The Student Room Group

To those who got A*s (or are expecting to) at A-level - how many hours per week?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophiekutie
I don't normally do extra revision thoughout the year, only homework:
Maths ----------- 3-4 hrs (per week)
Futher Maths -- 3-4 hrs
Physics --------- 2-3 hrs
Chemistry ------ 1-2 hrs
and then before exams, light revision (2 hrs a day) in the holiday before (eg easter), then try and keep up at least 1 hr a day following this (more on weekends if i can) and then in the last week or two pretty much as much time as i have! (but that's mainly because revising helps me to overcome my pre-exam stress!)
hope this is helpful? x

Do you hope to get 4A*s?
Original post by Ciaran Cobain
That would be great, thanks for all the help you've been great. Would you recommend maybe reading about these two subjects before I start college? I didn't do History at GCSE either would that be of disadvantage to me?

Glad I could help :smile:

First find out which exam board your chosen college is doing for all your subjects. Then you can start getting the relevant resources (e.g books) for the subject. Also when you find the exam board, ask people on TSR or any other student forum, for recommendations of resources.

Colleges would prefer, and some feel its essential to have a History GCSE if you're interesting in doing it as A-level. Find out whether your chosen college prefers or feels it is essential to get in for the course. I didn't do Psychology at GCSE, and I didn't feel at a disadvantage. The reason why my sixth form or many sixth form/colleges didn't feel its "essential" for Psych applicants to have a Psych GCSE is because not many schools offer it. Tutors then used Eng and maths grades to choose.
Original post by im so academic
Do you hope to get 4A*s?

i'm in year 12, but am confident i've got an A* in maths and A in chem and phys AS's...
(only just started further maths, doing it in 1 year)
will probably use the same techniques at A2, judging by the parts of the A2 syllabus i've covered already i hope to get A*s in those two. :smile:

...also i will probably increase the duration of heavy revision this year as they have cut january exams so i will be studying for more exams at once :smile: x
Reply 63
For A in Psychology and Biology, you have to do continuous work. So at least 2hours a week. I would say one hour every 3days is good! Thats just about what I did :smile:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sorry a bit irrelevant to your question but if you get an A for a subject as AS Level would it be possible to try and achieve an A* at A2? Even if you just scraped the A at AS? Just curious...Thanks.

What subjects are you doing?
Reply 65
How many extra hours per week of revision/making notes/reading or whatever you did, did you do per week (on average) in order to get (or will get) those A* grades?

Please note down the subjects as well.

I didn't... I didn't even do half the homework I was set and almost got chucked out of my A2 physics classes.... Though about 2 months before exams I started doing an extra hour of chem and a bit of maths every day.

Still came out with A*s in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
Original post by natninja
I didn't... I didn't even do half the homework I was set and almost got chucked out of my A2 physics classes.... Though about 2 months before exams I started doing an extra hour of chem and a bit of maths every day.

Still came out with A*s in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.

You must be underestimating... I've heard that Chemistry is one of the toughest A-levels around and you only did 3.5 hours per week? You must have focused really well in class and/or had brilliant teaching.
Reply 67
You must be underestimating... I've heard that Chemistry is one of the toughest A-levels around and you only did 3.5 hours per week? You must have focused really well in class and/or had brilliant teaching.

I have a good memory - and 7 days in a week, 7x1=7=/=3.5. You've heard right, I found it tougher than Further maths. Still a doddle compared to Physics at Oxford...
Original post by natninja
I have a good memory - and 7 days in a week, 7x1=7=/=3.5. You've heard right, I found it tougher than Further maths. Still a doddle compared to Physics at Oxford...

I was just interested in the Chemistry, so yes, 3.5 hours. :p:

How do you develop a good memory?
Reply 69
I was just interested in the Chemistry, so yes, 3.5 hours. :p:

How do you develop a good memory?

Oh the hour was just chemistry then a bit of maths - sorry I wasn't clear.

Luck of genetics.
Reply 70
You don't need to consistently work throughout the year, although it probably helps, for summer of A2s I started working 4-5 hours a day about 1.5 months before exams began (I had about 15 exams).
Original post by sparrowhawk4
FP3 was messed up, unfortunately :redface: I think I only have to get 89 UMS in FP2, though, so hopefully I'll be OK!

Oh yh I heard you guys got Vectorgeddon :eek:, I'm sure you'll manage that just fine :biggrin:
What about during the Autumn term?

I didn't have January exams so I didn't need to do any serious revision, but if I had a test coming up, I just allocated some hours in the week to go over my notes on the specific topic. I generally made sure I had Saturdays free from homework so I revised for any tests then.
Reply 73
does anybody here do politics or sociology?

seems everybody on the student room does blimmin maths lool
A*s in Bio/Chem/Maths/EngLit (not Psych though ew)

I think the main thing I did was that I made notes on the textbook before we covered the topic in the actual lessons - actually starting in the summer before beginning A2 and I just maintained being slightly ahead. Doesn't take that long, also I essentially ignored all useless homework. I can't stand revising in the slightest so it meant that my lessons were basically revision classes. Also around exam time I just did lots of past papers, read lots of examiner reports and reviewed the notes I'd already written. Colourful pens helped :awesome:
Reply 75
From around four months before my exams, I stayed in the library for 2 hours every night after school. I also worked in my frees.

Yeah...sounds nerdy but it worked in Jan so I hope it worked this time.
Reply 76
Original post by manic_fuzz
A*s in Bio/Chem/Maths/EngLit (not Psych though ew)

I think the main thing I did was that I made notes on the textbook before we covered the topic in the actual lessons - actually starting in the summer before beginning A2 and I just maintained being slightly ahead. Doesn't take that long, also I essentially ignored all useless homework. I can't stand revising in the slightest so it meant that my lessons were basically revision classes. Also around exam time I just did lots of past papers, read lots of examiner reports and reviewed the notes I'd already written. Colourful pens helped :awesome:

did you get your teacher to mark your exam papers?
Original post by 3mmz
did you get your teacher to mark your exam papers?

Nope. Though if you have good teachers then I'm sure doing that could be helpful.
Reply 78
Original post by manic_fuzz
Nope. Though if you have good teachers then I'm sure doing that could be helpful.

oh so who marked them then?
how did you know you were doing well?
Original post by 3mmz
oh so who marked them then?
how did you know you were doing well?

Um well in the science subjects it's not particularly difficult to go through and mark them oneself. For EngLit I focused more on just memorising quotes because it's not hard to come up with an argument on the spot, but I couldn't just craft citations out of the air. In terms of psychology I just had no idea, but doing practice questions was at least helpful to understand timing, plus the mark schemes were somewhat less subjective than those for EngLit. To be quite honest I believe that giving them to the majority of my teachers would have been detrimental - I trust my instinct more than their marking.

Quick Reply

Latest