The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
_jackofdiamonds
They seemed more concerned with the $$$ God.

In the good old days, wealth was considered next door to Godliness and was considered a sign of Divine Approval. A few Americans seem to still believe this.

I wish I'd seen this programme, alas I never manage to catch anything that's on TV anymore.
_jackofdiamonds
They seemed more concerned with the $$$ God.

Indeed, the character with the blonde hair for instance. The scene when he was in the kitchen and said something along the line that the new god is capitalisms consumerism and he wishes to change such a culture....

his house, wasn't there a hummer or at least a big car parked outside it???!!!
Smacks of hypocrisy...and it's very worrying if such people are making up the U.S administration etc...

Frankly, cringe-worthy. Very saddening, very angering, extremely pathetic but freedom of opinion, expression et al, and society would be much worse off if we didn't have it *i think* :confused: :biggrin: It felt rather ugly in its elitism, and this "we're in it together, let's fight and conquer the world with our beliefs...nothing will stand in our path..." VERY distasteful.
Reply 22
white_haired_wizard
Indeed, the character with the blonde hair for instance. The scene when he was in the kitchen and said something along the line that the new god is capitalisms consumerism and he wishes to change such a culture....

his house, wasn't there a hummer or at least a big car parked outside it???!!!
Smacks of hypocrisy...and it's very worrying if such people are making up the U.S administration etc...

Frankly, cringe-worthy. Very saddening, very angering, extremely pathetic but freedom of opinion, expression et al, and society would be much worse off if we didn't have it *i think* :confused: :biggrin: It felt rather ugly in its elitism, and this "we're in it together, let's fight and conquer the world with our beliefs...nothing will stand in our path..." VERY distasteful.

Wait, you're calling all people who have a different belief system from you "extremely pathetic", and then you accuse them of elitism? :confused:
Bismarck
Wait, you're calling all people who have a different belief system from you "extremely pathetic", and then you accuse them of elitism? :confused:

I voiced an opinion, not one which represents 'calling ALL people who have a different belief system...." - i'm just not a fan of extremism, which i believed the material in last nights programme to be.

'Pathetic' as in the crusade nature of their goings about....
Reply 24
white_haired_wizard
I voiced an opinion, not one which represents 'calling ALL people who have a different belief system...." - i'm just not a fan of extremism, which i believed the material in last nights programme to be.

'Pathetic' as in the crusade nature of their goings about....

Wouldn't you be the elitist ones by suggesting that those people are inferior to you (as the word "pathetic" implies)?
Bismarck
Wouldn't you be the elitist ones by suggesting that those people are inferior to you (as the word "pathetic" implies)?

it's an ugly ugly elitism...some elitism is good, can be used to many a peoples benefits....but when it's of a crusading nature, a conquering nature of employment....then yes, it can arguably be deemed as pathetic.

As a person, i feel more humanly decent than such crusaders, whether this qualifies me as 'elitist'...
Reply 26
I watched that last night.

To be honest... I find any form of extremism dangerous, as extremists of any kind don't seem to be big on a) compromise b) accepting views different from their own or c) giving up any time soon.

I appreciate that they are very dedicated and that Christianity is valid etc etc... but when they are disagreeing with gay marriage and abortion, I have to hope that they don't get anywhere.
Reply 27
There was an element of unnecessary hysteria about the programme. Yes, the students had some rather unconventional beliefs and the college was augmenting these but it is a small, private college (Not receiving state funding) and is entitled to teach whatever it chooses.
Reply 28
I can see it now... the Patrick Henry College - Harvey Milk High School exchange programme!

Or maybe not. :redface:
Reply 29
Bismarck

Well you're the only one who watched the show that thinks that they're just a pressure group.

They're a pressure group insofar as the NRA is a pressure group.

To be honest, I don't see the big fuss. So, there is an evangelical element of the Republican movement? What's new about that?
Reply 30
Mata

...but when they are disagreeing with gay marriage and abortion, I have to hope that they don't get anywhere.

Even the MOST liberal Republican would have to tread on fine ground when discussing abortion, if they value the Republican vote. I've never met a Republican that wants to secure a gay marriage bill.
Reply 31
Byronic
Even the MOST liberal Republican would have to tread on fine ground when discussing abortion, if they value the Republican vote. I've never met a Republican that wants to secure a gay marriage bill.

Most of the top Republicans in the Northeast are pro-choice. That includes the mayor of New York City and the governor of New York State. I believe both the mayor of New York and the governor of California also support gay marriage, though they want it to be legalized through the legislatures and not the courts.
Reply 32
Bismarck
Most of the top Republicans in the Northeast are pro-choice. That includes the mayor of New York City and the governor of New York State. I believe both the mayor of New York and the governor of California also support gay marriage, though they want it to be legalized through the legislatures and not the courts.

That seems logical given the fragmented nature of political parties in America. You'd have to agree that broadly speaking Republicans are pro-life and anti-gay marriage.
Reply 33
Byronic
That seems logical given the fragmented nature of political parties in America. You'd have to agree that broadly speaking Republicans are pro-life and anti-gay marriage.

As a general rule, you're correct. But I think you'll find an even greater correlation between which state a politician represents and his views on those issues. For example, the Democratic governor of South Dakota banned abortion a few months back. Just about anyone elected in the northeast and the west coast are likely to be socially liberal, while almost anyone elected in the deep south are likely to be socially conservative.
Reply 34
Some scumbag gave me neg rep for my post here to which i said nothin! And the loser didnt even sign it, no balls i guess! :rolleyes:

Edit, now i know who it is, the lier!
I didn't think it was any more horrifying than the existence of some pretty fundamental Islamic schools we have in this country (funded at least partially by the government). The fact that they were mostly home-schooled was worrying though, it can't be good for social skills, but that probably doesn't bother them too much.
America should choose Alistair Campbell as their next President before it's too late, as he said "We don't do God" in politics.
Reply 37
Bis, I'd imagine the reason the programme chose the US rather than a smaller country is that the US is pretty much at the centre of world power, and so a change in the beliefs of the ruling group have a greater effect on us than if, say , Iceland became an evangelical Christian nation.
I didn't see the programme, unfortunately, so I can't comment further
Reply 38
RichFaut

What got me thinking was that if they do succeed in lobbying the White House and installing themselves in positions of power - will it affect the rest of the world?

Sure. What's also intesting is how the current administrations extreme deep religious beliefs affect millions across the world already; It's known that they fund programs in Africa which promote abstinence and against the use of condoms. We're talking countries engulfed with AIDS.

Watching this program, it's amusing how naive and narrow-minded these kids were despite their intellectuals skills; very good at debating I may add. They're home-schooled, never in contact with the real world and they jump right aboard the Republican party, running around trying to win votes for their candidate concerning issues their poor narrow-minded brains could never comprehend. Brilliant

P.S Narrow-minded intellectual must be the worst oxymoron.
Reply 39
"Oh F**K!" was my reaction. Religion has no place in politics.

Latest

Trending

Trending