The Student Room Group

Considering hair transplant due to male hair loss-any advice or experiences?

hello all

I'm starting to lose my hair

Im 23 and just cant come to terms with losing my looks and attractiveness to women forever.

Im fairly certain that I'd like to look into a hair transplant sometime in my life.

Ive made threads about hair loss before, I honestly just think that I will never come to terms with it. Hair has such an enormous bearing on a mans attractiveness, its also linked to his identity and masculinity. Its not nice losing your looks at 23 and it the hair loss will make me look really old. I would look ridiculous bald, its not like I could pull off the Vin Diesel look, im too young anyway.

I dont think that I will get any responses on tsr, but has any here any experiences of hair transplant? Or is anyone else considering having the procedure done?

Any advice at all from anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no one??
Reply 2
I started losing my hair when I was about 20.

I'm now 24 and I've come to terms with it.

I frequently tried to grow it out in order to cover it up, but now I've done what I think it the most logical thing and simply keep my hair short (grade 1).

I feel so much better for it.
Reply 3
Original post by ScottScott
I started losing my hair when I was about 20.

I'm now 24 and I've come to terms with it.

I frequently tried to grow it out in order to cover it up, but now I've done what I think it the most logical thing and simply keep my hair short (grade 1).

I feel so much better for it.

Did you ever consider a hair transplant?

Would you ever consider one in the future?
Reply 4
Original post by bloomblaze
Did you ever consider a hair transplant?

Would you ever consider one in the future?

I did think about it, not that long ago, but with the cost of a decent one, the failure rate of it, and the fact that sometimes it can just make you look stupid, I thought I would cut my losses.

I feel a lot better for having short hair now, like I said, I'm maintaining around a grade one.

I'd give it a go for a few months if I were you!

How long is your hair at the moment?
Reply 5
I did think about it, not that long ago, but with the cost of a decent one, the failure rate of it, and the fact that sometimes it can just make you look stupid, I thought I would cut my losses.

I feel a lot better for having short hair now, like I said, I'm maintaining around a grade one.

I'd give it a go for a few months if I were you!

How long is your hair at the moment?

I would say mt hair is about 2.5-3" on top and noticeably shorter on the back and sides.
Reply 6
Give shaving your head a go, see how it looks. Like I said, I feel much better about it being short now.

Besides when I take my bike helmet off, I don't have massive helmet hair either!
Reply 7
Give shaving your head a go, see how it looks. Like I said, I feel much better about it being short now.

Besides when I take my bike helmet off, I don't have massive helmet hair either!

hi again

I really don't think I'd suit it.

has balding had an effect on your dating life at all??

I worry that its going to be MEGA-DIFFICULT to attract girls if I do become bald over the next few years. It'd be easier to come to terms with this if I was in my 30s/40s and married with kids, then I wouldnt worry as much about what women think.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 23 and my hair is getting thinner. Seems to run in the family. If it gets much worse then I'll probably get rid of most of it.

I don't think I'd consider anything like a transplant or any other kind of treatment because they can be expensive. I think I'd look a bit stupid with very little hair. I'm not too sure my head is a good shape for it but I think we're all apprehensive to some degree about a drastic change in look. We're used to seeing ourselves a particular way for a long time, so it's difficult to imagine ourselves any other way. Shave your head and any new people you meet don't care because they don't know what you used to look like.

I also think the likes of Prince William have made going bald at a relatively young age somewhat cool.
Reply 9
Original post by TheMagicRat
I'm 23 and my hair is getting thinner. Seems to run in the family. If it gets much worse then I'll probably get rid of most of it.

I don't think I'd consider anything like a transplant or any other kind of treatment because they can be expensive. I think I'd look a bit stupid with very little hair. I'm not too sure my head is a good shape for it but I think we're all apprehensive to some degree about a drastic change in look. We're used to seeing ourselves a particular way for a long time, so it's difficult to imagine ourselves any other way. Shave your head and any new people you meet don't care because they don't know what you used to look like.

I also think the likes of Prince William have made going bald at a relatively young age somewhat cool.

I could be wrong, but I think that a good quality hair transplant is less that £10,000 in the UK.
Reply 10
You shallow, shallow boy.

Perhaps when you have emerged from your post-teen insecurities you will embrace and nurture the qualities which will help you develop into a man. Until then, I wish you luck as a fragile, quivering leaf.
Reply 11
Original post by toukolou

Perhaps when you have emerged from your post-teen insecurities you will embrace and nurture the qualities which will help you develop into a man. Until then, I wish you luck as a fragile, quivering leaf.

How is he being shallow? Are you trying to say that 'men' don't have insecurities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toukolou

Hey! Welcome to your opinion, would you like a free tour?

Yes? Brilliant!

Well your opinion is of-course subjective, it holds little bearing to another persons reality.

Whilst you're free to share it & believe in it, you are expected to self-censor when it could be deemed as misinformed or offensive.

or in other-words - Shut up, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 13
All I'm suggesting is that the OP is not ready to exploit some important qualities real women consider before passing judgement on the follically challenged, like intelligence, fitness, sensitivity, humour, style, bedroom prowess etc...

There is nothing more pathetic than an insecure flower clinging to bald man syndrome to presumably make up for their follicular limitation (that may even exist only in one's own imagination).

So, sorry if I offended you Ferret, but if you're over 17, I wouldn't hold my breath for mother nature to supply you with the additional coif to feed your mile wide, inch deep ego. Your stuck on the wrong side of the ledger.
(edited 10 years ago)
I could be wrong, but I think that a good quality hair transplant is less that £10,000 in the UK.

I'd consider that expensive but if you've got that kind of money and you think it's worth it then go for it.
Reply 15
Original post by TheMagicRat
I'd consider that expensive but if you've got that kind of money and you think it's worth it then go for it.

It isnt cheap.

But its not that bad, I dont think its outrageously expensive either.

When I first heard about celebrities like Wayne Rooney/Callum Best/James Nesbitt having it done,I thought it would be ridiculous money, like £30k or more.
I could be wrong when I said less than £10k. But assuming it is less than 10k, I think I probably could afford it within the next 10 or so years. I mean, Im by no means wealthy but even on a low salary, if you saved well, it could be done, if I dont splash out on holidays/cars etc.

The price depends on how much hair needs transplanted, the quality of the surgeon etc I wouldnt be willing to get a dodgy cheap one, I'd only get a decent one from a quality clinic.
The Duke of Cambridge started losing his at around that age and seems to have accepted it, as did his uncle Edward. Hair transplants can look silly such as on Shane Warne.

I'd advise not having one.
hi again

I really don't think I'd suit it.

has balding had an effect on your dating life at all??

I worry that its going to be MEGA-DIFFICULT to attract girls if I do become bald over the next few years. It'd be easier to come to terms with this if I was in my 30s/40s and married with kids, then I wouldnt worry as much about what women think.

I haven't gone completely bald, just down to a grade 1.

Nope, in fact, I feel more confident now with less hair than I did before really.
Reply 18
Original post by barnetlad
The Duke of Cambridge started losing his at around that age and seems to have accepted it, as did his uncle Edward. Hair transplants can look silly such as on Shane Warne.

I'd advise not having one.

are you going bald?
are you going bald?

Yes I am.

Quick Reply

Latest