The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmjh
I applied to do a PGCE at BG this year however im scared that i may fail my numeracy skills test. Has this happened to anybody? And what have they done until they can re-take them?
I need to start thinking of a plan b just incase the PGCE falls through.

Why don't you try numeracy ready to prepare for numeracy? It is really useful!
Reply 5981
I've joined up to it thanks! Just fingers crossed it will help me out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmjh
I've joined up to it thanks! Just fingers crossed it will help me out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will! And make good use of the free practice skills tests online to get used to the layout and style of questions. I passed first time and Maths really isn't my strong point. There's no reason you shouldn't pass. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5983
Original post by womanonamission
It will! And make good use of the free practice skills tests online to get used to the layout and style of questions. I passed first time and Maths really isn't my strong point. There's no reason you shouldn't pass. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did it take you to get to grips with it and feel comfortable until you took your test? How often would you use it?
I dont want to try and cram it all in and stress myseld out.
Original post by emmjh
How long did it take you to get to grips with it and feel comfortable until you took your test? How often would you use it?

I know how you feel. I rescheduled the test a couple of times as I didn't feel comfortable. It probably took me approx 2 months (not constant cramming just working on it for an hour every now and then).

Just remember you only need 63% (I think!) to pass so you don't need to be getting everyone right in order to take the test, just as long as you feel comfortable enough.

I worried more than I needed too, you probably are too x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmjh

I'm the same as womanonmission- maths is not my strong point and I passed first time (still surprised!). I practised every night and copied all the questions I got wrong before I moved on to next test (you can open old tests when you move to new ones). I also spent a whole weekend before the test revising. I stressed myself out so much(not sure I recommend doing that but it ensured I passed). Just practice, practice, practice. Also really keep an eye on time for the mental arithmetic questions. Good luck :smile: xx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5986
Original post by cutebat
I'm the same as womanonmission- maths is not my strong point and I passed first time (still surprised!). I practised every night and copied all the questions I got wrong before I moved on to next test (you can open old tests when you move to new ones). I also spent a whole weekend before the test revising. I stressed myself out so much(not sure I recommend doing that but it ensured I passed). Just practice, practice, practice. Also really keep an eye on time for the mental arithmetic questions. Good luck :smile: xx

Thankyou! I have my test on tuesday! I have a feeling im going to be very busy today and tomorrow! Its the mental arithmatic thar lers me down :frown:
Never mind. Will keep you posted as to how i do! :tongue:
Original post by emmjh
Thankyou! I have my test on tuesday! I have a feeling im going to be very busy today and tomorrow! Its the mental arithmatic thar lers me down :frown:
Never mind. Will keep you posted as to how i do! :tongue:

I found YouTube videos for the mental maths bit awesome!

Type in mental maths numeracy skills test and they come up. A guy explaining step by step how to work the question out (in the right time), before moving onto the next one! Good luck for it, just be calm - it's not as scary as you think once you get started!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

Has anyone had an interview with IOE (post compulsory PGCE) and received a conditional offer?

The condition is that they can find me a psychology placement in a college or sixth form.

I was wondering if anyone is or has been in the same boat as I'd like to have an idea of how long I have to wait before finding out if I have actually have a place this year or not!

Original post by ST10
I'm posting this here & in the Schools Direct thread :smile: and more of just writing it down somewhere than anything else!

Applied late for three schools direct places, had two unsuccessful interviews and the other I've yet to hear back from. It seems that they're actually not that keen on late applications (been noted in both why I was leaving it so late to apply) & that they expect you to be a teacher and know everything before you're even there! Am disappointed but feel I've learnt so much from the process for next year.

I get that impression too - I originally applied in November and got 3/3 interviews, but since I've had to reapply in late April/early May, I haven't had a single interview and universities are taking a very long time to get back to me.

That expectation to already be a teacher is why I lost my original place :/ it's very frustrating, especially when schools won't tell you what they expect from you.
Has anyone from IOE (Secondary Geography or any other course) started their pre-course tasks yet? I'm struggling to write much for some of them as a few of them are quite general! :s-smilie:
Hello, I've just decided to apply for a PGCE and I've found out that applications for 2014 opened last November (wow).

Few questions for anyone who could help...

1) There are still vacancies, but will it be a rush to apply for 2014 entry now?

2) I graduated in 2012 and did my work experience in my 2nd year of uni (15 days in a state school) with the intention to apply for my PGCE in my 3rd year. However, with the stress of 3rd year I decided to focus entirely on my degree and leave all thoughts of PGCE until I'd graduated and worked awhile. Since graduating 2 years ago I've been working and getting experience of adult life outside of education. Will my work experience have 'expired' by now? I work full time so it's going to be tricky to get work exp before the closing date...I might be able to manage a couple of days here and there but nothing like the 5 weeks that some providers ask for.

3) Do we have to organize the literacy and numeracy test ourselves of is this part of the process of 'Apply 1' - I've yet to sign up and start my application and it's not covered in the 'how to apply' section.

Many Thanks!
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Hello, I've just decided to apply for a PGCE and I've found out that applications for 2014 opened last November (wow).

Few questions for anyone who could help...

1) There are still vacancies, but will it be a rush to apply for 2014 entry now?

2) I graduated in 2012 and did my work experience in my 2nd year of uni (15 days in a state school) with the intention to apply for my PGCE in my 3rd year. However, with the stress of 3rd year I decided to focus entirely on my degree and leave all thoughts of PGCE until I'd graduated and worked awhile. Since graduating 2 years ago I've been working and getting experience of adult life outside of education. Will my work experience have 'expired' by now? I work full time so it's going to be tricky to get work exp before the closing date...I might be able to manage a couple of days here and there but nothing like the 5 weeks that some providers ask for.

3) Do we have to organize the literacy and numeracy test ourselves of is this part of the process of 'Apply 1' - I've yet to sign up and start my application and it's not covered in the 'how to apply' section.

Many Thanks!

Most providers will require recent work experience in schools. Usually two full weeks and usually within the last year.
You have to arrange the skills tests yourself, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
Most providers will require recent work experience in schools. Usually two full weeks and usually within the last year.
You have to arrange the skills tests yourself, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

It does seem quite last minute, I had my interview in December and got my place in Jan. They say how competitive the PGCE is but I guess it also depends on what PGCE you wish to do.

If there are still vacancies, then I don't see the harm however it is a lot of work. (Skills tests, personal statement, UCAS application, pre course tasks, further time in school if required, applying for student finance). My course starts Sept 1st which wouldn't give you too much time to arrange everything.

If you have something to do this year, it may be worth applying super early at the end of this year to give yourself the best shot. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flapjack91
Has anyone from IOE (Secondary Geography or any other course) started their pre-course tasks yet? I'm struggling to write much for some of them as a few of them are quite general! :s-smilie:

I haven't started them yet - I'm planning on completing them much nearer the time so that when it becomes time to discuss them they'll still be fresh in my mind.
Original post by womanonamission
It does seem quite last minute, I had my interview in December and got my place in Jan. They say how competitive the PGCE is but I guess it also depends on what PGCE you wish to do.

If there are still vacancies, then I don't see the harm however it is a lot of work. (Skills tests, personal statement, UCAS application, pre course tasks, further time in school if required, applying for student finance). My course starts Sept 1st which wouldn't give you too much time to arrange everything.

If you have something to do this year, it may be worth applying super early at the end of this year to give yourself the best shot. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was originally set on applying for 2015 entry because I thought that the application process would be over by now, but then I checked the website...that's why I'm considering 2014 entry now. If anything, it gives me a chance to start my PS early and get back into a school. If I manage to get it all done in time then great but I expect it will be a case of learning the process of it as I doubt I'll get a place this year considering all the things I need to do. I'll give it a go anyhow!
I was originally set on applying for 2015 entry because I thought that the application process would be over by now, but then I checked the website...that's why I'm considering 2014 entry now. If anything, it gives me a chance to start my PS early and get back into a school. If I manage to get it all done in time then great but I expect it will be a case of learning the process of it as I doubt I'll get a place this year considering all the things I need to do. I'll give it a go anyhow!

Yeah I'd agree, start the process and you can use it for next years entry. Like mentioned above you'll almost certainly need X amount of recent experience in the relevant age range, but if you want to apply ASAP when next year's applications open, you actually need to sort that experience pretty soon anyway, considering we have the summer coming up!

xxx
Reply 5998
Original post by Jomawds
Hello!

Has anyone had an interview with IOE (post compulsory PGCE) and received a conditional offer?

The condition is that they can find me a psychology placement in a college or sixth form.

I was wondering if anyone is or has been in the same boat as I'd like to have an idea of how long I have to wait before finding out if I have actually have a place this year or not!

Hi, Jomawds, I am exactly in the same boat. Psychology too :smile: nice to meet you. I am on absolute tenterhooks waiting for conformation. What happens if they do not find us a placement?
I've just contacted the school I was due to observe in and they got back to tell me they've changed their policy so that all observers have to already have a PGCE offer and they're accepting no more observations this year anyway.

When I visited the school they said they'd contact me in a couple of weeks to give me the dates so I emailed them this morning as they hadn't contacted me at all and they replied to let me know that observing with them isn't possible anymore. I'm just angry that they didn't contact me earlier to let me know. It took forever to find this placement as nowhere wants to let anyone observe so it looks like I'm completely stuffed.

And to make it more fun my personal tutor isn't back from his break until the 15th so I can't get my reference sorted out yet either.

I've passed my literacy QTS, and I'm due to take the numeracy one in a couple of weeks and I really want to start this September. The unis that I've contacted still have places and told me to apply but I'm hearing horror stories that even if they interview me it'll be unlikely they'll offer me a place.

Latest

Trending

Trending