The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Lupton/North Hill Court/Montague Burton

Hi everyone!
I'm a Spanish student and I've chosen Leeds for my year abroad. I'm really excited but choosing accommodation is driving me crazy; there are so many options!
However, I've managed to narrow my list down to three halls: Lupton, NHC and Montague B. As I'm not British I haven't been to any open days or anything, so I haven't had the chance to see the halls and decide which ones give me a 'good vibe' and which don't, and I have to rely on what I read online.
I have so many questions, and I was hoping anyone who's actually seen the halls (or stayed at them) could help me?

- Lupton: How long does it take you to walk to the campus? (I'm studying English, so my school is near the Parkinson building I think)
Is the long walk too bad, esp during winter? I've been living close to school/high school/uni all my life, so it's going to be a change, but I think it can be good to experience something different, because you won't have everything at your doorstep all your life! However, I'm just wondering if distance can discourage you from getting to the city center, or even to study at the campus library. However, living close to a supermarket and all kinds of shops in Headingly is a big plus, I reckon.

- Montague Burton: These halls look nice, and having a washbasin in your room is great. However what puts me off about them is:

I've heard it's in a dodgy area... I guess everything should be ok as long as you "don't walk alone", but I'd appreciate being able to walk on my own without getting mugged.

The international students are put into separate blocks. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of people from many different countries, BUT that does include British students as well -and as I'm majoring in English well, it makes sense, doesn't it?- and I think sometimes it's already difficult to get to know native students when you're not a native yourself and you don't share the same first language, so living in separate buildings may just make it even harder (?) I don't know, maybe that's not even the case and everyone just gets along, or maybe the Uni organizes things like that because international students are a couple years older and so we aren't as "relaxed" as freshers in terms of studies? Any opinions?

Is Monty B close to any supermarket?

Also I don't know if internationals are also "segregated" in Lupton and North Hill (like in different flats or something), does anyone know?

- North Hill Court: It's the cheapest halls and it looks nice on the outside and the rooms are big with large windows... It's also small which I like (more familiar), and closer to uni than Lupton. I can't find a lot of information about it though. Does it have any supermarkets/shops nearby, or do you have to get to Headingley all the time? That would be the only drawback, as far as I know.
Also, does it have its own laundry facilities or are they shared with James Baillie Park?

And that's it by now!
(As you can see, I'm basically sticking to the cheapest halls.)

ANYTHING you can tell me about these places will be really helpful (personal experience, what you've heard, pics if you've got some...). Thank you so much.

By the way, sorry about any grammar mistakes or if there's anything that doesn't make sense, but I'm writing this really fast! Also it's quite long, so thanks if you've read it all. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by albuquerque
Hi everyone!
- Lupton: How long does it take you to walk to the campus? (I'm studying English, so my school is near the Parkinson building I think)
Is the long walk too bad, esp during winter? I've been living close to school/high school/uni all my life, so it's going to be a change, but I think it can be good to experience something different, because you won't have everything at your doorstep all your life! However, I'm just wondering if distance can discourage you from getting to the city center, or even to study at the campus library. However, living close to a supermarket and all kinds of shops in Headingly is a big plus, I reckon.

¡Hola! I was in Lupton in first year and it was a really good experience. The main thing about Lupton is it's cheap and basic! It's also a really friendly place (although obviously that depends on who's there...) - in my block everyone was always around at each other's flat and there was a real friendly feel to it.

Regarding the walk: it's true that it gets a bit much after a few weeks. It never bothered me too much. For most people it took 35 minutes to get to campus but it's a nice walk.

Living a lot nearer to campus this year, I've definitely been into the city centre more often, but for your everyday life, Headingley is fine: I used to do all my shopping at Sainsbury's but if you look a bit further around you'll find bakeries, greengrocers etc and lots of charity shops.

If you've got any more questions, just send me a message. Buena suerte :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by s32j

Regarding the walk: it's true that it gets a bit much after a few weeks. It never bothered me too much. For most people it took 35 minutes to get to campus but it's a nice walk.

Thanks for your reply! ^^
Just another question: is the walk from Lupton to campus up a hill or is it flat?
I've been to look around Lupton and North Hill Court and I have chosen to apply to Lupton.

Lupton

It was a really nice size. Rooms were big enough with lots of storage!

The kitchen was big with a large table so everyone can sit at it.

Lupton is in a lovely area.

It's great value for money.

North Hill Court

A little closer to the Uni.

In a secluded area. (I didn't like this much, it looked like it'd be dangerous on a night).

The halls smelt funny and were very dark and dingy!

Bedrooms were big, but the kitchen was tiny!

Tiny table to sit around.

There didn't seem to be much of a community.

I just think Lupton was a lot prettier and the rooms were better quality!
The walk from Lupton up to the Uni is up a very gentle slope. There is a bus stop right around the corner though, so if it's raining you can always catch a bus.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply! ^^
Just another question: is the walk from Lupton to campus up a hill or is it flat?

Going to uni, there's a bit of an uphill walk just as you get out of Headingley but then it's downhill to Hyde Park. Then uphill again to campus.

The walk back from uni is a bit more of a killer because Headingley Hill is fairly steep (you certainly notice it if you're cycling!) But it all keeps you fit and healthy and it's not so much of a problem...
Reply 5
Original post by Abblecrumble
I've been to look around Lupton and North Hill Court and I have chosen to apply to Lupton.

Lupton

It was a really nice size. Rooms were big enough with lots of storage!

The kitchen was big with a large table so everyone can sit at it.

Lupton is in a lovely area.

It's great value for money.

North Hill Court

A little closer to the Uni.

In a secluded area. (I didn't like this much, it looked like it'd be dangerous on a night).

The halls smelt funny and were very dark and dingy!

Bedrooms were big, but the kitchen was tiny!

Tiny table to sit around.

There didn't seem to be much of a community.

I just think Lupton was a lot prettier and the rooms were better quality!
The walk from Lupton up to the Uni is up a very gentle slope. There is a bus stop right around the corner though, so if it's raining you can always catch a bus.

Thanks a lot! This was really helpful.
Thanks a lot! This was really helpful.

You're welcome! I mean, I don't want to make North Hill Court look like an awful place, but I think that Lupton is a lot better value for money (you get so much better facilities). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest