The Student Room Group

Declining firm choice, please help ... I'm scared!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Oxford-Hopeful
D they get a lot of people do this then? If so, I won't feel as scared!

It does happen more. They probably would not want an unmotivated student anyway.
Reply 21
Hi,

I have met the AAA requirements for my Firm choice, at The University of Warwick, however since I applied way back in October I have slightly changed my mind as to the course I wish to study, changing from Law to History. Unfortunately, having checked clearing it seems that Warwick or Oxford have no spaces for History this year, so my only viable option open to me which would allow me to allow me to apply for those courses would be to withdraw from my Law offer and reapply next year (whilst remaining on roll at Sixth Form and complete 2 full extra A Levels which heighten. My interest in. political history and Politics).

The only thing that I'm worried about is how angry the admissions tutor I speak to at Warwick may get with me for declining my offer. As my name suggests, im intent on applying for History at Oxford, however will the person I speak to at Warwick automarptically realise that I'm doing this and subsequently get angry? I really want to include Warrwick as one of my 5 choices next year as I love the university, and It is one of the best in the country, I'm just scared that they may get angry when I withdraw for Law and refuse to consider my History application next year. Please could somebody advise me whether this would be the case? The main reason which I am perusing more A Levels and reapplying is not because I wish to 'snub' Warwick's fantastic offer in persuit of Oxbridge, it's because I soon alised that I'd be so much better suited to an academic degree such as History rather that Law ... I just hope Warwick see it that way!

I withdrew from my firm offer this year to reapply next year and the admissions tutor I spoke to was very kind and understanding. I highly doubt they will hold a grudge against you.
Original post by Tabzqt
I withdrew from my firm offer this year to reapply next year and the admissions tutor I spoke to was very kind and understanding. I highly doubt they will hold a grudge against you.

Thank you so much for your reassurance! Was your firm offer at Warwick?
I can't believe you're serious? Do you actually think top universities have such rude staff as to yell at you?
My advice: be more confident and less naive, it will serve you well in life.
Good luck
Original post by Wim
It does happen more. They probably would not want an unmotivated student anyway.

I got AAA and am taking two full A Levels at school next year, which because of my work ethnic I'm predicted A*A in. How's that 'unmotivated'? Troll.
Original post by AlexandraS24
I can't believe you're serious? Do you actually think top universities have such rude staff as to yell at you?
My advice: be more confident and less naive, it will serve you well in life.
Good luck

I didn't know before I posted this! I thought that they'd realise that I was applying for Oxford and therefore they would hold a vendetta against me for when I apply next year! Thankfully, I've been proved mistaken.
I got AAA and am taking two full A Levels at school next year, which because of my work ethnic I'm predicted A*A in. How's that 'unmotivated'? Troll.

I think that the point is - you would not be motivated to study Law at Warwick
Reply 27

I mean for Law, calm down. You said your real passion is History, and then you would indeed be unmotivated for Law.
Original post by TenOfThem
I think that the point is - you would not be motivated to study Law at Warwick

Oh I see! I thought that he was calling me unmotivated in general! In that case, please accept my apologies!
Original post by Wim
I mean for Law, calm down. You said your real passion is History, and then you would indeed be unmotivated for Law.

Sorry, I just realised.:colondollar:
Reply 30
Does your AAA includ History?

If it doesn't I think you may struggle to convince Oxford etc to take you on board. If it does, then I'm not sure if doing two more A-Levels is worth it.
Original post by liarpoker
Does your AAA includ History?

If it doesn't I think you may struggle to convince Oxford etc to take you on board. If it does, then I'm not sure if doing two more A-Levels is worth it.

Yes, they are History, Maths and English. My further A Levels would be Government and Politics (similar skills to History) and Geography (also in a humanitarian field).
Reply 32
Thank you so much for your reassurance! Was your firm offer at Warwick?

No, my firm was Sheffield. But I'm sure they won't be any difference.
Reply 33
Yes, they are History, Maths and English. My further A Levels would be Government and Politics (similar skills to History) and Geography (also in a humanitarian field).

Hmm but the choices which require A*AA may reject you out of hand for not getting those grades at first attempt. I.e UCL and Durham do not like resitters at all for competitive courses. So it'd seem like Oxford or Warwick/KCL were your best chance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hmm but the choices which require A*AA may reject you out of hand for not getting those grades at first attempt. I.e UCL and Durham do not like resitters at all for competitive courses. So it'd seem like Oxford or Warwick/KCL were your best chance.

Ive emailed Durham and UCL, both would say that they'd consider me, Durham said that they didn't prejudice against people who take 3 years in Sixth Form, but UCL did admit that I'd be at a slight disadvantage.
Reply 35
Ive emailed Durham and UCL, both would say that they'd consider me, Durham said that they didn't prejudice against people who take 3 years in Sixth Form, but UCL did admit that I'd be at a slight disadvantage.

Hmm ok fair enough. Just be careful of taking things at face value. For example, my friend was told the same thing by UCL and Durham, and had 10 A* GCSE and A*AB at A-Level.(did one resit)

Rejected by both, but got into Oxford.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hmm ok fair enough. Just be careful of taking things at face value. For example, my friend was told the same thing by UCL, and had 10 A* GCSE and A*AB at A-Level.(did one resit)

Rejected by both, but got into Oxford.

Oh wow, that's harsh! I'm glad that your friend got into Oxford though ... Hopefully I can achieve a similar feat! Was it for History?
Reply 37
Oh wow, that's harsh! I'm glad that your friend got into Oxford though ... Hopefully I can achieve a similar feat! Was it for History?

Yep for History.

Why not LSE instead of UCL? If I remember correctly,LSE is still AAA?
Yep for History.

Why not LSE instead of UCL? If I remember correctly,LSE is still AAA?

It is, but I think that overall they are a lot more competitive. Ive always liked UCL, so I'm sure I'll apply there, however I have thought about replacing Kings with it, although that would mean applying to 5 of the most competitive unis for History, which is quite dangerous!!
Reply 39
It is, but I think that overall they are a lot more competitive. Ive always liked UCL, so I'm sure I'll apply there, however I have thought about replacing Kings with it, although that would mean applying to 5 of the most competitive unis for History, which is quite dangerous!!

That is indeed quite dangerous, you should some kind of safe option. Or you should be fine with possibly going through clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending