The Student Room Group

Lita3: Aqa reading for meaning - love through the ages exam 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by abhisus
"Try to relax and have fun with it. Show the examiners everything that you've learnt in your two years. You know a lot more than you think."

That definitely helped me! Your words are a lot more inspirational than you think. :wink:

What do you guys have for jealousy in love? None of the previous exams had extracts on it. :/ I was thinking about Othello, The Bell Jar (?) and poems??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you did Carol Ann Duffy last year look in her collection there will definitely be one in there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by emilyleah
Yeah because context is worth 10 marks just write about different attitudes in the texts. But it's good to know features of each time period like what features there are of each time period then you can talk and compare about them too. Like for modernist texts talk about epic theatre anf theatre of the absurd etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not actually true, wider reading and some aspects of form also come under that 10 mark AO4 band so I think you can get away with not mentioning much context at all if you're strong enough on the other parts.
anyone have any ideas what kind of love will come up tomorrow? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by spwills
Hi :smile:

I was wondering if you could help me with something.

If for example the question is on two prose extracts, how would I go about comparing the structure of the extracts to my wider reading?

For example, if I was to use Tess of the d'Urbervilles, how would I do this?

I know the structure of the whole novel, it's in seven parts, etc. But would I have to take a certain scene from Tess to be able to compare the structure?
I'm worried about this as there really is no structure to separate scenes, as the book is structured as a whole.

Do you see what I'm getting at or have I confused you? :rolleyes:

Thank you !

Hey again! It's ok, I understood that! Prose is quite tricky. You don't have to look at a scene, there's simply not enough time. If I were making an AO1 link, I'd use a relevant action (or quote) e.g. "Patriarchal dominance within relationships are also alluded to in Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'. Mr Rochester desires to 'fetter' Jane to his wristwatch, which is symptomatic of patriarchal society's control over women."
Not a very good sentence, I know.
You get more marks for making a form link e.g. genre link "Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar' is also a Bildungsroman, written in a first person linear narrative with the occasional flashback. The flashbacks, much like the reflective nature of (unseen text), provide Esther the ability to reflect upon her mistakes, which lends the novel a regretful tone."
^
Those links are a bit **** but you get the idea. It can be as small a link as you like, so long as you provide a bit of evidence (quotes not always necessary) to validate your point.
Original post by Ashahedow
Hey again! It's ok, I understood that! Prose is quite tricky. You don't have to look at a scene, there's simply not enough time. If I were making an AO1 link, I'd use a relevant action (or quote) e.g. "Patriarchal dominance within relationships are also alluded to in Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'. Mr Rochester desires to 'fetter' Jane to his wristwatch, which is symptomatic of patriarchal society's control over women."
Not a very good sentence, I know.
You get more marks for making a form link e.g. genre link "Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar' is also a Bildungsroman, written in a first person linear narrative with the occasional flashback. The flashbacks, much like the reflective nature of (unseen text), provide Esther the ability to reflect upon her mistakes, which lends the novel a regretful tone."
^
Those links are a bit **** but you get the idea. It can be as small a link as you like, so long as you provide a bit of evidence (quotes not always necessary) to validate your point.

Just to add to this, it's also really good if you can extend the wider reading link and provide a contrast too. I find this helps to bring the given extract back in and get on with the paragraph.

So I would make the point as above, then say something like "however, at the end of Ibsen's 'A Doll's House', Nora takes control when she leaves Torvald, whereas the protagonist in the extract suffers in silence'.

You also get more marks for comparing and contrasting with wider reading as it shows you've developed and thought carefully about your links.
Reply 45
I know it's easy to say this now, but you should look at this exam as an opportunity. Hopefully you chose to do English Literature at A Level because you enjoy it. This is a chance for you to showcase all the things that you've learnt in the last two years: concepts, analysis, context.

The exam board recommend thirty minutes planning time which will seem like an absolute age within an exam context, but the key is depth over distance. Don't try and cover EVERYTHING about the two texts (x2) because it won't work and the examiners would much rather you chose a few themes to compare and contrast to go into detail on than scratching the surface with several points because you're so worried that you haven't covered all the bases.

The thing I'm most worried about is memorising quotes. Right now my mind's gone pretty blank. Thank god I only need a D on this paper...

Good luck...
Reply 46
Hi,
Does anyone have any good quotes for homosexual love?
Reply 47
I can't believe some people aren't yet prepared enough for this exam, don't know the weightings of the marks for AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO4, don't know quotes and don't know wider reading?!?! I have 7 wider reading sources for each genre, to get into the A-grade marks, you need to know quotes properly so you don't mis-quote them, you need to include specific context for each source you cover and you need to cover at least 1 prose, 1 poetry and 1 drama across the whole paper for 80 marks. In the examiners report, they said at least 30% of your essay need to be wider reading, so if you're writing 3 pages for Question 1, almost one of those pages need to be on your wider reading example or examples... Not just a sentence, for whoever said that! Good luck guys!
Original post by 06worthd
Hi,
Does anyone have any good quotes for homosexual love?

Try Carol Ann Duffy- Rapture Poems
There's never any reference to the gender of the subject in the poems, though most agree it is probably addressed to a woman, that'd be enough for homosexual love I think?
Is this enough wider reading? Please tell me if it's enough!? *panicking*

Drama
A Streetcar Named Desire
Hamlet
A Doll's House
1 Shakespeare Play

Prose
The Great Gatsby
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
The Catcher in the Rye

Poetry
Miller's Tale- Chaucer
They Flee From Me- Thomas Wyatt
Love that doth reign and live within my thought- Henry Howard
Sonnet 18&130
The Flea- John Donne
To His Coy Mistress- Andrew Marvel
When We Two Parted- Byron
La Belle Dame Sans Merci- Keats
2/3 Emma Poems- Hardy
Original post by kelbel1
I can't believe some people aren't yet prepared enough for this exam, don't know the weightings of the marks for AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO4, don't know quotes and don't know wider reading?!?! I have 7 wider reading sources for each genre, to get into the A-grade marks, you need to know quotes properly so you don't mis-quote them, you need to include specific context for each source you cover and you need to cover at least 1 prose, 1 poetry and 1 drama across the whole paper for 80 marks. In the examiners report, they said at least 30% of your essay need to be wider reading, so if you're writing 3 pages for Question 1, almost one of those pages need to be on your wider reading example or examples... Not just a sentence, for whoever said that! Good luck guys!

No need to be such a f***ing a**hole, some of us have had other exams to deal with and haven't had enough time to prepare. So glad your revision is going well, but try not to be so patronising next time.
Reply 51
Original post by legendaryy
Is this enough wider reading? Please tell me if it's enough!? *panicking*

Drama
A Streetcar Named Desire
Hamlet
A Doll's House
1 Shakespeare Play

Prose
The Great Gatsby
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
The Catcher in the Rye

Poetry
Miller's Tale- Chaucer
They Flee From Me- Thomas Wyatt
Love that doth reign and live within my thought- Henry Howard
Sonnet 18&130
The Flea- John Donne
To His Coy Mistress- Andrew Marvel
When We Two Parted- Byron
La Belle Dame Sans Merci- Keats
2/3 Emma Poems- Hardy

as long as you know them inside out! And they need to explore a wide range of themes so you don't get stuck!
Has anybody revieced any predictions from teachers? or have any guesses about what may come up??

To my knowledge they haven't done a question on friendship and love between friends before, so I'm guessing this may come up perhaps!!!!

Also could they give us Chaucer??
Does anyone have any idea how many wider readings they're planning to use in each question? Is three the minimum? Plus .. you don't have to necessarily have a specific quote for your wider reading do you? I'm just worried if I get into the exam and forget a quote I won't be able to link through the general idea?
Reply 54
Original post by SophieWhite05
Does anyone have any idea how many wider readings they're planning to use in each question? Is three the minimum? Plus .. you don't have to necessarily have a specific quote for your wider reading do you? I'm just worried if I get into the exam and forget a quote I won't be able to link through the general idea?

Dont worry if you don't know a quote exactly as it was written you are allowed to paraphrase I often use one worded quotes like "bitterly" , "oppressed" from those words alone you could talk about tone and language!
Reply 55
Original post by hurricane95
No need to be such a f***ing a**hole, some of us have had other exams to deal with and haven't had enough time to prepare. So glad your revision is going well, but try not to be so patronising next time.

I'm not being a f***ing a**hole at all, no need to call people that just because you disagree with my comment or you are unprepared yourself. It wasn't aimed at anyone, and I too have had other exams. I tried to answer some peoples questions in my comment too, and help people who don't quite get what they need to put in. Let's all be friendly here...!
Again, good luck! X
Reply 56

3 is a minimum, so 1 for each genre you use, but if you find a particular aspect of the unseen source interesting and it links with one of your other wider reading, you could briefly explain it, to show in-depth knowledge. Quoting certain words is cool, as the person who has replied has said.

I do one in the first question and two in the second.
So many quotes floating around in my head. I only need a U to get an A overall but I'd love an A* :erm:
Thanks for all the replies! Feel less stressed now as I though it was three minimum per each question! Hopefully all will be well tomorrow and the texts will be good! Although I now feel as though I have overprepared/overloaded myself with wider reading texts :/
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending