The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Possibility of Changing Courses

Hi, I am heading to the University of Edinburgh next year after accepting an unconditional offer for a Chemistry (MChem) Degree. However, I've recently come to the decision that I no longer wish to study this course and am considering a complete change in direction and do Accounting and Finance. I obtained 5 A's at Higher Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Physics and Biology, and am also currently waiting for my Advanced Higher results within the three sciences (I know, they aren't exactly the ideal subjects for Accounting and Finance).

My question is if this is actually possible to change degrees without taking a gap year and how I would go about actually doing this. I know it's a long shot but I do not wish to take a year out. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
You need to speak to the university.

It would be easy-ish to swap if you were doing say, linguistics and wanted to change to French but this is between two different colleges.

If you meet all of the entry requirements for the course then contact the university and ask if you can change. They will likely have to speak with the department, who might take some time to get back to you.

If you definitely don't want to do your current course and there isn't a possiblity to change then you have two options - go somewhere else through clearing which will let you do the course you want or take a year out to reapply. There's zero point in starting something that you're not really wanting to take, a year out is nothing in the grand scheme of life whereas taking the wrong degree course can have much bigger implications, including financial ones.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
If its in the same university then there should be a chance to swap courses within the first 2 weeks, I did this at my university and went from marketing and HR to a media course so it should be acceptable, it just depends on if the head of the new course will accept you if there are places left etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending