The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bakalizo
hey.. everyone in my school got ethyl ethanoate.. are you sure its methyl ethanoate? and in the test for the dichromate thing.. i didnt write down in the inference that it shows that the alcohol is pimary or secodary.. i just wrote that it confirms that it is an alcohol.. and oxidation tookplace.. will i lose a mark for this? :confused:

If your talking about group 1, I think it was ethyl ethanoate (b.p. 77), and with respect to the dichromate thing, I think you would lose some marks because you already identified alcohol in the esterification test. Hope you did well overall.
Reply 101
Aburumman
If your talking about group 1, I think it was methyl ethanoate (b.p. 77)

Group 1 was ethyl ethanoate (bp. 77)
Reply 102
Bakalizo
hey.. everyone in my school got ethyl ethanoate.. are you sure its methyl ethanoate?

If you were group 1: this is correct :smile: Not too sure about group 2

Bakalizo
and in the test for the dichromate thing.. i didnt write down in the inference that it shows that the alcohol is pimary or secodary.. i just wrote that it confirms that it is an alcohol.. and oxidation tookplace.. will i lose a mark for this? :confused:

You will probably lose a mark because it said what more can you find out about the compound (or something like that)
Reply 103
well no im group 2 :frown: that's weird though cuz the range of temperatures was 75-78 :frown: anywayy i hope everyone did well and thanx i found a lot of help in here :smile: take care and good luck with the rest of the exams
ArVi
Group 1 was ethyl ethanoate (bp. 77)

Sorry, you're right. I just forgot the answer of that question.
Group 3- The easiest practical I have ever seen.

Very similar to the other groups...We got NiSO4, KI, Propanal and ethanol....For the boiling temp. we got the same as GP1, ethyl ethanoate.
The planning question was slightly different to the other two...but quite easy.
We were asked to identify aqueous solutions of Na2CO3, MgSO4, H2SO4, HCl....given only BaCl2.

It was probably slightly easier than our AS exam last year(which wasn't bad at all). I just hope the rest of the Chem. papers are this easy.
mizfissy815
I just hope the rest of the Chem. papers are this easy.

Same here, they do seem to be getting easier- like that unit 1 and 2 in January
But I dare say u can expect a pretty hard Synoptic (Unit 6B) paper following such an easy practical...
But I dare say u can expect a pretty hard Synoptic (Unit 6B) paper following such an easy practical...

Not necessarily…Our AS practical last year was hardly the definition of hard (yes, even with the double titration, us GP3 ended up with) and the 3B paper, in my honest opinion, was the easiest exam I had sat at AS level (maybe even easier than last years AS edexcel math papers).
mizfissy815
Not necessarily…Our AS practical last year was hardly the definition of hard (yes, even with the double titration, us GP3 ended up with) and the 3B paper, in my honest opinion, was the easiest exam I had sat at AS level (maybe even easier than last years AS edexcel math papers).

I dont know but I sense danger in the synoptic. I think they'll bury us alive!!!
Reply 110
mizfissy815
Group 3- The easiest practical I have ever seen.

Very similar to the other groups...We got NiSO4, KI, Propanal and ethanol....For the boiling temp. we got the same as GP1, ethyl ethanoate.
The planning question was slightly different to the other two...but quite easy.
We were asked to identify aqueous solutions of Na2CO3, MgSO4, H2SO4, HCl....given only BaCl2.

It was probably slightly easier than our AS exam last year(which wasn't bad at all). I just hope the rest of the Chem. papers are this easy.

Yea.. I got the same things as you did. It was pretty easy and direct.
Hope the other papers will be as good as this//
matzzz_88
Yea.. I got the same things as you did. It was pretty easy and direct.
Hope the other papers will be as good as this//

We all hope for that!!!:confused:
Final Numbers:
Very Good (A) 35 59.32%
Good (B) 11 18.64%
Average (C or D) 4 6.78%
Bad (E) 2 3.39%
Fail (F) 7 11.86%

Latest