The Student Room Group

Medway accomodation too expensive

I am going to be a new student at medway in September studying pharmacy and I just applied for student accommodation at liberty quays and realised it is really expensive. I had a look at student housing prices and you would save so much money by staying in a house instead. Has anyone else realised. I'm trying to see if anyone else feels the same because I wanna get a group of first years and just get a student house near the campus instead.
Reply 1
Don't forget in private student accommodation you will also have to pay bills and probably have to pay at least half rent through the summer months unlike student accommodation where you'll only pay during term time.
Reply 2
Living in halls will probably be much more fun!
Reply 3
Yup I've realised this. The amount of student loan I will get will just about cover the cost of living at Liberty Quays, which means I'll have next to no money besides that for food and rent.

It's a hard decision because on the one hand I've heard so many good things about Liberty Quays, how there's always something going on (which would save money on going out) and I lived in halls when I did my foundation year in London and it was so much fun!

But living in a house would be a lot cheaper, leaving more money to go out (and with the free bus to Canterbury I for one would definitely want to go out there), buy things, perhaps save a little, etc but miss out on living in LQ with like a thousand other students. :/

Liberty Quays is £130/week, whereas you can find a decent room in a houseshare for £80/week. £50/week difference is loooooads!

Obviously many students try to find a job, even just a Saturday job or something, but you can't really rely on the assumption that you'll get a job. It's so hard to get a job these days, let alone one that fits in with uni hours.

Sorry I've written loads, I'm on here for pretty much the same reason as you atm!

Good luck anyway :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
5mins walk from medway campus there is a student house with loads of flats in it. the place is called compass house. some of their students are first years, i called them up and the owner said there will be about 10-15 first year students there this september. in that place there are different flats for different prices, u can get one for 85 pounds a week and then max like 130 pounds depending on what kind of room u want etc. the accommodation is great too so if u decide on this option then i would hurry because they do fill up quiet quickly because of their rates. u dont have to pay for the rent during summer time and u dont have to pay for any of the bills, u can get contracts with the tenant for how many months u staying. say if u pay 85 pounds a week for staying in one of their flats then that covers everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending