The Student Room Group

A Level Home Tutor or College

Hi everyone
I intend to take A Level to study Computer Science in UK.
Mathematics and Further Mathematics is required. What other subjects would help me too? Physics or Computing? Which would be better?
Should I take both in my AS year and drop either one in A2?

As I'm aiming for a scholarship, I need to have excellent grades for my A Level. Home Tutoring or study in a school? Which would be better?
Is taking A Level exams as private candidate cost more too?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Asshu
Hi everyone
I intend to take A Level to study Computer Science in UK.
Mathematics and Further Mathematics is required. What other subjects would help me too? Physics or Computing? Which would be better?
Should I take both in my AS year and drop either one in A2?

As I'm aiming for a scholarship, I need to have excellent grades for my A Level. Home Tutoring or study in a school? Which would be better?

My advice would be to go onto the University websites, scroll down to Computer Science degree and see what their entry requirements and subjects are.

As to which is better, tutoring or home study, I really cant say :frown:. i'd always prefer school personally because of the social side.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.
I've check the requirements. Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be ideal for computer science applicants.
I'm troubled if I would be able to score in my a level with self studying/home tutor.
I'll have a private tutor, one-on-one though. But it is much more convenient for me this way.
I'm worried about the fees too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Asshu

The exam board charges the same fees, but if you are not enrolled at a centre then they will charge you an admin fee for their expertise, time and invigilation. This varies markedly between centres - the cost of taking 1 exam can be anything from £15 to £100, with the practicals/coursework for sciences being significantly more expensive so it pays to shop around.

Quick Reply

Latest