The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Loads of questions!

- With regards to your weekly timetable, are you lectures etc spread out through the day or are they all in one chunk? Basically do students go home in between lectures or stay at uni all day?

- What documents do you need to bring? at the moment I have my accomodation contract and a very short letter from UCAS saying I have an unconditional offer. I've seen people talking about 'Offer Letters' and I just wondered because I haven't received one despite having an unconditional since the start of this year. Will it be sent nearer the time or should I have received it already? I'm really worried about this in case I can't register or something without it.

- How many societies do people usually join?

- What goes on in freshers week other than the society fair?

- Will we get reading lists before we start? I'm doing Psychology and I looked at a reading list online but it seemed like hundreds of books. When should we buy the books when we get the reading list? (as i've heard students say you don't use them all)

Thankyou!!!
Hi, thanks for all your questions - hopefully I won't miss anything out!

Weekly Timetable
This varies from course to course, and also dependant on which modules and electives you take. If you do have gaps in the day (and are living off campus), this is easily filled with working in the library, going to the sports centre, or just meeting up with friends at the Student's Union. Remember, that for every hour of contact time, you could have several hours reading/work do to for seminars and assignments.

Documents to bring with you
Once you've had your place confirmed, from 28th August you will be able to register on-line. You'll be sent all the information you need to register, but you'll need to do this before you arrive in September. Once you've registered online, you'll need to print your registration certificate and bring it with you. You'll also need to bring photographic ID so you can collect your student card.

For your accommodation, all the details will be in the contract that you've been sent, but before you arrive you'll need to make sure you've accepted your contract, pay your deposit and set up a payment plan to pay your rent. You'll need to print out a copy of your accommodation contract to show on arrival at your residence.

Don't worry about remembering all this, you will get all this information (and it will be on our website) after A-Level results day on the 15th August.

Societies
You asked "How many societies do people usually join?" - that's definitely a "how long is a piece of string" question! It varies depending on who you are and what you're interested in! During Freshers Week you'll get to see all the clubs and societies on offer at Leeds (there are over 250 to choose from!), most of them offer 'give it a go' sessions, where you can attend a range of activities and try lots of different societies out, before deciding which ones you want to join fully. That said, you can join most societies at any point during your time at Leeds, so it's never too late!

Freshers Week
For your course, each subject has their own individual timetable, so you'll have things like introductory lectures, inductions to the library etc. In addition to the Society Fairs, Leeds University Union run lots of social activities, so make sure you look out for the information in your Welcome to Leeds pack, which you'll be sent at the end of August.

Reading Lists
You'll be sent information about your reading list before you start - so don't worry about going out and buying all of the books on the list! Usually each module has one or maybe two core texts that you'd benefit from having your own copy of, these are usually explained in your introductory lectures. Our libraries have multiple copies of other popular texts, with a range of loan periods (from the standard loan down to four or even one hour!) plus reference copies.

That kept me busy for a while! I hope that helps, let me know if I've missed anything or if you have any more questions.

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi, thanks for all your questions - hopefully I won't miss anything out!

Weekly Timetable
This varies from course to course, and also dependant on which modules and electives you take. If you do have gaps in the day (and are living off campus), this is easily filled with working in the library, going to the sports centre, or just meeting up with friends at the Student's Union. Remember, that for every hour of contact time, you could have several hours reading/work do to for seminars and assignments.

Documents to bring with you
Once you've had your place confirmed, from 28th August you will be able to register on-line. You'll be sent all the information you need to register, but you'll need to do this before you arrive in September. Once you've registered online, you'll need to print your registration certificate and bring it with you. You'll also need to bring photographic ID so you can collect your student card.

For your accommodation, all the details will be in the contract that you've been sent, but before you arrive you'll need to make sure you've accepted your contract, pay your deposit and set up a payment plan to pay your rent. You'll need to print out a copy of your accommodation contract to show on arrival at your residence.

Don't worry about remembering all this, you will get all this information (and it will be on our website) after A-Level results day on the 15th August.

Societies
You asked "How many societies do people usually join?" - that's definitely a "how long is a piece of string" question! It varies depending on who you are and what you're interested in! During Freshers Week you'll get to see all the clubs and societies on offer at Leeds (there are over 250 to choose from!), most of them offer 'give it a go' sessions, where you can attend a range of activities and try lots of different societies out, before deciding which ones you want to join fully. That said, you can join most societies at any point during your time at Leeds, so it's never too late!

Freshers Week
For your course, each subject has their own individual timetable, so you'll have things like introductory lectures, inductions to the library etc. In addition to the Society Fairs, Leeds University Union run lots of social activities, so make sure you look out for the information in your Welcome to Leeds pack, which you'll be sent at the end of August.

Reading Lists
You'll be sent information about your reading list before you start - so don't worry about going out and buying all of the books on the list! Usually each module has one or maybe two core texts that you'd benefit from having your own copy of, these are usually explained in your introductory lectures. Our libraries have multiple copies of other popular texts, with a range of loan periods (from the standard loan down to four or even one hour!) plus reference copies.

That kept me busy for a while! I hope that helps, let me know if I've missed anything or if you have any more questions.

Amanda

Thank you so much!
I accepted my accomodation contract and paid the deposit. I got an email saying the payment had been taken but nothing to confirm I had accepted the contract - is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocolateorange111
Thank you so much!
I accepted my accomodation contract and paid the deposit. I got an email saying the payment had been taken but nothing to confirm I had accepted the contract - is this right?

Yes, that’s how it should be. If you want to be absolutely sure, go back to the original email and follow the link again it should tell you that you’ve already accepted. If there are any problems and it doesn’t tell you that, just ring or email the accommodation office (making sure you tell them your student ID and the room number and residence you’ll be living in) and they’ll be able to confirm it for you.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest