The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Roscamp
its not fact.
But then if I pick a brick off the ground, can you prove to me that by letting it go, it'll fall back to the ground? You'd be very silly to say it won't because of a lifetime of experience seeing unsupported things fall to the ground, but can you prove it will fall as fact? No. Just like you cannot really prove anything, but you can get so much evidence for it that all reasonable doubt is removed and you're left with irrational doubt.
Roscamp
ALPHA NUMERIC highlighted the fact that the bible said the earth was completley covered in water, which is true.
No it isn't. The egyptian civilisation is over 6000 years old and has no 'The Earth flooded totally' records. The aboriganies from Australia have lived there for over 40,000 years and have no record of total flooding. There is a place in Antarctica which hasn't seen water in liquid form for 2 million years.

And that's just ignoring the fact a global flood would lead enormous sedimentary evidence all over the globe, which there isn't.
Roscamp
but their not alive now and surely that amount of pressure on the earth could make rock types change and make lots of other stuff happen?!
Plenty of the ocean floor is submerged by over 4km of water already and while that's enough for compact animal matter into sedimentary rock, it's not enough for the creation of metamorphic rock.

Also, where in the Bible does it mention that Noah got all the animals except dinosaurs?
How many more times do I have to tell you; the dinosaurs never existed the bones were put there by God to test our faith.

:rolleyes:
you people are far too clever for me, and i'm supposedly clever! hah! not saying i'm agreeing with you though, just don't have the ability to debate very well. All I know is that God did it, not sure how.
Reply 63
dinosaurs - >65 million years ago

supposed flood - ~ 6000 years ago

"and thus Noah spake unto the animals, and he spaketh good, but the Mamenchisaurs were too large, measuring 90 cubits, and thus Noah spake 'not on my ark', and the Compsognathus tiddled up the side of the ark, and Noah spake unto it 'no weeing on my ark', and thus the dinosaurs died out.' (Matthew 16:32)

It's true.
ShiningLight
you people are far too clever for me, and i'm supposedly clever! hah! not saying i'm agreeing with you though, just don't have the ability to debate very well. All I know is that God did it, not sure how.
It's not about being clever (though it can help :p: ) it's about just using some reasoning and reading around.

I'm not against people believing in God, for many it is a good thing. I am against people ignoring physical evidence infront of their face though and using a mixture of bad logic, lies and just plain ignorance to 'attempt' to counter actual evidence.

So the Bible is wrong about a few things, that doesn't mean God doesn't exist.
Reply 65
I've always been of the opinion that, if you define God as the creator of the universe, then whatever caused the Big Bang IS God, and therefore God exists.
Unfortunately, using this definition, God could be nothing more than a very large concentration of energy, and highly unlikely to care about humans or how they live. Still, it cheers some people up...
Reply 66
Funny how some people have 100% certainty in an unobserved "big bang" but no doubt would lambast someone with a similar level of faith in God :wink:
exactly my initial point
Reply 68
philjw
Funny how some people have 100% certainty in an unobserved "big bang" but no doubt would lambast someone with a similar level of faith in God :wink:

Funny how some people have 100% certainty in an unobserved "gravity" but no doubt would lambast someone with a similar level of faith in the big bang.
Reply 69
Big bangs out of date. String theory's where it's at. :cool:
Reply 70
Bismarck
Funny how some people have 100% certainty in an unobserved "gravity" but no doubt would lambast someone with a similar level of faith in the big bang.

Even funnier how some people have managed to go through their lives without observing gravity. Of course you know the difference between gravity and cosmological theories.
Evil-Tuna
Big bangs out of date. String theory's where it's at. :cool:
String theory is about getting a theory to describe gravity in quantum theory. It would then be applied to the big bang model, much in the way relativity is applied to it now.
philjw
Lets see, we've got the following things as evidence for the big bang :

Cosmic microwave background
Elemental ratios in precise agreement with nucleosynthesis of the big bang
Non-static universe
Evolution of galaxies and stars
Particle horizon (ie we can only see so far back in time)

Evidence for 'instant creation' ala the Bible's version :

The Bible.

Evidence against the Bible's take on things, aside those already mentioned for the big bang :

Lack of evidence of flooding across the entire globe (aka Noah)
Geological evidence showing the earth is older than 6,000 years
Solar dynamics put the sun was WAY older than 6,000 years
Fossils showing the multitude of extinct species
Human civilisations dating back much further than 6,000 years like the indiginous people of Australia.

NONE of that says "God doesn't exist" and I don't ridicule people for their faith. I ridicule people for completely ignoring over a century of evidence from just about every corner of science and just plain obviousness. If the Earth flooded totally 6,000 years ago killing everyone but Noah, why are there so many 'native people' in other parts of the world (Australia and America for instance) which seem to have been spared the drowning?
philjw
Of course you know the difference between gravity and cosmological theories.
Cosmological theories incorporate relativity into them, since much of the universe is influenced by gravity. Given we've an extremely accurate model of gravity, it gives us more confidence when using it to produce cosmology models.
Reply 72
AlphaNumeric
String theory is about getting a theory to describe gravity in quantum theory. It would then be applied to the big bang model, much in the way relativity is applied to it now.
Lets see, we've got the following things as evidence for the big bang :

Cosmic microwave background
Elemental ratios in precise agreement with nucleosynthesis of the big bang
Non-static universe
Evolution of galaxies and stars
Particle horizon (ie we can only see so far back in time)

Evidence for 'instant creation' ala the Bible's version :

The Bible.

Evidence against the Bible's take on things, aside those already mentioned for the big bang :

Lack of evidence of flooding across the entire globe (aka Noah)
Geological evidence showing the earth is older than 6,000 years
Solar dynamics put the sun was WAY older than 6,000 years
Fossils showing the multitude of extinct species
Human civilisations dating back much further than 6,000 years like the indiginous people of Australia.

NONE of that says "God doesn't exist" and I don't ridicule people for their faith. I ridicule people for completely ignoring over a century of evidence from just about every corner of science and just plain obviousness. If the Earth flooded totally 6,000 years ago killing everyone but Noah, why are there so many 'native people' in other parts of the world (Australia and America for instance) which seem to have been spared the drowning?
Cosmological theories incorporate relativity into them, since much of the universe is influenced by gravity. Given we've an extremely accurate model of gravity, it gives us more confidence when using it to produce cosmology models.

I think you're punching air here - all I remarked on was the certainty with which "the Big Bang" is believed by many who could not stand someone with theistic beliefs.

And the difference is - when people make comparisons with "the theory of gravity" they try to make their opponent look silly because of course nobody denies that things generally fall to the ground. But very few people actually know anything indepth about 'theories of gravity' unless they've studied high-level physics. Everybody knows *something* must be making the apples fall, but not everybody understands what that is. If indeed anybody really does; I don't know myself as I'm not a scientist. Now, applying this to cosmology, of course everybody knows *something* must have happened to produce the universe, but I doubt there is anyone on this board who can say with 100% certainty and convincing proof what that thing was.

And yet the vast majority of sixth-formers and undergrads on these boards somehow 'know' it was some magic "big bang". If anything I'm criticising a lack of knowledge here.
Reply 73
ShiningLight
Darwin actually rebuked his theory on his deathbed so that one surely stands strong.

He did feel there was a God and yeah, he got depressed afterwards, "I have killed God" and all that. But, and maybe I'm just very cynical here, if he believed God did exist, and if he knew he was about to die, and if he thought maybe the big man (who he would be seeing pretty soon, he thought) wouldn't be too happy with him, doesn't it make sense to back pedal and say "Umm...nah, I take it all back."?
So, nope, don't think it does stand strong. Nice try though.
philjw
I think you're punching air here - all I remarked on was the certainty with which "the Big Bang" is believed by many who could not stand someone with theistic beliefs.

And the difference is - when people make comparisons with "the theory of gravity" they try to make their opponent look silly because of course nobody denies that things generally fall to the ground. But very few people actually know anything indepth about 'theories of gravity' unless they've studied high-level physics. Everybody knows *something* must be making the apples fall, but not everybody understands what that is. If indeed anybody really does; I don't know myself as I'm not a scientist. Now, applying this to cosmology, of course everybody knows *something* must have happened to produce the universe, but I doubt there is anyone on this board who can say with 100% certainty and convincing proof what that thing was.

And yet the vast majority of sixth-formers and undergrads on these boards somehow 'know' it was some magic "big bang". If anything I'm criticising a lack of knowledge here.

Ah the old if you personally don't fully understand it yourself assume pretend that the science is not understood by anyone and therefore God did it argument.

Lets apply that logic to another situation.

Since I am not an automotive engineer I don’t fully understand how the engine in my car works (although I have a pretty good idea of it in a fairly general sense.)

Therefore it is safe to assume no one understands exactly how an engine works.

Therefore the engine in my car does not exist and the only reason it moves forward is because God is out the back pushing.

Reply 75
ShiningLight
I'm not saying that evolution and the big bang are wrong, because they could well be, but even though theres lots to support these ideas, its not fact. It annoys me when people laugh at others thoughts.

And what anoys me is how people in the suposedly 'educated western world' can try to refute scientific research on the basis of myth. The Bible is not a science book and provides no evidence for the 'theories' fundamental interpretation finds. Basic GCSE Geology on all national syllabi destroys any conviction that dinosaurs and man ever co-exists, or that there was a flood that engulfed the world (where's the masses of marine deposits for gods sake?') in written history.

Laugh at others thoughts? Well I'm sorry but that's all they are 'thoughts', not evidence, not research, nothing, just the random conjecture. If you want to disprove the big bang go for it, don't just give random statements and say they are as equally valid as if you'd spent years researching them:mad: Disprove all the geology I have learnt in the last 5 years by saying 'it's just a theory', go for it!:mad:

Sorry I'll stop ranting .... programme was irritating, full of sycophant christians ....
philjw
but I doubt there is anyone on this board who can say with 100% certainty and convincing proof what that thing was.
I doubt anyone on Earth could either, but then would you accept 99.999% certainty? 99%? 98? 90?

There is a point where you've so much evidence that you remove 'reasonable doubt' from the equation and the only way to deny the evidence is by being irrational.
philjw
So because 16~21 year olds don't have sufficent knowledge it negates the knowledge of people like Hawking, Turok, Einstein, Hubble, Penrose etc?

Instead of listening to all those people (many of whom have a belief in a God!) about there being shedloads of evidence for the BB, instead some people ignore all that (along with repeatable experiments backing up theory and even technology based on those theories we use every day!) and go with a book which has to be taken as allegory at best or else it's riddled with "That doesn't square up with reality" problems.
Reply 77
Nefarious
Ah the old if you personally don't fully understand it yourself assume pretend that the science is not understood by anyone and therefore God did it argument.

Lets apply that logic to another situation.

Since I am not an automotive engineer I don’t fully understand how the engine in my car works (although I have a pretty good idea of it in a fairly general sense.)

Therefore it is safe to assume no one understands exactly how an engine works.

Therefore the engine in my car does not exist and the only reason it moves forward is because God is out the back pushing.

Completely off the bat again. Did I use that argument? No. I do believe in God, but not for that reason. Please read my actual post.

The point I was trying to get across is that some people will believe something on a fairly flimsy basis (speaking about their personal understanding) while at the same time accusing theists of wilful ignorance.
Reply 78
AlphaNumeric
I doubt anyone on Earth could either, but then would you accept 99.999% certainty? 99%? 98? 90?

There is a point where you've so much evidence that you remove 'reasonable doubt' from the equation and the only way to deny the evidence is by being irrational.
So because 16~21 year olds don't have sufficent knowledge it negates the knowledge of people like Hawking, Turok, Einstein, Hubble, Penrose etc?

Instead of listening to all those people (many of whom have a belief in a God!) about there being shedloads of evidence for the BB, instead some people ignore all that (along with repeatable experiments backing up theory and even technology based on those theories we use every day!) and go with a book which has to be taken as allegory at best or else it's riddled with "That doesn't square up with reality" problems.

Aside from the fact that this has gone way off topic... you're still responding to arguments I haven't made!
philjw
The point I was trying to get across is that some people will believe something on a fairly flimsy basis (speaking about their personal understanding) while at the same time accusing theists of wilful ignorance.
Considering science's track record for unravelling the way the universe works (just look at the PC infront of you if you aren't sure) and religions track record to do the opposite along with the basic premise of scientific methodolgy, that repeatable experiments can demonstrate a prediction of theory, it makes more sense to put your faith in whose getting close to the truth in scientists than theologians (by truth I'm refering to the behaviour of the universe, not if god exists).

After all, if a scientist says "Electronics works like this...." you can say "Go on then, show me" and he/she can. Ask your local priest for evidence of the great flood and he'll be a bit short on anything other than "The bible says so" while a scientist can demonstrate evidence to the contrary.

People tend to put their backing into groups with a good track record.

Latest

Trending

Trending