The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

howdy, im wanting to do medicine aswell and im taking biology chemistry physics and art. i didnt want to take physics but i decided it might be a good idea, i might take on board maths as a fith a level but im hoping i can get by with experience, i want to go to do voluntary work in africa for my gap year and intend on working in old peoples home ect so this should give me merit points hopefully! i think they dont just look at grades because they get so many applications, so if you dont fancy taking all the recommended a levels try and make the rest of you sound dazzeling. thats what im going to go :smile:
Reply 21
To be honest i dont see why it matters so much what you get at GCSE, as long as you get A*s in the subjects you need, like sciences and maths etc, why should it matter what you get in the French GCSE you didnt really want to take, or in any other subject you didn't do by choice but had forced upon you by your school???
GCSEs help separate the "best candidates" from more mediocre ones. Unis can't really tell from AS Levels and predicted grades, particularly for a course such as medicine. A strong set of GCSEs help you stand out from the hoards of aspiring medics...
Reply 23
Yeah i know that, but i still feel it is slightly unfair say on someone who is great at everything, except languages and RE, and is forced to do them both by their school, and then gets rejected because they only did ok in those subjects.

They do need something to separate candidates though, and at the minute there isnt really anything else to go on.
Reply 24
i want to do medicine and i got 7A* and 3A one of which is bio though.. i am doing maths, bio, chem, history, french, for AS and i am predicted A*,A,A,A,A but do u think my bio IGCSE will be too bad?

Latest

Trending

Trending