The Student Room Group

I pick things up then I put them down..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by areebmazhar
And nice squat/DL numbers you're progressing nicely!

They're 'okay.' I was squatting 95kg early July and still haven't progressed. Stupid injuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
They're 'okay.' I was squatting 95kg early July and still haven't progressed. Stupid injuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you high-bar squat?
Do you high-bar squat?

Below the pointy bone is low bar right?
Below the pointy bone is low bar right?

Yeah that's it. You lean a lot more forward as well I think. I was doing low-bar at first but it felt really uncomfortable so switched to high-bar..
My bench and OHP just do not increase well (maybe due to a high arm to torso length ratio?), 47kg still felt a little heavy and I knew for sure I couldn't get 3x5 50kg so just didn't attempt it. For BP and OHP I keep the same weight twice in a row, although now that you've mentioned it do you think this will make all my lifts really disproportionate or something?

Tbh i used to do have that with my bench but even if i thought i wouldn't get 3*5 at the higher weight like 50 i would go for the first set of 5 anyway.

Then you get a new 5RM. Then maybe 3,2 on the next 2 sets and then on your second workout at 50 you'll probably get all 3 sets as opposed to it being your first attempt after 2 goes at 47.5 which wont help that much...
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh i used to do have that with my bench but even if i thought i wouldn't get 3*5 at the higher weight like 50 i would go for the first set of 5 anyway.

Then you get a new 5RM. Then maybe 3,2 on the next 2 sets and then on your second workout at 50 you'll probably get all 3 sets as opposed to it being your first attempt after 2 goes at 47.5 which wont help that much...

Thanks for the advice, that actually sounds much better, going to try this from now on.
Thanks for the advice, that actually sounds much better, going to try this from now on.

No worries. Don't forget a lot of people on here(including me) started off very weak at the start and have gone through all the same things you have...

My first bench session was 30kg i think...:colondollar:
We cleary have very different meanings of the word bar.
No worries. Don't forget a lot of people on here(including me) started off very weak at the start and have gone through all the same things you have...

My first bench session was 30kg i think...:colondollar:

Wow really? Good to know I'm not just genetically weak or something!
Front Squats
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
52kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
32kg 5 4 3
Really happy with this, been scared of increasing from 30kg for a long time so just need to work on getting 3x5 now.

DL
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
82kg 1x5
Felt much easier with hook grip instead of double-overhand!

Extremely happy with todays progress.
Reply 50

Well to be frank, we are genetically weak; we coming from another guy who had to suck it up and start with very low weights. I don't know what the average untrained guy starts out benching but I would guess that it would be around bodyweight for at least one rep.

It kind of sucks that I have to put serious effort just to work up to an average untrained standard but at the end of the day - it is about improving yourself so as long as you are progressing your own lifts and improving then that is all that matters.
Original post by Mark85
Well to be frank, we are genetically weak; we coming from another guy who had to suck it up and start with very low weights. I don't know what the average untrained guy starts out benching but I would guess that it would be around bodyweight for at least one rep.

It kind of sucks that I have to put serious effort just to work up to an average untrained standard but at the end of the day - it is about improving yourself so as long as you are progressing your own lifts and improving then that is all that matters.

Yeah never thought about it like that, me and my brother started going to the gym at the same time and after the few weeks I was still struggling on 40kg whilst he was on 60kg for 3x5, incredibly annoying. That's all I'm bothered about atm, I think at the beginning I was too impatient with my lifts progress after reading stats of some of the users on here, but now I just care about my own progress. Even if I am lifting light compared to others, I'ms till progressing somewhat :smile:

I would have been pinned by the bar when I started lifting. Just keep at it and accept the hand that nature has dealt you. You can get reasonably strong if you train smart, don't get injured and give it some time.
Original post by The Blind Monk
I would have been pinned by the bar when I started lifting. Just keep at it and accept the hand that nature has dealt you. You can get reasonably strong if you train smart, don't get injured and give it some time.

Thanks for the re-assurance, I'll keep at it :smile:

Yea, i'm still using the same fitness log since i started like 1 and a half years ago so you can check it out from the start if you want to see my progress.

I checked last night and think i first majorly stall at 55kg bench and 35kg press...

OHP
20kg 1x5
32kg 5 4 3
Really happy with this, been scared of increasing from 30kg for a long time so just need to work on getting 3x5 now.
Extremely happy with todays progress.

Reckon you'll get 3*5 next press session with 5,4,3 this time.:smile:
Yea, i'm still using the same fitness log since i started like 1 and a half years ago so you can check it out from the start if you want to see my progress.

I checked last night and think i first majorly stall at 55kg bench and 35kg press...

Reckon you'll get 3*5 next press session with 5,4,3 this time.:smile:

That's great, I've actually been reading your recent posts but didn't know your blog was from the start as most users have multiple blogs or started blogging after a while of training so I didn't bother to check. And thanks, I hope so! :smile:
Back Squat
20kg 1x7
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
65kg 3x5

BP
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
50kg 5 5 4
Really happy with BP-feel like I'm finally progressing with the upper body lifts!

Pendlay rows
3x8 (Didn't check the weight-it was one of those pre-set barbells)
Nice, you've added 3kg on the BP and only failed by 1 rep.
Next aim, first plate (60kg)!
Nice, you've added 3kg on the BP and only failed by 1 rep.
Next aim, first plate (60kg)!

Thanks and first plate seems still quite far away yet! By christmas hopefully..
Reply 59
Thanks and first plate seems still quite far away yet! By christmas hopefully..

You'll defo get it by Xmas I reckon. 10kg seems a lot but think of four 2.5kg increases.

Quick Reply

Latest