The Student Room Group

Is there such thing as an easy A-level subject???

I am a mature student and already have 2 A-levels in German and Spanish, however when it comes to choosing a third I am quite open to what I do as my main interest is foreign languages. Does anyone ave any tips or bits of advice they would like to share? Any information would be gratefully accepted :smile:

thanks in advance peeps :smile:

ps: ideally without coursework, as I'd be able study at home abroad (Germany) and fly over to take the exam :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks Lisa, may I ask why you recommend Sociology? Is there a reason for that? Once again thanks a lot x
Reply 2
Thanks Lisa. So anyone else got any ideas? Would love to hear :smile:
Reply 3
I was going to say Sociology too :smile: but as for easy A-level I think it depends on everyone because what one person might find extremely easy another might find very hard for example Psychology some say is easy. I wouldn't really say that Psychology is an easy subject compared to other traditional subjects such as Maths and English it may be easier however in terms of content and the amount you need to remember it can be quite hard. So basically it really depends on the individual and I don't really think there is that much of a thing as an easy A-level.
Environmental studies, media, general studies, film studies, use of maths....
Reply 5
Original post by Leeboi83
I am a mature student and already have 2 A-levels in German and Spanish, however when it comes to choosing a third I am quite open to what I do as my main interest is foreign languages. Does anyone ave any tips or bits of advice they would like to share? Any information would be gratefully accepted :smile:

thanks in advance peeps :smile:

ps: ideally without coursework, as I'd be able study at home abroad (Germany) and fly over to take the exam :smile:

If you like languages I would recommend English Language. I find it really interesting, especially as I also have an interest in languages and studying the construction of language can give you a great insight into all the cultural matters and arguments surrounding language. It would really compliment your current A Levels :smile:

Edit: its also relatively straightforward but has essays. Its not really hardcore but not as soft as sociology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Psychology is easy and English is if you enjoy languages. But English has coursework entailed. Sociology is easy (So far).
Reply 7
Absolutely not - no A level is considered "easy" as they are all vary in difficulty to some extent.

However, some may disagree with me and argue that some subjects, especially the newly introduced ones i.e. Sociology, economics, history of art etc. are less academic than the traditional subjects i.e. maths, English literature, Bio/Chem/Physics, modern foreign languages etc. Universities do regard some subjects as less rigorous than others.

Subjects that can be viewed as ‘facilitating subjects’: Maths and further maths; Physics; Biology; Chemistry; History; Geography; Modern and classical languages; English Literature.
You will probably have many other subjects open to you at advanced level but, unlike the facilitating subjects listed above, they are unlikely to be required for any particular degree course and so choosing them doesn’t increase your options at university.

More information can be found from the link below:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/faqs.aspx

Hope I helped :smile:

PF
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you guys and gals, you certainly have given me food for thought and some good tips for my final choice of A-level :smile: Just to clear it up, I am under no false illusion that there is such a thing as an "easy A-level", I just wanted to hear peoples ideas and what among all A-level subjects was considered easier than the average :smile:

any more ideas out there or are we more or less agreed that the examples above are as easy as it gets?
Reply 9
A-level maths has got to be a contender for the easiest A-level out there. I was literally laughing my way through the C4 exam.
Original post by Venomilys
A-level maths has got to be a contender for the easiest A-level out there. I was literally laughing my way through the C4 exam.

Liking your sarcasm! :smile:
It depends if you mean A-Level subject, or 'get an A-Level at the end of the subject'. I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics - but as a fourth subject I do a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management, as I an't to go into veterinary. Obviously not all colleges offer this, but if yours does then go for it. There are no exams, only basic ( and I mean VERY basic ) assignments to do and you have several weeks, plus google to complete each one, and if you're stuck you can ask for help. It's less to do than my Geography GCSE - but it's worth an A-Level, and I get some really valuable work experience with a huge range of animals doing it ( my favourites are the Armadillos! ). That said, most of my group do it just because it can be fun and its an easy A ( I have about and 50% attendance to these lessons and I'm currently on Distinction grade, which is equivalent to A-Level grade A ).
Reply 12
Original post by lankan-gurl
I was going to say Sociology too :smile: but as for easy A-level I think it depends on everyone because what one person might find extremely easy another might find very hard for example Psychology some say is easy. I wouldn't really say that Psychology is an easy subject compared to other traditional subjects such as Maths and English it may be easier however in terms of content and the amount you need to remember it can be quite hard. So basically it really depends on the individual and I don't really think there is that much of a thing as an easy A-level.

English is hard mostly because of the exam boards expectations I wrote a quality piece of coursework that is gonna get a low b just because it sounds like a university piece and not like the work of an a level student.

Crazy stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Well we all find things easy or difficult. It depends. I find Health and Social stupidly easy, and Geography is pretty easy too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly.briggs
Liking your sarcasm! :smile:

I was being serious... it isn't as hard as people generally make out. It's difficult for me to think of why people struggle with it.
I was being serious... it isn't as hard as people generally make out. It's difficult for me to think of why people struggle with it.

Seriously?
Reply 16

Interesting. What do you do now?
Reply 17
Depends on your strengths in terms of academics. Personally i find Economics AS pretty straight forward, after realizing and learning key situations like 'Increase exchange rate' though i know a bunch have dropped it already in my year.
I guess in terms of 'easy' prescriptive is the main thing since essays can be interpreted very differently and hence grades (English lit i heard is pretty insane at this). Maths is a good a level and the main thing is practising questions if your good at it, like wise subjects like English Language may help a tinsy bit with your degree, but generally pick something your good at / enjoy!
Chemistry is a wonderful subject, or so I say because of my passion for it. But whether an A level is easy is completely subjective. History would be a complementary choice for Spanish and German but it entails a coursework element when doing A2 :smile:.
A boy in my year gets straight As in Maths but gets C/D in Business. Difficulty is relative.

Quick Reply

Latest