The Student Room Group

Who was better in their prime: Vidic, Ferdinand or Campbell?

Scroll to see replies

Good debate this.

Interesting that some people have brought Adams and Stam in to it. I would put both of those players behind the three we are discussing here.

Adams was a very strong defender and good leader of a back line. He was really good in the air. However I don't think he would have been as effective in the modern game. People used to laugh off the 'donkey' chants about him being clumsy on the ball and it didn't matter back then but I think the game has moved on and at the very top of the game you need your centre backs to have a better all round game. I also think Adams, like Bould, Dixon and Winterburn, all looked better as they were part of a really good unit that was better than the sum of their parts, I am not sure they would have looked as good in a different environment. Adams would have still been a leading centre back today, but I don't think he would have been at one of the title challenging clubs, he would be more like a Chris Samba type figure.

Actually if we are talking about Arsenal centre backs the one that could have pushed Vidic, Ferdinand and Campbell would be Keown. His man marking was about the best seen in the Premier League and when you see the top strikers from his era interviewed about who was their toughest opponent they tend to say Keown. He played in an era with a lot of top English strikers and he was very good at sticking to them like glue and physically bullying them. IMO Keown was a really underrated player, he was top draw.

Stam on the other hand I think was a touch overrated. Good, but not in the class of the later United centre backs Ferdinand and Vidic. Fans liked Stam because he was strong and built like a tank and he had good pace but he was not particularly agile on the turn and prone to making mistakes against fast forwards.

I think there's little between the three in the title of the thread. If pushed I would go Rio, Sol, Vidic but its a toss up really.
Yeah, the only player Vidic seems to have struggled massively with is Liverpool Torres. I think Vidic just enjoyed breaking him too much.
Reply 22
Original post by scotttb
Vidic>Campbell>Ferdinand, although Jaap Stam was better than all three of them.

Really? What made Stam better than them? Just curious.
Reply 23
Original post by Manchester United
Vidic.

He still is one of the best CB's in the world, but a few years ago, I'd say he was arguably the greatest CB ever (obviously it's hard to compare today with other generations).

You're entitled to your opinion.

But Vidic better than Cannavaro, Nesta, Baresi?
Vidic.
Original post by Cable
You're entitled to your opinion.

But Vidic better than Cannavaro, Nesta, Baresi?

On second thoughts, probably not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Manchester United
On second thoughts, probably not.

Ok lol. But don't get me wrong. Vidic has been a great CB and will obviously go down as a legend for Man Utd.
Reply 27
I'd probably say Vidic because from a subjective point of view, he's my type of defender - all action, leader, organiser, awesome in the air and with his tackling. He was a magnificient signing by SAF and it's great to see him as our captain. He still has those attributes but to a lesser degree, sadly, due to injuries. But with him in the side from 2006-2009, you never really worried.

Ferdinand though, is one of those defender who as said above makes the job look easy, probably doesn't get the kudos he deserves. But last season, we wouldn't have won the title had it not been for his skills. Skills which as he gets older, he can maintain as his games doesn't involve the intensity that Vidic/Campbell need.

Campbell was immense also but Vidic for me just is a name who when he was, or is on the teamsheet, brings calm to my nerves.
Reply 28
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Good debate this.

Interesting that some people have brought Adams and Stam in to it. I would put both of those players behind the three we are discussing here.

Adams was a very strong defender and good leader of a back line. He was really good in the air. However I don't think he would have been as effective in the modern game. People used to laugh off the 'donkey' chants about him being clumsy on the ball and it didn't matter back then but I think the game has moved on and at the very top of the game you need your centre backs to have a better all round game. I also think Adams, like Bould, Dixon and Winterburn, all looked better as they were part of a really good unit that was better than the sum of their parts, I am not sure they would have looked as good in a different environment. Adams would have still been a leading centre back today, but I don't think he would have been at one of the title challenging clubs, he would be more like a Chris Samba type figure.

Good to hear. I didn't watch much of Adams and Stam back in the day as I followed other leagues instead at the time. But I knew they were good defenders (since I regularly watched English football anyway). When I get the time, I'll watch more of Adams and Stam to come to a more objective opinion about them.

Actually if we are talking about Arsenal centre backs the one that could have pushed Vidic, Ferdinand and Campbell would be Keown. His man marking was about the best seen in the Premier League and when you see the top strikers from his era interviewed about who was their toughest opponent they tend to say Keown. He played in an era with a lot of top English strikers and he was very good at sticking to them like glue and physically bullying them. IMO Keown was a really underrated player, he was top draw.

Interesting to hear.
Stam on the other hand I think was a touch overrated. Good, but not in the class of the later United centre backs Ferdinand and Vidic. Fans liked Stam because he was strong and built like a tank and he had good pace but he was not particularly agile on the turn and prone to making mistakes against fast forwards.

Fair point.
I think there's little between the three in the title of the thread. If pushed I would go Rio, Sol, Vidic but its a toss up really.

Ok.

There's no denying that all three have been fantastic defenders over the years. So it's understandably hard to choose between them.
Reply 29
Original post by Aky786UK
I'd probably say Vidic because from a subjective point of view, he's my type of defender - all action, leader, organiser, awesome in the air and with his tackling. He was a magnificient signing by SAF and it's great to see him as our captain. He still has those attributes but to a lesser degree, sadly, due to injuries. But with him in the side from 2006-2009, you never really worried.

Ferdinand though, is one of those defender who as said above makes the job look easy, probably doesn't get the kudos he deserves. But last season, we wouldn't have won the title had it not been for his skills. Skills which as he gets older, he can maintain as his games doesn't involve the intensity that Vidic/Campbell need.

Campbell was immense also but Vidic for me just is a name who when he was, or is on the teamsheet, brings calm to my nerves.

I understand.

I remember Man Utd having defensive problems last season, especially with set pieces and when Vidic came back, their defence was solid again. Of course, Rio also played his part.
Vidic/Ferdinand werent the same on their own whereas Sol was just a one man beast. Rio/Vidic were unplayable in 2008, but dont forget that Sol led the defense that went 1000 odd minutes in the CL without conceding a goal in 2006 vs Real/Juve/Barca etc. Sol was the complete defender, physically unbeatable, awesome in the air but also fast and with great anticipation/positioning as well. Perfect tackling tekkers as well.

So for me. Sol>Vidic>Rio.

---

All time EPL defense wouldnt include any of them tbh:

Schmeichel
Neville Terry Adams Cole
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Zürich
Vidic/Ferdinand werent the same on their own whereas Sol was just a one man beast. Rio/Vidic were unplayable in 2008, but dont forget that Sol led the defense that went 1000 odd minutes in the CL without conceding a goal in 2006 vs Real/Juve/Barca etc. Sol was the complete defender, physically unbeatable, awesome in the air but also fast and with great anticipation/positioning as well. Perfect tackling tekkers as well.

So for me. Sol>Vidic>Rio.

---

All time EPL defense wouldnt include any of them tbh:

Schmeichel
Neville Terry Adams Cole

Agree that Campbell was better than Vidic and Rio. But in what way was Adams better than Sol? I didn't follow Adams that much. So it would be nice to get your input.

Also, surely Sol was better than J.Terry? Don't get me wrong. Terry was a great defender in his prime. But like you said, Sol was an absolute beast. A complete defender. Why do you think Terry was better than Sol?
Original post by Cable
Agree that Campbell was better than Vidic and Rio. But in what way was Adams better than Sol? I didn't follow Adams that much. So it would be nice to get your input.

Also, surely Sol was better than J.Terry? Don't get me wrong. Terry was a great defender in his prime. But like you said, Sol was an absolute beast. A complete defender. Why do you think Terry was better than Sol?

Adams had pretty much everything Sol had. Comanding, unbeatable in the air, organised, well positioned but for me he was Mr. Arsenal which added that bit more to his game. Sol didnt have that love for Arsenal so maybe that's clouded it but it also took away from his game. Watch Adams in Euro 96 sometime on ESPN classic, the guy was so so good. Have a soft spot for Adams as well because my dad used to know him from round the pubs and he was such a decent bloke.

Didnt want to combine Sol with Adams due to them being so similar so JT was the obvious partner. Terry is an unbelievable defender as well tbh. Maybe Adams + Rio would be the best combo...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Zürich
Adams had pretty much everything Sol had. Comanding, unbeatable in the air, organised, well positioned but for me he was Mr. Arsenal which added that bit more to his game. Sol didnt have that love for Arsenal so maybe that's clouded it but it also took away from his game. Watch Adams in Euro 96 sometime on ESPN classic, the guy was so so good. Have a soft spot for Adams as well because my dad used to know him from round the pubs and he was such a decent bloke.

Didnt want to combine Sol with Adams due to them being so similar so JT was the obvious partner. Terry is an unbelievable defender as well tbh. Maybe Adams + Rio would be the best combo...

Ok.

Quick Reply

Latest