for which course was this, yxcai?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1581
Got rejected for IR! Didn't have strong enough PS
Reply 1582
Original post by thinkthings
Ooh. Were you at the end of your 5-week period?

4-week
Omfg this wave of rejections is freaking me out...
Reply 1584
Original post by rysa12
for which course was this, yxcai?

business mathematics and statistic
Original post by yxcai
I am pleased to tell you that, following a thorough assessment of your application, our Admissions Selector has decided that your application is among the strongest in this admissions cycle.

When assessing a high calibre application such as yours, we need a little more time to assess you against other candidates in your cohort. This can take up to four weeks, and we will have a final decision on your application as soon as possible.

Congratulations ! Not them making up another deadline though ... I was sure 5 weeks is the final one.
Rejected from LSE... but for all the wrong reasons.

Apparently AP Economics doesn't count as one of my 5 'relevant' subjects needed for consideration. Consideration for which course you might ask?

L101 Economics.

This has to be the biggest line of bull**** I've ever come across in any university's admissions process:

"your application was unsuccessful because your current qualifications are insufficient for consideration for entry to LSE. As competition for places at LSE is so intense, we are unable to make offers to anyone who does not satisfy our minimum entry requirements."

I did 12 ****ing APs, scored a perfect SAT and perfect subject tests and why do I get rejected? Because I didn't study an AP language, biology or chemistry. No, instead I did statistics, economics, and psychology, which are all less relevant to my application to study economics at university.

(anyone confused about my jibes of 'relevance' can refer to this for a list of relevant AP subjects http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx)

You've gotta be kidding, LSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by defeatedmac

Apparently AP Economics doesn't count as one of my 5 'relevant' subjects needed for consideration. Consideration for which course you might ask?

L101 Economics.

This has to be the biggest line of bull**** I've ever come across in any university's admissions process:

"your application was unsuccessful because your current qualifications are insufficient for consideration for entry to LSE. As competition for places at LSE is so intense, we are unable to make offers to anyone who does not satisfy our minimum entry requirements."

I did 12 ****ing APs, scored a perfect SAT and perfect subject tests and why do I get rejected? Because I didn't study an AP language, biology or chemistry. No, instead I did statistics, economics, and psychology, which are all less relevant to my application to study economics at university.

That's bad luck but surely you would have read the entry requirements before applying to the course esp for econ which is one of the hardest courses to get into in the country?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sun_Bear
That's bad luck but surely you would have read the entry requirements before applying to the course?

I did. I called them up and they told me over the phone that, "Why on earth would economics not be considered relevant to your application? *chuckle*"

And either way, the university has Economics in it's bloody name... you'd think they'd consider it a relevant subject to study there

:facepalm:
(edited 10 years ago)
I did. I called them up and they told me over the phone that, "Why on earth would economics not be considered relevant to your application? *chuckle*"

And either way, the university has Economics in it's bloody name... you'd think they'd consider it a relevant subject to study there

:facepalm:

I dunno, i'm an english student so have no idea about what APs even are. All i know is that on the lse page u linked there was no economics, statistics or psychology under relevant subjects.
I dunno, i'm an english student so have no idea about what APs even are. All i know is that on the lse page u linked there was no economics, statistics or psychology under relevant subjects.

APs are just the US equivalent of A-levels, except theres no limit to how many we can take. generally people graduate with 5. I graduated with 12 (or 10 depending on how you add up exams). I know it's written there, but if I call you and you tell me I should be fine, and logic agrees with me, I'm going to mightily pissed if you tell me I'm in any way under qualified.
APs are just the US equivalent of A-levels, except theres no limit to how many we can take. generally people graduate with 5. I graduated with 12 (or 10 depending on how you add up exams). I know it's written there, but if I call you and you tell me I should be fine, and logic agrees with me, I'm going to mightily pissed if you tell me I'm in any way under qualified.

I'm not telling you that you're under qualified as you are way more qualified than i am. I am just saying how economics at LSE is one of the hardest courses to get into in the UK and they are looking for any excuse to reject you as there are so many applicants of high calibre to choose from.

What were your scores? You mention how many APs you took, but did you get 5s on most if not all of them? That would definitely make a huge difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

L101 Economics.

(anyone confused about my jibes of 'relevance' can refer to this for a list of relevant AP subjects http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx)

Must be the same reason why they would ask for Maths rather than the actual Economics A-Level.
I'm not telling you that you're under qualified as you are way more qualified than i am. I am just saying how economics at LSE is one of the hardest courses to get into in the UK and they are looking for any excuse to reject you as there are so many applicants of high calibre to choose from.

fair point, guess it makes sense.

But still fills me with so much rage at the injustice.

edit: just clarifying, not pissed at you or anyone else on this thread. just LSE as an institution.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tlunn223
What were your scores? You mention how many APs you took, but did you get 5s on most if not all of them? That would definitely make a huge difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, 5's on all of them. Damn near flawless application I'd say, at least from a scores perspective.
Original post by simonecharles
I was actually pseudo-rejected first, so I don`t think I went through the conventional process. I have mitigation and they immediately rejected me before reading about it because I don`t meet the entry requirements (A*AB predicted). They pretty miraculously changed application status on UCAS track last Friday, two weeks after my initial rejection. I had to call up to find out if it was real! :smile:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :smile: It's so refreshing to see a not-so 'typical' applicant that does not have 5 A* predictions be given an offer of a place for Law at LSE. I've also applied to LSE for Law and have a way poorer academic record than many who have/are applying, so your success has renewed a bit of hope that I stand (at the very least!) some chance of being accepted; fingers crossed!

I also have mitigating circumstances that my referee has briefly explained on my reference, but was wondering whether there is a separate, institution specific, LSE mitigating/extenuating circumstances form that my referee could submit on my behalf?

If possible, would I be able to PM you? I don't want to derail this thread.

Again, many congratulations, and I hope you have an amazing time ad a fresher come September/October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

L101 Economics.

You also did Psychology and Stats, which are not on the "relevant" section.

If out of the 12 AP subjects you did, the university didn't think some were relevant, coupled by other factors beyond your control (intense competition from excellent candidates), it's not really that surprising.
Original post by arrowhead
You also did Psychology and Stats, which are not on the "relevant" section.

If out of the 12 AP subjects you did, the university didn't think some were relevant, coupled by other factors beyond your control (intense competition from excellent candidates), it's not really that surprising.

I really don't think relevance should be determined by a generic list to cover ever single course the university has. Then you get situations like this.. where economics and statistics are less relevant to my application than biology.
Original post by Donniee
Just got a rejection 5 weeks and a day after the 5 week email. Supposedly due to my personal statement but it seems like a template email.

Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that. What were your GCSEs, AS and A2 predictions? Also did they ask for a UMS questionnaire to be filled out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending