The Student Room Group

Single people, how do you cope without someone?

I'm feeling sort of down, I'm a 19 year old male, who's desperate for a girlfriend, I feel like there is literally no women out there that will be remotely attracted to me!!! So I just wondered, people who are single, how do you guys cope?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just deal with it really. I occasionally feel down about it but I realise this won't change anything. I try to be optimistic and hope that one day i'll meet the right person for me.
I'm single , but i find having really close female friends are a suitable alternative to turn to when your feeling down :smile:

And vice versa
I've been single for 2 years now, I try not to dwell on that fact but every now and again I feel down about it, but then I think of all my friends messed up relationships and think I'm better off single :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I read The Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness" every day, and affirm my knowledge that relationships aren't necessary to lead a joyful life :wink:
Reply 5
I'm 14 so I don't mind
Ive been happily single for a year through choice
there's nothing sad about it, there's positives and negatives for being single and in a relationship so focus on the positives:smile:
E.g. I see the positives as having complete freedom, no restrictions, give myself time to get to know myself (sounds weird but I know people that are constantly in relationships from one to the next because they 'don't like being on their own' which isn't good for them), no feeling crappy after arguments etc, no heartbreak to deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile
By being awesome.
with a lot of Game of Thrones mainly.
I'd probably find you attractive :dontknow:

I just sort of... not think about it that much. I mean, I do go through periods of intense longing, but I try my best to get over it. My pillow is also good company.
I'm not actually that bothered. My friends have changed into completely different people when they've been in relationships, and I've had to cut ties with my best friend because of it. For these reasons a girlfriend is something I think I'd best avoid for a little while.
Reply 11
Original post by Maid Marian
I'd probably find you attractive :dontknow:

I just sort of... not think about it that much. I mean, I do go through periods of intense longing, but I try my best to get over it. My pillow is also good company.

Ha you may not find me attractive, I'm sure all the guys we after you :wink:
My girlfriend broke up with me about a month ago, we only lasted a month in the first place so it wasn't so bad I guess, but even to start with I was pretty down. Then I eventually figured that my time is too important to just waste pining over someone I can no longer have, and I started doing my own thing...going into starbucks, sitting down with a flat white and just reading a book for however long I wanted, or spontaneously meeting up with a friend and going to the pub for a drink with them, then taking a walk through a park... I don't know, I just figured that I have to do something I enjoy, especially since i'm now on a gap year and won't have much time to do this stuff once I go to uni next year, since i'm studying medicine.

I also joined the gym and I'm going pretty much every day.

Sorry if I seemed to ramble on, but all I'm trying to say is - it's your life, do whatever will make you happy, don't think that you have to be in a relationship to do so. This phase will most likely pass again after some time...then it'll come back, then it'll pass. Hopefully you'll find a nice girl who will make you happy and you can do the same to her.

All the best OP.
Reply 13
Well, that and just thinking that I'll find THE person to be with eventually - I just need to keep talking to people :wink:
Don't really care. Had a realtionship for 2 years, there are positives and negatives - a lot of people don't realise what it is to be free :colonhash:
Reply 15
I come on TSR.
To be honest, I have never thought of it like that - Ive not really had a serious relationship so I probably don't know what im missing out on. I guess I am not that needy and keep myself to myself so never actually desired a relationship.

You shouldn't be "desperate" as if you aren't content on your own for a while then I think your relationship could get 'clingy' very quickly which would cause relationship problems.
Cope!?! Cope!?! Its awesome! I find single life far less cluttered. I can divulge 100% of my time to enjoying myself!

I workout, study loads, meet loads of different people, spend time with my family or just go out and do something on my own sometimes. I find being single allows me to think more freely and I can build lots of really good relationships with my family and friends.

I also whack off a lot.

Enjoy yourself while you can!
(edited 10 years ago)
Pretty well to be honest, I have crushes on far more actors than is probably healthy, but it livens up the boring moments, I hang out with my friends, I enjoy the full glory of having a whole bed to myself, I read lots of books and watch lots of films and TV programmes, and study occasionally :lol: It only bothers me if I fancy someone at the time, but there's huge gaps inbetween where being single is AWESOME. As other people have said, I've never had a relationship though so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But I'm happy as I am for now. :biggrin: I can buy clothes without caring what my partner thinks, my brother offers plenty of opinions but siblings don't count when it comes to clothes, I can do stuff just for me. Plus there's always cats and adoption and things in the future so I might never get married or have a relationship.
(edited 10 years ago)
I see my friends a lot. By going out with my last boyfriend, a lot of my friends turned against me and even though they hurt me I decided I could forget (very different than forgiving!) and so I guess by being single, I have my friends. Even though a lot of them are in relationships and I can feel like a 3rd wheel sometimes I still have other single friends to hang out with. Plus no guy drama for me! I just go to the bar if it gets really bad when we're out to get away for a moment! I think to myself that at the end of the day, I'm studying and that will always come first and by being single, it can. It's completely my decision whether to go out or not and by being single and being able to have more freedom I have managed to fit in better at uni and make some really great friends.

I'm not gunna lie to you though, sometimes it is a pain. Especially when it feels like eeeeveryone has someone but that's really not true :smile: I've realised that at 19 years old, It's unlikely for a relationship to last forever anyway (obviously some can!) and when I finish uni I want to be able to decide where I go myself and what I want my first place to look like myself while I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending