The Student Room Group

In GCSE Core Science, can you get two grades?

Hi, I would like to know if you can get two science grades in core science. Say if I got a B in core science and I did additanal science in year 11 would I get two grades. I am not doing BTEC. (so if I did core and additional science would I get two grades).

Thanks to who contributes :smile:.
Original post by Waqazy
Hi, I would like to know if you can get two science grades in core science. Say if I got a B in core science and I did additanal science in year 11 would I get two grades. I am not doing BTEC. (so if I did core and additional science would I get two grades).

Thanks to who contributes :smile:.

Yeah you would get two grades, one for core science, and one for additional, theyre two seperate qualifications and they're independent of each other! I'm in the same boat haha
Reply 2
Original post by zintanax
Yeah you would get two grades, one for core science, and one for additional, theyre two seperate qualifications and they're independent of each other! I'm in the same boat haha

Is this the new 'Double' award GCSE? Is this the standard ones most people all do?

I actually complained to my sisters school to move her from the BTEC to the GCSE because the BTEC isn't very helpful if you want to continue doing sciences at alevel or degree. The school weren't very informative and I actually worry half the parents in the school have no idea what the consequences of BTEC are.

When I did my GCSE's about 6 years ago (god I feel old)
We could either do single, double or triple science.
I did double and got two grades.
When we write those in university applications we used to say 'Double Award Science: BB'

I'm guessing you would say 'Core Science: B, Additional Science: B'
Original post by Luxray
Is this the new 'Double' award GCSE? Is this the standard ones most people all do?

I actually complained to my sisters school to move her from the BTEC to the GCSE because the BTEC isn't very helpful if you want to continue doing sciences at alevel or degree. The school weren't very informative and I actually worry half the parents in the school have no idea what the consequences of BTEC are.

When I did my GCSE's about 6 years ago (god I feel old)
We could either do single, double or triple science.
I did double and got two grades.
When we write those in university applications we used to say 'Double Award Science: BB'

I'm guessing you would say 'Core Science: B, Additional Science: B'

Yes you're right :smile:

Triple Science is just:
Biology - B
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*

Single is:
Core Science - B

Double:
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A*

Quick Reply