The Student Room Group

How much studying for theory test did you do?

How much studying did you do for your theory test?

I bought the highway code and the AA theory test for car drivers at the end of June. My theory test is booked for the 6th of august.

I planned to do loads of work for it, because it's a lot of money to be forking out to redo it. But I've been busier than I thought I would be.

Most of the highway code it seems that I already knew and what I didn't know is pretty much common sense. The theory questions are apparantly based on the highway code, although it seems quite loosely.

And my hazard perception is coming along. During lessons, I've always ended up doing the right thing at the right time which is a good sign. For example there was someone on roller skates coming in the opposite direction. Where we would have crossed, there was a car parked on my side of the road. The guy skating was swerving all around the road, so I made the decision, to slow down and wait for him to go by, before going past the car. My instructor didn't have to touch the brakes at all and said he would have done the same thing. Except I was trying to be sneaky, by going slow enough so that by the time I was at the car, the skater was gone by, so I didn't have to stop completely. Although I was in 2nd gear and going so slow I did end up stalling :blush: It was a warm day so we had the windows down and the guy apologised for making me stop and stall. At least stalling was better than crashing into the guy or the car ...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I decided to do mine off common sense without so much as glancing at the revision guide or CD. I aptly failed, but only by one mark, and passed the hazard perception. I was equally myopic the second time and only spent an hour or two revising, but I did pass. Essentially there's a lot of common sense in there but just facts and figures to learn. Hazard perception isn't worth the hassle, just don't try and cheat it :smile:
I know people who spent between 2 days - 2 weeks on it really. Like you said, a lot of it is common sense but there are some things you need to learn (like road signs and stopping distances etc).
Reply 3
I have done about 1-2 hours a day for the past 2 weeks and try to do at least 2 mock tests a day! Trying to perfect my theory knowledge and then moving onto hazard perception - although I'm cutting it fine, my test is in 6 days!
i never bought any books or cds or anything else - i downloaded the free test app and just took test after test after test, dozens a day at times

and passed no problem - both the UK and irish one
Reply 5
Original post by silverbolt
i never bought any books or cds or anything else - i downloaded the free test app and just took test after test after test, dozens a day at times

and passed no problem - both the UK and irish one

Which app is that?
Reply 6
I left myself 3 weeks to do it and practiced/read for about 30 minutes a day for the first two weeks and then about 1.5-2 hours a day in the last week.

I read the Highway Code first, did some mock tests, realised my scores were pitifully low so read the Highway Code again. The second time round a lot more things stuck in my head because I could relate it to other things/scenarios from the mock test.

I used the official DSA app (£3.99) to do the mock tests as well as my Drive Success CD. The app also contains a copy of the Highway Code.

Hope this helps and good luck!
I spent a week and a bit going through the questions, one chapter a day.

Did the mock tests several times a day and practised the hazard perception online.

Didn't bother with the highway code as all that is in the questions anyway.
Original post by rsb93
Which app is that?

couldnt tell you its actual name now as im in ireland but just search for theory driving test apps
Reply 9
Original post by silverbolt
couldnt tell you its actual name now as im in ireland but just search for theory driving test apps

how much "revision" did you do?

is the app the DSA toolkit going to be enough?
Reply 10
Original post by ResultsDday
I spent a week and a bit going through the questions, one chapter a day.

Did the mock tests several times a day and practised the hazard perception online.

Didn't bother with the highway code as all that is in the questions anyway.

what are the chapters please?
Reply 11
Just crammed for 3 days straight.
Original post by anony.mouse
How much studying did you do for your theory test?

I bought the highway code and the AA theory test for car drivers at the end of June. My theory test is booked for the 6th of august.

I planned to do loads of work for it, because it's a lot of money to be forking out to redo it. But I've been busier than I thought I would be.

Most of the highway code it seems that I already knew and what I didn't know is pretty much common sense. The theory questions are apparantly based on the highway code, although it seems quite loosely.

And my hazard perception is coming along. During lessons, I've always ended up doing the right thing at the right time which is a good sign. For example there was someone on roller skates coming in the opposite direction. Where we would have crossed, there was a car parked on my side of the road. The guy skating was swerving all around the road, so I made the decision, to slow down and wait for him to go by, before going past the car. My instructor didn't have to touch the brakes at all and said he would have done the same thing. Except I was trying to be sneaky, by going slow enough so that by the time I was at the car, the skater was gone by, so I didn't have to stop completely. Although I was in 2nd gear and going so slow I did end up stalling :blush: It was a warm day so we had the windows down and the guy apologised for making me stop and stall. At least stalling was better than crashing into the guy or the car ...

I've got mine this Friday and at the moment have just had a flick through the highway code and noted down all the facts e.g speed limits for cars and cars with trailers, which type of emergency vehicle has which coloured flashing lights, when to use the horn etc. Then I've just started doing practise theory tests of the web. On the DirectGov website there are two (dunno if that's been mentioned :smile:). The first time round, with no revision, I failed by like 2 marks. After noting down the facts I gained like 5 marks :tongue:

Of course that could just mean that the 2nd test is easier..... :tongue:

Anyway good luck with your test :smile:
Original post by Ripper-Roo
how much "revision" did you do?

is the app the DSA toolkit going to be enough?

Revision? as in studying the work book, none, zero, nout, nothing - just used the app
Original post by Ripper-Roo
what are the chapters please?

There's fourteen chapters in the official theory test book published by the DSA.
Reply 15
Revised a little on the day of the test, but mostly done the questions on theory test apps.
Reply 16
I did about two hours a day for a week. I used the CD and went through all of the questions in all of the sections till i got it right and remembered the questions. Very easy to pass that way.
Reply 17
avoid reading the book from end to end.

Do a mock test first, note down all the ish you don't know and then guess, all the stuff you didn't know study and memories them using highway code book, then do another test, follow this procedure several times a day, for maybe 2-5 days and you should be ok.

one thing though, the stuff you know, you need to do lots of test and that repetition is important because during the theory test you might panic so you need to have that extra confidence.

hope this helps.
Loads!
Reply 19
Its not that hard common sense to be honest, although you will need a bit of learning. Without looking into it and doing test you could easily get 36 and pass your hazard. I practiced about 3 weeks with the official theory CD doing a mock everyday. I studied the subjects 5 days before and practiced the ones that I wasn't good at. Its easy you can pass even if you have a weeks revision, make sure you do at least 3 mocks or so before you leave the house just so your geared up. Check out this video for the hazard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWyiW4PXWw8 really good video helps out loads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending