need to have an amazing PS.
Reply 186
Original post by CD315
To be frank, it's very competitive and your grades are below par. I guess it's not impossible, but you'd need to have an amazing PS.

Yeah i know i think about 350 people apply and there are only 35-40 places, and i guess those 35 people are the best of the best. But i dont know if i should risk it. I want to apply for maths everywhere else, but im contemplating maths with econ at lse.
Reply 187
Original post by popo
Yeah i know i think about 350 people apply and there are only 35-40 places, and i guess those 35 people are the best of the best. But i dont know if i should risk it. I want to apply for maths everywhere else, but im contemplating maths with econ at lse.

If you like the look of LSE, I think you should apply. Although it's competitive, just concentrate on what you can do which is to make a great PS. Also get predicted A*AA, with A* in maths.
Original post by CD315
Where will you be working?

No - I'm applying to Cambridge. I'm also applying to Imperial, who have started asking for the MAT - hence the MAT preparation :tongue:

Ah nice! Was kind of a dream of mine to apply to Cambridge. My string of B's at GCSE kind of killed that though :colondollar:.

I'm working at this Steel and Iron Ore producing/trading firm where I've interned before. I was in the logistics department previously but am now working in accounts which is pretty interesting.
Reply 189
Original post by abhiksetia
Ah nice! Was kind of a dream of mine to apply to Cambridge. My string of B's at GCSE kind of killed that though :colondollar:.

I'm working at this Steel and Iron Ore producing/trading firm where I've interned before. I was in the logistics department previously but am now working in accounts which is pretty interesting.

Sounds awesome :biggrin:
GCSE 2010: 1A* 7A 2B 1D (d in French)
AS 2011 A in R.S E in English Lit E in Economics
A2 2012 A in R.S (A2)
AS 2013 A in English Lit + Lang A in History A in Politics
A2 2014 Predicted grades A* History A* Politics A English

How do my GCSE's look for LSE ?

And just how bad will the fact I started a levels again appear ?

I had extenuating circumstances in 2011.

Please be blunt, do you think with a good p.statement and references I have a chance ?

edit;.going for law btw
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 191
AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)
First Language English IGCSE A With Grade 1(ONE) in Speaking & Listening (81)

Predicted Results :
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*

How about her chance to apply for LSE's Economics if her PS is perfect.
Note:My daughter is from China as a international applicant.
Thanks for your advice.
I want to do Economics at LSE.
I got 5A*s,6A's and 1 B at GCSE.

I got ADDD at AS, changing subject now and I am going in Year 13.

I will have to retake 4 exams to get good grades, but if I got A* in maths,fm,chemistry and an A in Biology AS would I have a chance?

Also do LSE only care about final grades or do they care more about AS,GCSE,extrac curic. etc.

Oh and I am taking a gap year.

Thanks
Applying for History at LSE for 2014/15 entry

GCSE's: 2A*6A 3B 1C
AS Levels: AAAE in English Literature, French, History and Maths respectively.
Overall % gained so far..:
History: 95%
English Literature:91%
French: 81%
Averaging 89% overall.

I did resit Year 12, however I have long term extenuating circumstances reaching back to Year 9 that are still affecting current study.

Who else is thinking of applying for History? Good luck everyone! :groovy::woo:
Reply 194
Original post by Destiel <3
I want to do Economics at LSE.
I got 5A*s,6A's and 1 B at GCSE.

I got ADDD at AS, changing subject now and I am going in Year 13.

I will have to retake 4 exams to get good grades, but if I got A* in maths,fm,chemistry and an A in Biology AS would I have a chance?

Also do LSE only care about final grades or do they care more about AS,GCSE,extrac curic. etc.

Oh and I am taking a gap year.

Thanks

If you got A* in maths, further maths, chamistry and biology AS at A then you will definetely have a chance. You'll have to work hard to achieve that as all your exams will be in one sitting.

They look at everything including GCSE's and AS, my advise would be to concentrate hard on your exams and get good A levels and then apply to LSE in your gap year. If you overall A levels are good, then you don't need to show what you got at AS initially and so that'll work in your favour
Original post by slayer12
If you got A* in maths, further maths, chamistry and biology AS at A then you will definetely have a chance. You'll have to work hard to achieve that as all your exams will be in one sitting.

They look at everything including GCSE's and AS, my advise would be to concentrate hard on your exams and get good A levels and then apply to LSE in your gap year. If you overall A levels are good, then you don't need to show what you got at AS initially and so that'll work in your favour

thank you very helpful advice and you have motivated me to do well :smile:
Reply 196
Does anyone study history in lse, Do you think if its a competitive/oversubscribed course. Do i have any chance with ABBB ( two Bs 79%) and mitigating circumstances as well as being an overseas student (living in UK).
I'm thinking of applying for Maths with Economics, my GCSEs were 7A*'s, 3A's. AS grades were 4A's in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemsitry. Predcited grades 4A*'s/3A*'s 1A. I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement and was just wondering what they look for other than grades? Is anyone else applying for Maths and economics and what were your grades?
Reply 198
Original post by kingmango
I'm thinking of applying for Maths with Economics, my GCSEs were 7A*'s, 3A's. AS grades were 4A's in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemsitry. Predcited grades 4A*'s/3A*'s 1A. I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement and was just wondering what they look for other than grades? Is anyone else applying for Maths and economics and what were your grades?

I applied last year for Maths with Economics and got rejected - I think it was down to my GCSEs and personal statement. I'm also reapplying this year for the same course :lol:

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 2B
AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics) - I also included my UMS which averaged at 98%.
A2 (what I was predicted when I applied, and what I then went on to achieve) : A*A*A*A*

As you can see, the only downfall was my slightly below par GCSEs and, in my opinion, an average PS. Hopefully they take me this year :tongue:
Original post by CD315
I applied last year for Maths with Economics and got rejected - I think it was down to my GCSEs and personal statement. I'm also reapplying this year for the same course :lol:

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 2B
AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics) - I also included my UMS which averaged at 98%.
A2 (what I was predicted when I applied, and what I then went on to achieve) : A*A*A*A*

As you can see, the only downfall was my slightly below par GCSEs and, in my opinion, an average PS. Hopefully they take me this year :tongue:

Lol I'm pretty much lined up for rejection then. To be honest I don't even want to go to LSE my parents are just forcing me to apply :s-smilie:. What I don't understand is how can they reject someone with near perfect grades bar GCSEs. I've also been told personal statement doesn't have that much of a significant compared to results/predicted. I've also read they have a tight quota meaning 50% girls/boys so if there's more boys applying then they level it down to 50/50, which I think is bs.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending