The Student Room Group

Not wearing glasses: friends think I'm ignoring them!

Well, I wear my glasses to read and see general things clearly.
I've to admit that I can't see things very far if I don't wear my glasses, so if a mate was waving at me from a distance, I would probably think the person was a stranger and doing something other than waving lol.

I will also admit that I hate wearing glasses; so sometimes when I walk to buy food or go to the loo, I would not wear them. Seriously effin hate them.

Unfortunately... :frown:
Since I can't see well enough without them, I would normally just walk pass a few of my mates without even saying hello, as if I'm ignoring/being upset with them, but in actual fact, I just didn't see them because of my poor vision.
A few days ago, someone I just know said that I'm "purposely avoiding" them for no reason whatsoever :frown:
To get back at me, this particular person won't even walk with me anymore since they are hinting that I'm just doing it for a show! :eek:
I was so annoyed that day really; I've explained to the person that I couldn't see well, but the person seems to just ignore it.
Yes, it's my mistake that I didn't wear my glasses but to punish me just because I didn't see them!?

Am I in the complete wrong here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just tell them you have poor eyesight and weren't wearing glasses. If he doesn't understand that then he isn't a good mate.
I used to have this problem. Now I just always wear glasses or contacts.
Reply 3
Have you considered getting contacts, I think SpecSavers do them for free.

Your friend is being an idiot
Reply 4
Have you thought about getting contact lenses? That could be a solution - you'll be able to see without having to wear glasses.
Reply 5
Original post by danny111
Just tell them you have poor eyesight and weren't wearing glasses. If he doesn't understand that then he isn't a good mate.

I did! It appears that he doesn't believe me... :s-smilie:

Original post by The Angry Stoic
I used to have this problem. Now I just always wear glasses or contacts.

Contacts don't really do anything to me to be honest : /

Original post by Nelly Yuki
Have you considered getting contacts, I think SpecSavers do them for free.

Your friend is being an idiot

And, I hate the fact that I need to poke my eyes to get them in; it scares the heck out of me :pinch:

I think so too : / It's like secondary all over again...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
not good friends if theyre not going to believe yo.

if its bothering you that much cann you wear teh glasses/
Just suck it up and wear your glasses... maybe your friends will believe you then... You clearly need them and if you don't wear them you'll end up giving yourself headaches and making your eyesight worse from straining your eyes anyway... If you're too scared or put off by contacts, just wear your glasses until you can afford laser surgery or something. Your eyesight is more important than your vanity.
I think you should probably either get contacts or just get used to your glasses. I wear glasses all the time- I don't like the feeling of having frames against my face all day but wear them anyway because it's so much easier having clear vision than everything being a complete blur. Also, if you're not wearing glasses when you should be it's likely you're straining your eyes and could be making your vision worse.
Reply 9
I had this problem when I started university so I started wearing my glasses all the time, as much as I hated doing so.
Reply 10
Original post by kka25
Well, I wear my glasses to read and see general things clearly.
I've to admit that I can't see things very far if I don't wear my glasses, so if a mate was waving at me from a distance, I would probably think the person was a stranger and doing something other than waving lol.

I will also admit that I hate wearing glasses; so sometimes when I walk to buy food or go to the loo, I would not wear them. Seriously effin hate them.

Unfortunately... :frown:
Since I can't see well enough without them, I would normally just walk pass a few of my mates without even saying hello, as if I'm ignoring/being upset with them, but in actual fact, I just didn't see them because of my poor vision.
A few days ago, someone I just know said that I'm "purposely avoiding" them for no reason whatsoever :frown:
To get back at me, this particular person won't even walk with me anymore since they are hinting that I'm just doing it for a show! :eek:
I was so annoyed that day really; I've explained to the person that I couldn't see well, but the person seems to just ignore it.
Yes, it's my mistake that I didn't wear my glasses but to punish me just because I didn't see them!?

Am I in the complete wrong here?

I am wearing eyeglasses for 17 years and I can actually say I love wearing them.I thought your reason of wearing them might be because of the look or because of the heaviness of the product.

For the first one,you can always use a contact lens but there are many researches showing that using the lens regularly is unhealthy however you can use it as a option.Personally It is really hard for me to use the lens and I love glasses and this is why I dont use this.

Or you can use http://www.ray-ban.com/international/products/optics/highstreet?gen=men&vw=grid,I am using them right now It is certainly not the most pleasant glasses type but It looks good.

There are some really light glasses that actually makes you forget that you are wearing them;It is practically like this - http://www.silhouette.com/tr/en/eyewear/sparkling-icon/6756/6050 I used these for a while and Its really comfortable so If Its the comfort that you are looking about then that might be the choice.
I don't get the isue at all. Why not wear your glasses?
I hate glasses too... I just can't get used to the feeling of them on my nose. Try contacts. Its a bit hard at first but I got used to them quite quickly, and now its effortless and I can't feel it at all :smile:
Ha story of my life. I'm getting contacts soon, I'd do that if I were you.
Reply 14
Original post by rival_
The most random things happen to people on TSR.

Absolutely!
Be grateful that you can actually see your friends with your glasses on. Some of us can't.
Reply 16
Talk to your friend, show him your glasses and explain how do you see.

I have a few similar incidents and just explained myself. It helped a lot.
Reply 17
Original post by OU Student
Some of us can't.

Must be really bad then.

I think you've misunderstood me. It's not that I'm not grateful or anything; it's just a matter of someone who doesn't understand poor vision and jumping to conclusions that the poor person who has the poor vision is (purposely) ignoring them, and doing things that's border-lining bullying.
Reply 18
Original post by Kathy89
Talk to your friend, show him your glasses and explain how do you see.

I have a few similar incidents and just explained myself. It helped a lot.

I did actually; I told the person that when I see a single letter, I'd see them as doubles, instead of the original single letter.

He doesn't seem to take it :s-smilie:
Reply 19
I wear glasses to, though my vision is too poor to be able to go around comfortably without them. But I have a friend who only puts on her glasses in lessons so that she can read off the board. So just like you, she often can't tell from a distance if she is seeing someone she knows - hence hesitates to wave back when someone waves at her etc.
Me and everyone understand that and laugh about it with her. Honestly if someone who knows you own a pair of glasses can't understand that you just have poor vision and can't see its them, then they are just being stubborn and a poor friend.

If your friends are soo keen on being said hello to every time you walk past them, then they can always just say your name. After all its your eyesight that's poor, not your hearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending