The Student Room Group

20 yr old, 4 Years of Lifting Progress (PICS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Excuse me for asking but... so?

Fat guy comes into fitness telling everyone we could all be arnies if we wanted to.

FYL. Do you think maybe you've overdone it on the food?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by RollerBall
Do you think maybe you've overdone it on the food?

I mean jeez, you look like 60kg in your profile pic.

:lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Good progress....your back looked particularly impressive.
Can't get really good detail in my legs for some reason, even when i'm low BF. Not sure why...

...because you're body fat isn't as low as you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by CJKay
Excuse me for asking but... so?

It's like someone who doesn't play guitar coming into a thread where someone posted a guitar video of themselves and calling someone terrible at guitar because they can't shred like Malmsteen.
Reply 45
Original post by JordanR
It's like someone who doesn't play guitar coming into a thread where someone posted a guitar video of themselves and calling someone terrible at guitar because they can't shred like Malmsteen.

You have some very strange comparisons, but I won't continue because apparently, despite your large muscle mass, criticism still pulls a heartstring.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
:lol:

You're not 85kg in that picture. I'm the same height but 10kg lighter. Granted I don't have very much bodyfat but I'm about that size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
You're not 85kg in that picture. I'm the same height but 10kg lighter. Granted I don't have very much bodyfat but I'm about that size.

85kg, hasn't changed for about a year. I'm down to 82kg since starting a newer food and excercise routine over the past month, but I was stuck at 85 for a long while before that.
Original post by CJKay
You have some very strange comparisons, but I won't continue because apparently, despite your large muscle mass, criticism still pulls a heartstring.

Now if you'd said "hamstring" you might have been on to something ...:tongue:

Some people don't like muscles. Who cares. If you need external motivation for that then you're a bit of an idiot. I would wager however that MOST people prefer a muscular toned look.

Also not everyone who goes to the gym wants mass. Case in point this massive 20 stone bodybuilder at my gym telling these guys how they're doing it wrong, they should be doing TUT, MMC etc...he didn't even ask their aims. Maybe they like powerlifting? Maybe it's just a hobby (I think I fall in to this bracket)? There's several guys that are fighters (muay Thai, boxing) so I KNOW they don't want mass but they like lifting for strength.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
You can't have success without haters. Justin Bieber probably tells himself that when he goes to sleep. But the principle is sound.

OP you done good. If I was there I would hit that upper chest more and lean bulk. It's not unreasonable to not have any further aesthetic targets so you can do what you want now really.

#foreverbulking :frown:
Reply 50
I think you look good in 2009 and good after you ripped your body. neither is bad!
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you update anymore? How's lifting going? :smile:
Reply 52
Cool room
Reply 53
Original post by CJKay
Well, exactly. Here's the thing though, anybody can put in hard work for bulking, but past about the age of about 12, no matter how much work you put into learning guitar you are now very much limited. Why do you think the best musicians started so early on in life?

Wow, big man, calling out my university in some sort of weak attempt to discredit my argument. I actually chose Kingston because of its industrial ties, and rejected Queen Mary in doing so. Despite it being an ex-poly, the uni actually makes up for it very well with the number of connections it has.

Hey, don't defend your uni, there is no need. Anyone who looks down on someone else, for the uni that person went to, is a douchebag. I would know because I used to do that before I realized how much of an idiot I was being for doing it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by pizzle223
Just out of interest do you feel like it was all worth it? The amount of time you put in, are you now reaping the benefits?

What spurred you to start lifting?

These are genuine questions, I'm not hating! Well done to you, you look great.. no homo.

Absolutely. It's one of the best things i've taken up of my own volition.

I play quite a lot of competitive sport and I remember around AS level time, seeing lots of athletic and fairly built guys at my school and deciding that I wanted to be as physically functional as them (so strength, agility, speed, endurance) but also look better than them aesthetically. Don't think I ever wanted to be enormous, no bigger than guys like Zyzz and Greg Plitt. And even though i'm obviously not as big as them i still think i've done pretty well to achieve those goals that i set out with. So yeh i didn't start lifting just to get jacked.

Personally I don't think it's that hard either. It doesn't require skill or talent, just motivation, patience and discipline. Naturally i'm a meso so perhaps i put on mass easier than some, but even so, the science behind putting on muscle and shredding fat can be reduced to pretty simple fundamentals.

As for what benefits i've got out of it, i'm much more all-round athletic than i used to be, and much more confident (don't really have any of the image insecurities that a lot of people unfortunately seem to suffer from). Another thing is the mentality that not many physical activities are beyond my ability. For eg., i decided to take up rowing at the beginning of this year at uni and i found that i was already in good shape for it, even though a lot of other guys had to train really hard to meet the standard.

P.S. don't start lifting thinking that having a good body alone will get you girls. Doesn't really work like that. Certainly helps set you apart though.
Reply 55
Original post by tooosh
You can't have success without haters. Justin Bieber probably tells himself that when he goes to sleep. But the principle is sound.

OP you done good. If I was there I would hit that upper chest more and lean bulk. It's not unreasonable to not have any further aesthetic targets so you can do what you want now really.

#foreverbulking :frown:

Cheers. I've bulked some more lately,basically as a last push to max out my natty gains. Up to 188lbs and about 13-14% BF. Cutting now and once i finish term next week i'm starting keto to get in my best possible shape. Then just gonna maintain.
Reply 56
Original post by 2ndClass
Dude 4 years? you need to step your game up

Tbf for the 2 yrs my nutrition was rubbish lol. But even so, I never really wanted to be massive.
Reply 57
Original post by Emre944
What do you eat, a horse? You should give some advice on diet for beginner lifters, seeing the progress you've made. Congrats.

What do you want to know?
Original post by MC armani
Absolutely. It's one of the best things i've taken up of my own volition.

I play quite a lot of competitive sport and I remember around AS level time, seeing lots of athletic and fairly built guys at my school and deciding that I wanted to be as physically functional as them (so strength, agility, speed, endurance) but also look better than them aesthetically. Don't think I ever wanted to be enormous, no bigger than guys like Zyzz and Greg Plitt. And even though i'm obviously not as big as them i still think i've done pretty well to achieve those goals that i set out with. So yeh i didn't start lifting just to get jacked.

Personally I don't think it's that hard either. It doesn't require skill or talent, just motivation, patience and discipline. Naturally i'm a meso so perhaps i put on mass easier than some, but even so, the science behind putting on muscle and shredding fat can be reduced to pretty simple fundamentals.

As for what benefits i've got out of it, i'm much more all-round athletic than i used to be, and much more confident (don't really have any of the image insecurities that a lot of people unfortunately seem to suffer from). Another thing is the mentality that not many physical activities are beyond my ability. For eg., i decided to take up rowing at the beginning of this year at uni and i found that i was already in good shape for it, even though a lot of other guys had to train really hard to meet the standard.

P.S. don't start lifting thinking that having a good body alone will get you girls. Doesn't really work like that. Certainly helps set you apart though.

Well done to you sir! I think that's a good size to aim for. That's pretty much as big as anyone should naturally be anyway isn't it? I guess you haven't halted your life for anything really and it's only opened more doors. I'm planning on getting into better shape, I've managed to loose a stone in 6 weeks just by being a bit more careful with how I eat and next to no exercise! Once I'm back at uni in sept and I can have a bit more routine I'm hopeing to really shed the excess fat, which isn't much at all but there's a lot of room for improvement. My main trouble is I get bored pretty quick so have to try and keep things new with regards to my exercising.

what would be you 3 top tips?
Reply 59
Original post by pizzle223
Well done to you sir! I think that's a good size to aim for. That's pretty much as big as anyone should naturally be anyway isn't it? I guess you haven't halted your life for anything really and it's only opened more doors. I'm planning on getting into better shape, I've managed to loose a stone in 6 weeks just by being a bit more careful with how I eat and next to no exercise! Once I'm back at uni in sept and I can have a bit more routine I'm hopeing to really shed the excess fat, which isn't much at all but there's a lot of room for improvement. My main trouble is I get bored pretty quick so have to try and keep things new with regards to my exercising.

what would be you 3 top tips?

Yeah I dont think I could get much bigger naturally without just putting on fat, nor would i want to.

Tbh the main things I would say are: keep it simple (lifting weights doesn't need to be hard at all; way too many people overthink it), and understand what is broscience and what is legit science.

In terms of constantly changing things up, its not all that necessary. For the last year or so i've been doing the same 3-day split and seen the best gains of my life. The only thing you need to make sure you're doing is increasing the weight fairly regularly. Also, don't buy into all these weird and wacky exercises that you'll see a lot of youtube trainers preach. Personally cba to over-analyse the types of exercises to do, unless i was planning on stepping on stage, which i'm not. I basically stick to the most obvious compound lifts with quite a few obvious isolation exercises thrown in where i fancy them.

Same goes for food. Calculate the right macros for what you want to achieve and hit them. No need for this 6 meals a day 2-3 hours apart BS. I have no time for that at uni, and besides i'm not keen on cooking all day even when i do have the time. At the moment, for instance, i'm cutting and i have basically one big meal a day whenever it's convenient. And it's working fine.

Thats the main thing really. I remember when I used to get neurotic about all these contrasting pieces of advice on the internet during the first 3 years or so. Made it a lot more stressful and time consuming. I'm no scientist, but once you have a basic understanding of the science behind nutrition and training it makes things so much simpler and easier to stick to. Ignore all the BS broscience and just stick to the stuff that matters basically.

You've obviously found something that's working, so stick with it. Best way to approach it all.

Quick Reply

Latest