The Student Room Group

Why all the hate for sporty girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
(at the moment, I'm cutting so I'm not eating any carbs)

Don't be silly, your brain needs carbs
It's not getting me down all the time, lol, it's just really annoying because most of my guy friends who are more "intellectual" than sporty see me this way. It's like they keep insisting there's something wrong with me just for being disciplined. And then it's not "cool" to go on a night out and, say, drink water instead of a lot of alcohol because you're cutting either.

How much do you deadlift?
Reply 42
Original post by Skip_Snip
Don't be silly, your brain needs carbs

Do you not exercise? Loads of athletes don't eat carbs.
Reply 43
No hate, just love.
Reply 44
Original post by Smack
How much do you deadlift?

About 60kg (a bit more than I weigh), why?
Reply 45
Do you not exercise? Loads of athletes don't eat carbs.

Probably where the dumb jocks stereotype comes from :wink: Just kidding, but don't neglect your brain!
It's not getting me down all the time, lol, it's just really annoying because most of my guy friends who are more "intellectual" than sporty see me this way. It's like they keep insisting there's something wrong with me just for being disciplined. And then it's not "cool" to go on a night out and, say, drink water instead of a lot of alcohol because you're cutting either.

Try not to care too much what so-called friends think and if you put them in their place they'll soon shut up. I remember I lost a lot of weight and started lifting and one guy at work 'jokingly' tried to say I looked like a man just because my arms had slight definition to them. I then told him he was jealous because he had no muscles and he never said a thing about me after that :biggrin:
Ok here is a realistic answer, personally I love sporty girls, I can relate to them as I do lots of sport. :biggrin:
But i've heard loads of idiotic people saying they dislike girls who play football, probably because it goes against their view of football is only for men etc :lol: (which most people believe- not saying i agree with it before I get the feminist bandwagon on me - see the first sentence in case you are reading this)
Reply 48
Original post by Skip_Snip
Probably where the dumb jocks stereotype comes from :wink: Just kidding, but don't neglect your brain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fuelling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source.

I don't know where you're getting that only carbs can fuel your brain from.
Reply 49
everyone has different preferences. you can take absolutely any quality or aspect about a person and you will find some people who don't like it. I wouldn't take that to mean people in general are unattracted to it. Just be happy that you enjoy your hobbies and have something to be interested in and be glad of the half who find it a positive.

edit: just read some more of your posts. The issues seems to be that your male "friends" who do this are not very nice people.
(edited 10 years ago)

I failed to see where that link said 'no' carbs, all i saw is low carbs. Having absolutely no carbs is not healthy and one way ticket to muscle atrophy and general fatigue. Especially if you do as much exercise as you say you do.
Reply 51
They can't all be morons, literally about half the guys I know say this (mainly the more intellectual/geeky types) and that I'd be "more slim and feminine" if I had less muscle. I just look like most girls who do gymnastics though? :dontknow:

Guys who aren't sporty will probably say this. They just don't appreciate a sporty figure, being too lazy to get one themselves :rolleyes: It is all down to the individual and most guys will love your figure!
beach volleyball is all good
I've got no problem with them, I'm quite sporty too so :smile:
Reply 54

Only carbs can HEALTHILY provide fuel that crosses the blood-brain barrier. Ketone bodies are unhealthy, the diets are used in very specific conditions as a way to control neurological disorders. In other people, ketone body metabolism is not healthy, and is the physiological last-ditch attempt to avoid death by starvation.
Reply 55
At the risk of sounding noobish what would you say it says about them? Practically half my guy friends make fun of me for this reason, but I can't see that I'm doing anything particularly wrong. Lifting weights doesn't automatically turn me into a female bodybuilder.

Some combination of insecure, lazy, unmotivated etc. But it could be simpler - like being misinformed as to what female lifters actually look like but I would be surprised if there wasn't some hidden complex behind it.

And yeah you shouldn't cut out carbs completely. I've heard from friends that did keto for a while that it's unsustainable and makes them cranky :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
I failed to see where that link said 'no' carbs, all i saw is low carbs. Having absolutely no carbs is not healthy and one way ticket to muscle atrophy and general fatigue. Especially if you do as much exercise as you say you do.

I imagine you can replace "very little carbohydrates" with "no carbohydrates."

Anyway we're going off topic here so not going to take the argument much further, but how many carbs would you recommend I get, then? (I assume you lift/work out). :smile:
I don't find it a turn off.. But then I'm not sporty at all lol
Reply 58
I've never been to the gym in my life and I don't really care if a girl does sports or not.
Reply 59
Original post by Blueray2
Ok here is a realistic answer, personally I love sporty girls, I can relate to them as I do lots of sport. :biggrin:

But i've heard loads of idiotic people saying they dislike girls who play football, probably because it goes against their view of football is only for men etc :lol: (which most people believe- not saying i agree with it before I get the feminist bandwagon on me - see the first sentence in case you are reading this)

That's the thing, I find it really hard to relate to my guy friends who don't do sport (even my female friends who hate going to the gym will "get" why I eat healthily and so on). Surely it's not so uncommon nowadays for girls to lift/work out? :tongue:

I don't play football btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending